Re: Question about Grant's Slaves

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12, 2007
      I do not have sources for this but remember from my readings the
      following:

      Dent owned the slaves as Grant refused to own slaves and would free
      them if title was transfered.

      Grant had advised his wife not to travel, in the North, with slaves.
      people doing so had problems and he did not want that to happen to her.

      Black Julia helped Mrs. Grant with the childern and chores. She
      dissapeared in 62 or 63, Grant refused to allow inquires. Most assume
      she ran off and Grant had no intention of going after her.

      I do not recall any slaves in his household after that. ISTM, he hired
      a girl when Black Julia dissapeared.

      James