Re: Peachtree Creek and The Battle of Atlanta

  • Eric Jacobson
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2007
      Stewart graduated 12th out of, I believe, 56. Honestly, no matter
      matter what you may think of Hood (and with all deference to Sam
      Elliott) I don't see how in any way Stewart's experience (brigade,
      division, and corps) in any way supercedes Hood's. Look at Hood's
      track record with Lee and one can make an argument that he may have
      been among the best division commanders the Army of Northern Virginia
      ever had. That is no knock on Stewart, but one has to honestly say
      they were very equal soldiers heading into the spring of 1864. Hood,
      of course, by that stage has serious physical limitations.

      The whole West Point thing, in my opinion, is often way overblown in
      regards to a number of Civil War generals. Consider Hood and the
      issue of demerits. Forever I heard different people state Hood, who
      had 196 demerits in his senior year, was nearly expelled which is
      true. But those same people conveniently neglect to mention that
      John Schofield, his opponent at Franklin, had the EXACT same number
      of demerits. So what does the number prove? Maybe nothing other
      than one liked to drink and smoke and play cards and the other had
      long hair, was tardy, and talked back. No doubt Stewart was an
      intellectual, but that does not in any way indicate that Hood was a
      dolt.

      Also, you may want to study Cassville a bit deeper. Johnston's
      accustaions against Hood are slanted and there is ample evidence that
      Hood was justified in his actions. It is incredible how Hood is
      regularly pinned as the guy who did nothing but attack when he
      doesn't think an attack is wise (Cassville and Gettysburg) he gets
      flack for that, too. No doubt, however, that his decision making at
      Kolb's Farm was not at all good. Hood blundered plain and simple
      there.

      Eric

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "gnrljejohnston"
      <GnrlJEJohnston@...> wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Eric:
      > >
      > > Please let me eat my words as I find I answered your earlier
      comment
      > concerning Hood's command expericience as the situation existed (in
      > September, 1863. I forgot he commanded a corps in summer 1864.
      After
      > this revision, I now rank Hood and Stewart as about equal.
      >
      > And I would rank Stewart above Hood. Not just basing this on corps
      > experience, but overall experience. One has to remember also, that
      > Hood would have flunked out West Point if it hadn't been that his
      room
      > mate tutored him in a couple of subjects including mathematics.
      That
      > room mate was Jamie McPherson. He was not that high in his
      graduating
      > class whereas (correct me on this Sam) Stewart was close to the top
      or
      > at least in the top ten percent of his class. He was a highly
      > intellectual individual. Stewart was always highly respected by
      his
      > troops despite the nickname of Old Straight that they gave him.
      Hood