Re: [civilwarwest] Grant or Sherman having a Union Soldier shot?

  • Dave Gorski
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
      >Does anyone know of a specific instance when Grant or Sherman had a
      >soldier shot for cowardice, dereliction of duty, pillaging, etc.?

      After trial for murder, and having been found guilty, Gen. Grant APPROVED
      the sentence of death for 2nd Lt. Charles Lewis of the 2nd U. S. Cavalry.
      The case was then sent on to JAG Holt and then to Lincoln who also approved the
      sentence.
      There are documented cases of the death sentence being
      changed to imprisonment by Grant. Also, a couple of times Grant asking
      for mercy and Holt and Lincoln holding up the death sentence.

      AFAIK, there are no cases where, without trial, Grant summarily had someone
      executed.

      Gen. Sherman himself found a sentinel sleeping, Private Avery Sheridan,
      of the 46th Ohio Infantry. The man was sentenced to be shot, but on the
      review of JAG Holt, it was found that the CM board had not been sworn, and
      the proceedings were invalid. When forwarding the proceedings to Holt Sherman
      included a letter explaining why he felt the sentence of death should be
      carried out in such cases. Sheridan was not executed.

      As with Grant, I know of no cases of Sherman having a man executed without
      trial.

      Good sources on Civil War military justice are;

      Civil War Justice, by Robert I Alotta

      Don't Shoot That Boy, by Thomas Lowry

      Tarnished Scalpels, by Lowry & Jack D. Welsh M.D.

      Regards, Dave Gorski

      Tarnished Eagles, also by Thomas Lowry

      Regards, Dave Gorski
    • Tony Gunter
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jason van Teylingen <jvt1976@...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a specific instance when Grant or Sherman had a
        soldier shot for cowardice, dereliction of duty, pillaging, etc.?

        I seriously doubt they ever had someone shot for cowardice. The Union
        army had plenty of slots to fill in other roles (cooks, teamsters, QM,
        etc.). From the primary sources I have read, cowards were generally
        given non-combat duties if they were enlisted, or forced to resign if
        they were officers.
      • gnrljejohnston
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
          wrote:

          > Does anyone know of a specific instance when Grant or Sherman had a
          soldier shot for cowardice, dereliction of duty, pillaging, etc.?

          Sherman had a soldier shot in South Carolina for rape. It is in the
          OR's

          JEJ
        • Jason van Teylingen
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2007