Re: Battle of Raymond Walking Trail Completed, Interpretive Markers Installed

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007

      > I haven't dropped by since the markers have been added, but I did
      > notice on this website that one of the stops is titled "A Soldier's
      > Battle," a description with which I very much disagree.

      Why do you disagree?

      HankC
    • Tony Gunter
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I haven't dropped by since the markers have been added, but I did
        > > notice on this website that one of the stops is titled "A Soldier's
        > > Battle," a description with which I very much disagree.
        > >

        > Why do you disagree?

        This description is based on the Ed Bearss assertion that the battle
        lines broke down into individual companies scrambling around in the
        woods, and that each soldier's world collapsed into a 10 ft radius
        circle of visibility, inside of which each soldier waged his own
        battle.

        There were some gaps in command and control during the battle, most
        notably:

        1) The Confederate left wing and right wing were out of supporting
        distance of each other for two hours and consequently were each
        defeated in detail.

        2) Col. Manning Force of the 20th Ohio panicked, and ordered his men to
        charge into the creek bed from which they could neither advance nor
        retreat. This left him exposed 100 yards in front of the Union battle
        line, and required great sacrifice on the part of the 20th Ill. to
        reconnect the battle line.

        3) Gen. John Stevenson, commanding the reserve, over-pursued the
        Confederate left wing with his two remaining regiments. This exposed
        the 7th MO to a route by the 10/30th TN as they attempted to reorganize
        after emerging from the woods.

        Interestingly enough, Bearss likes to use Raymond as a case study in
        the dangers of a Corps commander being overly hesitant, when really all
        of the serious gaffes in the battle resulted when regimental and
        brigade commanders became overly aggressive.
      • jay1997us
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2007

          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I haven't dropped by since the markers have been added, but I
          did
          > > > notice on this website that one of the stops is titled "A
          Soldier's
          > > > Battle," a description with which I very much disagree.
          > > >

          > > Why do you disagree?
          >
          > This description is based on the Ed Bearss assertion that the
          battle
          > lines broke down into individual companies scrambling around in the
          > woods, and that each soldier's world collapsed into a 10 ft radius
          > circle of visibility, inside of which each soldier waged his own
          > battle.
          >
          > There were some gaps in command and control during the battle, most
          > notably:
          >
          > 1) The Confederate left wing and right wing were out of supporting
          > distance of each other for two hours and consequently were each
          > defeated in detail.
          >
          > 2) Col. Manning Force of the 20th Ohio panicked, and ordered his
          men to
          > charge into the creek bed from which they could neither advance nor
          > retreat. This left him exposed 100 yards in front of the Union
          battle
          > line, and required great sacrifice on the part of the 20th Ill. to
          > reconnect the battle line.
          >
          > 3) Gen. John Stevenson, commanding the reserve, over-pursued the
          > Confederate left wing with his two remaining regiments. This
          exposed
          > the 7th MO to a route by the 10/30th TN as they attempted to
          reorganize
          > after emerging from the woods.
          >
          > Interestingly enough, Bearss likes to use Raymond as a case study
          in
          > the dangers of a Corps commander being overly hesitant, when really
          all
          > of the serious gaffes in the battle resulted when regimental and
          > brigade commanders became overly aggressive.

          Tony

          You make excellent points. I've studied the Vicksburg campaign for
          years, and have read and re-read Bearss many times. I wonder if his
          point about McPherson being overly hesitant means that McPherson
          didn't exercise much control over his corps during the fight. It
          does seem that the lower-level commanders exercised the initiative
          without much guidance from above. Just a thought. Bearss' trilogy
          is impressive and loaded with detail, but like most books it's not
          infallible. Plus, they were written more than 20 years ago. The
          scholarship on Raymond has evolved since then, I think. Anyway, good
          points!