Grant or Sherman having a Union Soldier shot?

  • Jason van Teylingen
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
      Does anyone know of a specific instance when Grant or Sherman had a soldier shot for cowardice, dereliction of duty, pillaging, etc.?
    • Dave Gorski
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
        >Does anyone know of a specific instance when Grant or Sherman had a
        >soldier shot for cowardice, dereliction of duty, pillaging, etc.?

        After trial for murder, and having been found guilty, Gen. Grant APPROVED
        the sentence of death for 2nd Lt. Charles Lewis of the 2nd U. S. Cavalry.
        The case was then sent on to JAG Holt and then to Lincoln who also approved the
        sentence.
        There are documented cases of the death sentence being
        changed to imprisonment by Grant. Also, a couple of times Grant asking
        for mercy and Holt and Lincoln holding up the death sentence.

        AFAIK, there are no cases where, without trial, Grant summarily had someone
        executed.

        Gen. Sherman himself found a sentinel sleeping, Private Avery Sheridan,
        of the 46th Ohio Infantry. The man was sentenced to be shot, but on the
        review of JAG Holt, it was found that the CM board had not been sworn, and
        the proceedings were invalid. When forwarding the proceedings to Holt Sherman
        included a letter explaining why he felt the sentence of death should be
        carried out in such cases. Sheridan was not executed.

        As with Grant, I know of no cases of Sherman having a man executed without
        trial.

        Good sources on Civil War military justice are;

        Civil War Justice, by Robert I Alotta

        Don't Shoot That Boy, by Thomas Lowry

        Tarnished Scalpels, by Lowry & Jack D. Welsh M.D.

        Regards, Dave Gorski

        Tarnished Eagles, also by Thomas Lowry

        Regards, Dave Gorski
      • Tony Gunter
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jason van Teylingen <jvt1976@...>
          wrote:

          > Does anyone know of a specific instance when Grant or Sherman had a
          soldier shot for cowardice, dereliction of duty, pillaging, etc.?

          I seriously doubt they ever had someone shot for cowardice. The Union
          army had plenty of slots to fill in other roles (cooks, teamsters, QM,
          etc.). From the primary sources I have read, cowards were generally
          given non-combat duties if they were enlisted, or forced to resign if
          they were officers.
        • gnrljejohnston
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
            wrote:

            > Does anyone know of a specific instance when Grant or Sherman had a
            soldier shot for cowardice, dereliction of duty, pillaging, etc.?

            Sherman had a soldier shot in South Carolina for rape. It is in the
            OR's

            JEJ
          • Jason van Teylingen
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2007