RE: [civilwarwest] Buzzard's Roost as the "Terrible Door of Death"

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007

      You mean you’re NOT the dashing Chattanooga barrister and author of “Soldier of Tennessee”?

      POSER!!!!!!

      Harry

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
        well I suspected that, espicially when Tom Mix is also onlist :)...alice
        in Calif

        ```````````````````````
        Same name, different guy.
        Sam Elliott
      • jimali@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
          HAHAHA! @ HARRY...ALICE CALIF.

          You mean you're NOT the dashing Chattanooga barrister and author of
          "Soldier of Tennessee"?
          POSER!!!!!!
          Harry

          ALICE >*;*<...."Life might not be the party we hoped for, but
          while we're here we might as well dance"
        • tristan4th
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
            Hi Sam...
            I'm not sure if this helps, but I came acroos it in searches;

            From Red Clay, from Ringgold, from Lee and Gordon's Mills, the
            blue columns funneled south, down the winding green valleys that led
            to Dalton, where Sherman's spies estimated Johnston had an army of
            45,000 to 60,000 men dug in on Rocky Face Ridge, an abrupt, 800-foot
            elevation straddling the Western & Atlantic Railroad. A deep gorge,
            Mill Creek Gap, carried the railroad and the main wagon road through
            the ridge at a heavily fortified notch known as Buzzard's Roost, but
            Sherman had no intention of attacking this "terrible door of death."
            Evans, David. Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the
            Atlanta Campaign. Indiana Univ. Pr. 1996

            Respectively Your Humble Servant,
            Capt. McCracken......

          • SDE80@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
              In a message dated 1/4/2007 8:40:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, tristan4th@... writes:

              Hi Sam...
              I'm not sure if this helps, but I came acroos it in searches;

              From Red Clay, from Ringgold, from Lee and Gordon's Mills, the
              blue columns funneled south, down the winding green valleys that led
              to Dalton, where Sherman's spies estimated Johnston had an army of
              45,000 to 60,000 men dug in on Rocky Face Ridge, an abrupt, 800-foot
              elevation straddling the Western & Atlantic Railroad. A deep gorge,
              Mill Creek Gap, carried the railroad and the main wagon road through
              the ridge at a heavily fortified notch known as Buzzard's Roost, but
              Sherman had no intention of attacking this "terrible door of death."
              Evans, David. Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the
              Atlanta Campaign. Indiana Univ. Pr. 1996

              Respectively Your Humble Servant,
              Capt. McCracken... ...

              --- In
              civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, SDE80@... wrote:

              > Does anyone know the primary source attribution for this comment by
              Sherman?

              > Sam Elliott

              Thanks, Capt.  I do have David's book, but with the help of others on the board, I found the primary source.

              Sam
            • gnrljejohnston
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

                > You mean you're NOT the dashing Chattanooga barrister and author
                of "Soldier
                > of Tennessee"?
                >
                > POSER!!!!!!
                >
                > Harry

                Harry, you forgot his "Second Bishop of Tennessee: Bishop Quintard"

                JEJ
              • Art Bagley
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 31, 2007
                  You western theater folks can probably help me in understanding
                  Sherman's approach to Atlanta better than any other group of folks.
                  Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                  Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
                  playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?

                  Also, I've been to the Dug Gap site and can understand the
                  difficulties attacking troops would encounter. By any chance has Dug
                  Gap been cleaned up in the last 4 years? Any added interpretive
                  markers, plaques, etc.? I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
                  downtown Dalton, too.

                  ArtorBart33624
                  Tampa, FL
                • keeno2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 31, 2007
                    In a message dated 1/31/2007 8:17:31 PM Central Standard Time, abagley@... writes:
                    Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                    Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain?
                    My guess is that he was impatient to get to Atlanta, made a dumb mistake, and then returned to his proven technique.
                    Ken
                  • LWhite64@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                      Well one thing to remember is that he didnt launch a full out attack on Big Kennesaw, it was mainly against Cheatham Hill, which although tough is nothing like the heighths at Buzzard Roost.

                      Lee
                    • gnrljejohnston
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bagley" <abagley@...> wrote:

                        I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
                        > downtown Dalton, too.
                        >
                        > ArtorBart33624
                        > Tampa, FL

                        From what I understand, it is the only statue of JEJ

                        JEJ
                        Sun City Center, FL
                      • gnrljejohnston
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bagley" <abagley@...> wrote:

                          > You western theater folks can probably help me in understanding
                          > Sherman's approach to Atlanta better than any other group of folks.
                          > Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                          > Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
                          > playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?
                          >
                          > Also, I've been to the Dug Gap site and can understand the
                          > difficulties attacking troops would encounter. By any chance has
                          Dug
                          > Gap been cleaned up in the last 4 years? Any added interpretive
                          > markers, plaques, etc.? I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
                          > downtown Dalton, too.
                          >
                          > ArtorBart33624
                          > Tampa, FL

                          Art,
                          This site might help give you more info on Kennesaw
                          http://ngeorgia.com/history/kennesaw.html also this site
                          http://ngeorgia.com/history/kolbsfarm.html

                          JEJ
                        • Dave Gorski
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                            >Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                            >Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
                            >playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?

                            My understanding is that Sherman was concerned about his supply and
                            communication line, both connected to the RR line. As the Union force
                            drew closer to Atlanta, guerrilla activity against them increase. Continued
                            flanking movements to the right would have taken Schofield more than a
                            mile further south, and in Shermans view, would have been met with a
                            Confederate countermove that would take them even further from the
                            lines of supply and communications. Sherman also felt that a flanking
                            move was expected, and that by attacking, he had the element of
                            surprise.
                            The Confederate line was stretched somewhat thin in his mind, over 8
                            miles, and Sherman thought he could break the line. Demonstrations were
                            made on both ends of the Confederate line, but no move was made by the
                            Confederates to shift troops and weaken the line, as Sherman had hoped.

                            Regards, Dave Gorski