Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Interesting letter: Sherman to Rawlins, August 4th 1863

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 22, 2007
      I hope you folks don't think that I like having topics banned in the group.
      I ban them because every time we start discussing certain topics that are
      emotionally charged there are some, not all by any stretch of the
      imagination, but some, that resort to flaming tactics. That is they start
      saying rude things about the one that makes a post and not the post itself.
      There is a reason for this. When you are face to face with someone, a
      facial expression, a body movement, or a voice inflection can, in many
      instances, convey a persons feelings without even speaking. This is not
      possible in email. It has to be done with the written word. Therein is
      where the problems begin. Some put in email what they would never say if
      they were face to face with an individual. Just my opinion of course.

      Rest assured, a topic will not be banned unless I see that topic cannot be
      discussed in a civil manner. The decision to ban a topic is not based on my
      personal likes or dislikes. It is based solely on the actions of the group.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com