Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Buzzard's Roost as the "Terrible Door of Death"

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
      Well one thing to remember is that he didnt launch a full out attack on Big Kennesaw, it was mainly against Cheatham Hill, which although tough is nothing like the heighths at Buzzard Roost.

      Lee
    • gnrljejohnston
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bagley" <abagley@...> wrote:

        I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
        > downtown Dalton, too.
        >
        > ArtorBart33624
        > Tampa, FL

        From what I understand, it is the only statue of JEJ

        JEJ
        Sun City Center, FL
      • gnrljejohnston
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bagley" <abagley@...> wrote:

          > You western theater folks can probably help me in understanding
          > Sherman's approach to Atlanta better than any other group of folks.
          > Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
          > Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
          > playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?
          >
          > Also, I've been to the Dug Gap site and can understand the
          > difficulties attacking troops would encounter. By any chance has
          Dug
          > Gap been cleaned up in the last 4 years? Any added interpretive
          > markers, plaques, etc.? I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
          > downtown Dalton, too.
          >
          > ArtorBart33624
          > Tampa, FL

          Art,
          This site might help give you more info on Kennesaw
          http://ngeorgia.com/history/kennesaw.html also this site
          http://ngeorgia.com/history/kolbsfarm.html

          JEJ
        • Dave Gorski
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
            >Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
            >Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
            >playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?

            My understanding is that Sherman was concerned about his supply and
            communication line, both connected to the RR line. As the Union force
            drew closer to Atlanta, guerrilla activity against them increase. Continued
            flanking movements to the right would have taken Schofield more than a
            mile further south, and in Shermans view, would have been met with a
            Confederate countermove that would take them even further from the
            lines of supply and communications. Sherman also felt that a flanking
            move was expected, and that by attacking, he had the element of
            surprise.
            The Confederate line was stretched somewhat thin in his mind, over 8
            miles, and Sherman thought he could break the line. Demonstrations were
            made on both ends of the Confederate line, but no move was made by the
            Confederates to shift troops and weaken the line, as Sherman had hoped.

            Regards, Dave Gorski