Re: [civilwarwest] Building an Army; was: Peachtree Creek and the Battle of A...

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2007
      In a message dated 1/6/2007 3:02:55 PM Central Standard Time, amhistoryguy@... writes:
      The building of the army is an interesting subject, IMO.  Especially when you keep in mind that the army was not just the enlistment of men, but clothing them, equipping them, feeding them, and transporting them.  IMO, a subject that could stand a bit of modern study.
      Agreed, Dave. You left out "training them." Even today you'll find people who seem to think you can have troops tomorrow if you want them bad enough. In a previous life I contracted with printers to produce this and that. You would initially get a delivery date conforming to their schedule. You could beg or coerce them into breaking into that schedule if you were a big enough customer (which I was), but --- there was always an element of physically impossible: no threat could make the ink dry faster.

      That being said, the Keystone Cops must have been a copy of the months after April 15th, 1861. It is amazing to me that there were men who could march and load a musket by Bull Run.
      Ken