RE: [civilwarwest] Buzzard's Roost as the "Terrible Door of Death"

  • jimali@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
      HAHAHA! @ HARRY...ALICE CALIF.

      You mean you're NOT the dashing Chattanooga barrister and author of
      "Soldier of Tennessee"?
      POSER!!!!!!
      Harry

      ALICE >*;*<...."Life might not be the party we hoped for, but
      while we're here we might as well dance"
    • tristan4th
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
        Hi Sam...
        I'm not sure if this helps, but I came acroos it in searches;

        From Red Clay, from Ringgold, from Lee and Gordon's Mills, the
        blue columns funneled south, down the winding green valleys that led
        to Dalton, where Sherman's spies estimated Johnston had an army of
        45,000 to 60,000 men dug in on Rocky Face Ridge, an abrupt, 800-foot
        elevation straddling the Western & Atlantic Railroad. A deep gorge,
        Mill Creek Gap, carried the railroad and the main wagon road through
        the ridge at a heavily fortified notch known as Buzzard's Roost, but
        Sherman had no intention of attacking this "terrible door of death."
        Evans, David. Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the
        Atlanta Campaign. Indiana Univ. Pr. 1996

        Respectively Your Humble Servant,
        Capt. McCracken......

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@... wrote:

        > Does anyone know the primary source attribution for this comment by
        Sherman?

      • SDE80@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
          In a message dated 1/4/2007 8:40:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, tristan4th@... writes:

          Hi Sam...
          I'm not sure if this helps, but I came acroos it in searches;

          From Red Clay, from Ringgold, from Lee and Gordon's Mills, the
          blue columns funneled south, down the winding green valleys that led
          to Dalton, where Sherman's spies estimated Johnston had an army of
          45,000 to 60,000 men dug in on Rocky Face Ridge, an abrupt, 800-foot
          elevation straddling the Western & Atlantic Railroad. A deep gorge,
          Mill Creek Gap, carried the railroad and the main wagon road through
          the ridge at a heavily fortified notch known as Buzzard's Roost, but
          Sherman had no intention of attacking this "terrible door of death."
          Evans, David. Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the
          Atlanta Campaign. Indiana Univ. Pr. 1996

          Respectively Your Humble Servant,
          Capt. McCracken... ...

          --- In
          civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, SDE80@... wrote:

          > Does anyone know the primary source attribution for this comment by
          Sherman?

          > Sam Elliott

          Thanks, Capt.  I do have David's book, but with the help of others on the board, I found the primary source.

          Sam
        • gnrljejohnston
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

            > You mean you're NOT the dashing Chattanooga barrister and author
            of "Soldier
            > of Tennessee"?
            >
            > POSER!!!!!!
            >
            > Harry

            Harry, you forgot his "Second Bishop of Tennessee: Bishop Quintard"

            JEJ
          • Art Bagley
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 31, 2007
              You western theater folks can probably help me in understanding
              Sherman's approach to Atlanta better than any other group of folks.
              Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
              Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
              playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?

              Also, I've been to the Dug Gap site and can understand the
              difficulties attacking troops would encounter. By any chance has Dug
              Gap been cleaned up in the last 4 years? Any added interpretive
              markers, plaques, etc.? I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
              downtown Dalton, too.

              ArtorBart33624
              Tampa, FL
            • keeno2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 31, 2007
                In a message dated 1/31/2007 8:17:31 PM Central Standard Time, abagley@... writes:
                Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain?
                My guess is that he was impatient to get to Atlanta, made a dumb mistake, and then returned to his proven technique.
                Ken
              • LWhite64@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Well one thing to remember is that he didnt launch a full out attack on Big Kennesaw, it was mainly against Cheatham Hill, which although tough is nothing like the heighths at Buzzard Roost.

                  Lee
                • gnrljejohnston
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bagley" <abagley@...> wrote:

                    I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
                    > downtown Dalton, too.
                    >
                    > ArtorBart33624
                    > Tampa, FL

                    From what I understand, it is the only statue of JEJ

                    JEJ
                    Sun City Center, FL
                  • gnrljejohnston
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bagley" <abagley@...> wrote:

                      > You western theater folks can probably help me in understanding
                      > Sherman's approach to Atlanta better than any other group of folks.
                      > Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                      > Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
                      > playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?
                      >
                      > Also, I've been to the Dug Gap site and can understand the
                      > difficulties attacking troops would encounter. By any chance has
                      Dug
                      > Gap been cleaned up in the last 4 years? Any added interpretive
                      > markers, plaques, etc.? I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
                      > downtown Dalton, too.
                      >
                      > ArtorBart33624
                      > Tampa, FL

                      Art,
                      This site might help give you more info on Kennesaw
                      http://ngeorgia.com/history/kennesaw.html also this site
                      http://ngeorgia.com/history/kolbsfarm.html

                      JEJ
                    • Dave Gorski
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                        >Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                        >Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
                        >playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?

                        My understanding is that Sherman was concerned about his supply and
                        communication line, both connected to the RR line. As the Union force
                        drew closer to Atlanta, guerrilla activity against them increase. Continued
                        flanking movements to the right would have taken Schofield more than a
                        mile further south, and in Shermans view, would have been met with a
                        Confederate countermove that would take them even further from the
                        lines of supply and communications. Sherman also felt that a flanking
                        move was expected, and that by attacking, he had the element of
                        surprise.
                        The Confederate line was stretched somewhat thin in his mind, over 8
                        miles, and Sherman thought he could break the line. Demonstrations were
                        made on both ends of the Confederate line, but no move was made by the
                        Confederates to shift troops and weaken the line, as Sherman had hoped.

                        Regards, Dave Gorski