Re: Peachtree Creek and The Battle of Atlanta

  • gnrljejohnston
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>
      wrote:

      > Eric:
      >
      > Please let me eat my words as I find I answered your earlier comment
      concerning Hood's command expericience as the situation existed (in
      September, 1863. I forgot he commanded a corps in summer 1864. After
      this revision, I now rank Hood and Stewart as about equal.

      And I would rank Stewart above Hood. Not just basing this on corps
      experience, but overall experience. One has to remember also, that
      Hood would have flunked out West Point if it hadn't been that his room
      mate tutored him in a couple of subjects including mathematics. That
      room mate was Jamie McPherson. He was not that high in his graduating
      class whereas (correct me on this Sam) Stewart was close to the top or
      at least in the top ten percent of his class. He was a highly
      intellectual individual. Stewart was always highly respected by his
      troops despite the nickname of Old Straight that they gave him. Hood
      was respected by his Texas Brigade for his heroism, but that is
      basically all. He lamblasted Johnston for not attacking, but yet, he
      let one regiment of mounted infantry scare him into not attacking.
      Then also, his attacking without intel or without Johnston's approval
      at Kolb's farm is totally inexcusable. In addendum, as a career
      military officer, he knew quite well that to maintain order, the chain
      of command must never be broken. He violated that without any remorse.

      JEJ

    • Eric Jacobson
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 4, 2007
        Stewart graduated 12th out of, I believe, 56. Honestly, no matter
        matter what you may think of Hood (and with all deference to Sam
        Elliott) I don't see how in any way Stewart's experience (brigade,
        division, and corps) in any way supercedes Hood's. Look at Hood's
        track record with Lee and one can make an argument that he may have
        been among the best division commanders the Army of Northern Virginia
        ever had. That is no knock on Stewart, but one has to honestly say
        they were very equal soldiers heading into the spring of 1864. Hood,
        of course, by that stage has serious physical limitations.

        The whole West Point thing, in my opinion, is often way overblown in
        regards to a number of Civil War generals. Consider Hood and the
        issue of demerits. Forever I heard different people state Hood, who
        had 196 demerits in his senior year, was nearly expelled which is
        true. But those same people conveniently neglect to mention that
        John Schofield, his opponent at Franklin, had the EXACT same number
        of demerits. So what does the number prove? Maybe nothing other
        than one liked to drink and smoke and play cards and the other had
        long hair, was tardy, and talked back. No doubt Stewart was an
        intellectual, but that does not in any way indicate that Hood was a
        dolt.

        Also, you may want to study Cassville a bit deeper. Johnston's
        accustaions against Hood are slanted and there is ample evidence that
        Hood was justified in his actions. It is incredible how Hood is
        regularly pinned as the guy who did nothing but attack when he
        doesn't think an attack is wise (Cassville and Gettysburg) he gets
        flack for that, too. No doubt, however, that his decision making at
        Kolb's Farm was not at all good. Hood blundered plain and simple
        there.

        Eric

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "gnrljejohnston"