Battle of Raymond Walking Trail Completed, Interpretive Markers Installed

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
      Not sure how many of you will be travelling through Mississippi anytime
      soon, but the newly founded Raymond Battlefield Park has completed a
      walking trail complete with accurately placed cannons and interpretive
      markers.

      http://friendsofraymond.org

      I haven't dropped by since the markers have been added, but I did
      notice on this website that one of the stops is titled "A Soldier's
      Battle," a description with which I very much disagree.
    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007

        > I haven't dropped by since the markers have been added, but I did
        > notice on this website that one of the stops is titled "A Soldier's
        > Battle," a description with which I very much disagree.

        Why do you disagree?

        HankC
      • Tony Gunter
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I haven't dropped by since the markers have been added, but I did
          > > notice on this website that one of the stops is titled "A Soldier's
          > > Battle," a description with which I very much disagree.
          > >

          > Why do you disagree?

          This description is based on the Ed Bearss assertion that the battle
          lines broke down into individual companies scrambling around in the
          woods, and that each soldier's world collapsed into a 10 ft radius
          circle of visibility, inside of which each soldier waged his own
          battle.

          There were some gaps in command and control during the battle, most
          notably:

          1) The Confederate left wing and right wing were out of supporting
          distance of each other for two hours and consequently were each
          defeated in detail.

          2) Col. Manning Force of the 20th Ohio panicked, and ordered his men to
          charge into the creek bed from which they could neither advance nor
          retreat. This left him exposed 100 yards in front of the Union battle
          line, and required great sacrifice on the part of the 20th Ill. to
          reconnect the battle line.

          3) Gen. John Stevenson, commanding the reserve, over-pursued the
          Confederate left wing with his two remaining regiments. This exposed
          the 7th MO to a route by the 10/30th TN as they attempted to reorganize
          after emerging from the woods.

          Interestingly enough, Bearss likes to use Raymond as a case study in
          the dangers of a Corps commander being overly hesitant, when really all
          of the serious gaffes in the battle resulted when regimental and
          brigade commanders became overly aggressive.
        • jay1997us
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2007

            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I haven't dropped by since the markers have been added, but I
            did
            > > > notice on this website that one of the stops is titled "A
            Soldier's
            > > > Battle," a description with which I very much disagree.
            > > >

            > > Why do you disagree?
            >
            > This description is based on the Ed Bearss assertion that the
            battle
            > lines broke down into individual companies scrambling around in the
            > woods, and that each soldier's world collapsed into a 10 ft radius
            > circle of visibility, inside of which each soldier waged his own
            > battle.
            >
            > There were some gaps in command and control during the battle, most
            > notably:
            >
            > 1) The Confederate left wing and right wing were out of supporting
            > distance of each other for two hours and consequently were each
            > defeated in detail.
            >
            > 2) Col. Manning Force of the 20th Ohio panicked, and ordered his
            men to
            > charge into the creek bed from which they could neither advance nor
            > retreat. This left him exposed 100 yards in front of the Union
            battle
            > line, and required great sacrifice on the part of the 20th Ill. to
            > reconnect the battle line.
            >
            > 3) Gen. John Stevenson, commanding the reserve, over-pursued the
            > Confederate left wing with his two remaining regiments. This
            exposed
            > the 7th MO to a route by the 10/30th TN as they attempted to
            reorganize
            > after emerging from the woods.
            >
            > Interestingly enough, Bearss likes to use Raymond as a case study
            in
            > the dangers of a Corps commander being overly hesitant, when really
            all
            > of the serious gaffes in the battle resulted when regimental and
            > brigade commanders became overly aggressive.

            Tony

            You make excellent points. I've studied the Vicksburg campaign for
            years, and have read and re-read Bearss many times. I wonder if his
            point about McPherson being overly hesitant means that McPherson
            didn't exercise much control over his corps during the fight. It
            does seem that the lower-level commanders exercised the initiative
            without much guidance from above. Just a thought. Bearss' trilogy
            is impressive and loaded with detail, but like most books it's not
            infallible. Plus, they were written more than 20 years ago. The
            scholarship on Raymond has evolved since then, I think. Anyway, good
            points!