Vandenburg's Volley Fire Gun

  • Ask Me
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2007
      I'm preparing a power point presentation dealing with McClellan's
      peninsula campaign.

      Part of this presentation talks to new weapons used. The "machine
      gun" is one of weapon types discussed. I encountered a reference to a
      volley fire gun. Checking it out I came across a German language site
      discussing the volley fire gun. According to this site, the weapon was
      invented by a New Yorker and offered to the Federals. They turned it
      down and the inventor next tried to sell it to the British - who also
      declined. Finally, he offered it to the VSA and according to this
      site, the Confederate bought some.

      My question is this - Can someone shed some light on if this weapons
      was used by the Confederates and if so, where?
    • gnrljejohnston
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2007
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ask Me" <ak_dad_2@...> wrote:

        > My question is this - Can someone shed some light on if this weapons
        > was used by the Confederates and if so, where?

        Although this query has nothing to do with the war in the Western
        Theater, the best person to answer this question is one of the best CW
        weapon experts that we have. Contact JGBilby44@... and he will
        help you.

        JEJ
      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
          OK, done, see 'Photos' section
          will try to post more info later

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ask Me" <ak_dad_2@...> wrote:

          > I'm preparing a power point presentation dealing with McClellan's
          > peninsula campaign.
          >
          > Part of this presentation talks to new weapons used. The "machine
          > gun" is one of weapon types discussed. I encountered a reference to a
          > volley fire gun. Checking it out I came across a German language site
          > discussing the volley fire gun. According to this site, the weapon was
          > invented by a New Yorker and offered to the Federals. They turned it
          > down and the inventor next tried to sell it to the British - who also
          > declined. Finally, he offered it to the VSA and according to this
          > site, the Confederate bought some.
          >
          > My question is this - Can someone shed some light on if this weapons
          > was used by the Confederates and if so, where?

        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007

            Yahoo or what ever won’t let me in to look at it or access the picture. Can you try to post it here in the group e-mail?

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
              Tom, I think yahoo strips any attachments
              I'll send it to you ... and anyone else that asks... by private email.
              You'll need to email me at carlw4514@...

            • olddude33@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
                  Old Dude, you have come up with something the formidable [IMO] Hogg
                  seems to have overlooked. I think I have incorrectly identified a
                  Vandenburgh gun in particular.
                  I'll post more of what Hogg says and have now posted both of these
                  images in photos.

                  (mailto:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com) ,

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
                    Hogg says the Billinghurst-Requa gun was called a 'Volley Gun', so at
                    least I had a reason to get confused. He says the idea for such a gun
                    goes back to the origins of artillery, and there was something called
                    the Ribaudequin back in the 14th Century.

                    Billinghurst-Requa: He says Requa was the inventor, about whom we know
                    next to nothing. Billinghurst was the manufacturer. It did not use
                    metal cartridges.

                    This Vandenburgh gun : I find the blurb on this pretty amazing. He
                    couldnt sell it to the Feds or England but did so to the South? Where
                    was it manufactured? Why doesn't Hogg mention it? I have emailed Bilby
                    to see if he can shed some light.

                    I am correcting what I wrote before:

                    [ The Billinghurst-Requa] was also known as a 'Covered Bridge Gun' as
                    it saw use on the
                    defended end of a bridge ... the disadvantage of such particularly
                    directed fire being an advantage not a problem there...

                    This from WEAPONS OF THE CIVIL WAR by Ian Hogg, who describes it as a
                    "multiple firer" ... a "machine gun it wasn't"

                    Interestingly, a single percussion cap, aided by a stream of powder,
                    set off all 25 barrels in the gun in a "ragged volley".
                  • Carl Williams
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
                      Joe Bilby was unable to sign in but OK'd that I give his reply, which
                      he sent to me by private email.

                      You might know the enterprising General Beauregard got use of the
                      Requa gun!

                      "... I can tell you, however, that my article on CW "machine guns"
                      will be in "America's Civil War" in the spring. I included the Requa
                      Volley gun. It did not require a train of powder, as the explosion of
                      the cap on the central chamber ignited all 25 rounds. Ironically,
                      although it was often cited as a "bridge defense gun," I found no
                      evidence of one actually being fired in such a role. They were
                      actively used to provide covering fire during the siege of battery
                      Wagner in Charleston Harbor, however. That is the only place they
                      were extensively used in any kind of combat. Please feel free to pass
                      that on.

                      Joe Bilby"
                    • Carl Williams
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
                        the Vandenburgh gun:

                        who on earth manufactured it? ... something tells me it wasnt made in
                        the Confederacy. Yet England had rejected it.
                      • Carl Williams
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
                          OK, wikipedia... doesnt suggest who manufactured it.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volley_gun

                          "Two notable artillery-sized volley guns were developed in the
                          mid-19th century, although neither was particularly successful in
                          practice. General Origen Vandenburgh of the New York State Militia
                          designed a weapon in 1860 that had eighty-five parallel .50 calibre
                          rifle barrels. After failing to sell the weapon to the United Kingdom,
                          he reportedly sold a small number to the Confederate States of
                          America, although there is no record that they were actually used, one
                          Vandenburgh gun was located at Fort Fisher, NC. Also developed in the
                          1860s, the French mitrailleuse is an example of a multi-barreled gun
                          volley gun that could fire all of its barrels simultaneously or
                          sequentially over a short period of time."

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 8, 2007
                            seems like if we get a query from someone who doesnt normally post
                            here, just wants some help, it's just as if that person disappears.
                            You don't even know if you helped them.

                            At least we sort of stayed on topic by finding out from the Wikipedia
                            entry that a Vandenburgh gun was found at Ft Fisher after the
                            battle... thus neither involving the AoNV or the Peninsula Campaign [g].

                            Alas, no hint as to the manufacturer there or otherwise. Thus it seems
                            to me that something is broken in the assertion that the gun was
                            rejected by all but the Confederacy... IMO the CSA was quite unlikely
                            to have manufactured the contraption pictured. Whoever first came up
                            with that story just might have leapt to conclusions via this sequence:

                            - Vandenburgh invented it
                            - it was found at Ft. Fisher
                            - *leap* therefore Vandenburgh could only interest the South in it,
                            and they bought and manufactured it. Inconvenient fact that he was an
                            officer in the New York Militia is to be posed as irony.

                            just a thought
                            Carl

                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ask Me" <ak_dad_2@...> wrote:

                            > I'm preparing a power point presentation dealing with McClellan's
                            > peninsula campaign.
                          • bjer50010
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 9, 2007

                              > seems like if we get a query from someone who doesnt normally post
                              > here, just wants some help, it's just as if that person disappears.
                              > You don't even know if you helped them.
                              >
                              > At least we sort of stayed on topic by finding out from the
                              Wikipedia
                              > entry that a Vandenburgh gun was found at Ft Fisher after the
                              > battle... thus neither involving the AoNV or the Peninsula
                              Campaign [g].

                              > Alas, no hint as to the manufacturer there or otherwise. Thus it
                              seems
                              > to me that something is broken in the assertion that the gun was
                              > rejected by all but the Confederacy... IMO the CSA was quite
                              unlikely
                              > to have manufactured the contraption pictured. Whoever first came
                              up
                              > with that story just might have leapt to conclusions via this
                              sequence:

                              > - Vandenburgh invented it
                              > - it was found at Ft. Fisher
                              > - *leap* therefore Vandenburgh could only interest the South in it,
                              > and they bought and manufactured it. Inconvenient fact that he was
                              an
                              > officer in the New York Militia is to be posed as irony.
                              >
                              > just a thought
                              > Carl

                              [snips]

                              Hi Carl,

                              About the Vandenburgh gun, I caught Modern Marvels on the History
                              Channel yesterday morning, before coming into work and they were
                              reshowing the "Guns of the Civil War" episode. In the segment about
                              precursors to the machine gun they mentioned the Vandenburgh gun,
                              showed a picture of what it looked like and that was about all the
                              information they presented. They did go into more detail about the
                              Gatling gun, including what his rationale was for designing it.

                              As for your query about posters asking a question and then leaving,
                              I don't know what to suggest. I know I try to send a thank you
                              response if I ask a question, or at least to continue the discussion.

                              Best wishes,
                              Barry Jewell
                            • Carl Williams
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 11, 2007