Re: [civilwarwest] Buzzard's Roost as the "Terrible Door of Death"

  • SDE80@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
      In a message dated 1/4/2007 12:12:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, jimali@... writes:

      OMG another famous person on the list :) alice in Calif

      Does anyone know the primary source attribution for this comment by
      Sherman?

      Sam Elliott

      Same name, different guy.

      Sam Elliott
    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007

        You mean you’re NOT the dashing Chattanooga barrister and author of “Soldier of Tennessee”?

        POSER!!!!!!

        Harry

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
          well I suspected that, espicially when Tom Mix is also onlist :)...alice
          in Calif

          ```````````````````````
          Same name, different guy.
          Sam Elliott
        • jimali@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
            HAHAHA! @ HARRY...ALICE CALIF.

            You mean you're NOT the dashing Chattanooga barrister and author of
            "Soldier of Tennessee"?
            POSER!!!!!!
            Harry

            ALICE >*;*<...."Life might not be the party we hoped for, but
            while we're here we might as well dance"
          • tristan4th
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
              Hi Sam...
              I'm not sure if this helps, but I came acroos it in searches;

              From Red Clay, from Ringgold, from Lee and Gordon's Mills, the
              blue columns funneled south, down the winding green valleys that led
              to Dalton, where Sherman's spies estimated Johnston had an army of
              45,000 to 60,000 men dug in on Rocky Face Ridge, an abrupt, 800-foot
              elevation straddling the Western & Atlantic Railroad. A deep gorge,
              Mill Creek Gap, carried the railroad and the main wagon road through
              the ridge at a heavily fortified notch known as Buzzard's Roost, but
              Sherman had no intention of attacking this "terrible door of death."
              Evans, David. Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the
              Atlanta Campaign. Indiana Univ. Pr. 1996

              Respectively Your Humble Servant,
              Capt. McCracken......

            • SDE80@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
                In a message dated 1/4/2007 8:40:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, tristan4th@... writes:

                Hi Sam...
                I'm not sure if this helps, but I came acroos it in searches;

                From Red Clay, from Ringgold, from Lee and Gordon's Mills, the
                blue columns funneled south, down the winding green valleys that led
                to Dalton, where Sherman's spies estimated Johnston had an army of
                45,000 to 60,000 men dug in on Rocky Face Ridge, an abrupt, 800-foot
                elevation straddling the Western & Atlantic Railroad. A deep gorge,
                Mill Creek Gap, carried the railroad and the main wagon road through
                the ridge at a heavily fortified notch known as Buzzard's Roost, but
                Sherman had no intention of attacking this "terrible door of death."
                Evans, David. Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the
                Atlanta Campaign. Indiana Univ. Pr. 1996

                Respectively Your Humble Servant,
                Capt. McCracken... ...

                --- In
                civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, SDE80@... wrote:

                > Does anyone know the primary source attribution for this comment by
                Sherman?

                > Sam Elliott

                Thanks, Capt.  I do have David's book, but with the help of others on the board, I found the primary source.

                Sam
              • gnrljejohnston
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

                  > You mean you're NOT the dashing Chattanooga barrister and author
                  of "Soldier
                  > of Tennessee"?
                  >
                  > POSER!!!!!!
                  >
                  > Harry

                  Harry, you forgot his "Second Bishop of Tennessee: Bishop Quintard"

                  JEJ
                • Art Bagley
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 31, 2007
                    You western theater folks can probably help me in understanding
                    Sherman's approach to Atlanta better than any other group of folks.
                    Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                    Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
                    playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?

                    Also, I've been to the Dug Gap site and can understand the
                    difficulties attacking troops would encounter. By any chance has Dug
                    Gap been cleaned up in the last 4 years? Any added interpretive
                    markers, plaques, etc.? I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
                    downtown Dalton, too.

                    ArtorBart33624
                    Tampa, FL
                  • keeno2@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 31, 2007
                      In a message dated 1/31/2007 8:17:31 PM Central Standard Time, abagley@... writes:
                      Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                      Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain?
                      My guess is that he was impatient to get to Atlanta, made a dumb mistake, and then returned to his proven technique.
                      Ken
                    • LWhite64@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                        Well one thing to remember is that he didnt launch a full out attack on Big Kennesaw, it was mainly against Cheatham Hill, which although tough is nothing like the heighths at Buzzard Roost.

                        Lee
                      • gnrljejohnston
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bagley" <abagley@...> wrote:

                          I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
                          > downtown Dalton, too.
                          >
                          > ArtorBart33624
                          > Tampa, FL

                          From what I understand, it is the only statue of JEJ

                          JEJ
                          Sun City Center, FL
                        • gnrljejohnston
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bagley" <abagley@...> wrote:

                            > You western theater folks can probably help me in understanding
                            > Sherman's approach to Atlanta better than any other group of folks.
                            > Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                            > Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
                            > playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?
                            >
                            > Also, I've been to the Dug Gap site and can understand the
                            > difficulties attacking troops would encounter. By any chance has
                            Dug
                            > Gap been cleaned up in the last 4 years? Any added interpretive
                            > markers, plaques, etc.? I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
                            > downtown Dalton, too.
                            >
                            > ArtorBart33624
                            > Tampa, FL

                            Art,
                            This site might help give you more info on Kennesaw
                            http://ngeorgia.com/history/kennesaw.html also this site
                            http://ngeorgia.com/history/kolbsfarm.html

                            JEJ
                          • Dave Gorski
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                              >Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                              >Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
                              >playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?

                              My understanding is that Sherman was concerned about his supply and
                              communication line, both connected to the RR line. As the Union force
                              drew closer to Atlanta, guerrilla activity against them increase. Continued
                              flanking movements to the right would have taken Schofield more than a
                              mile further south, and in Shermans view, would have been met with a
                              Confederate countermove that would take them even further from the
                              lines of supply and communications. Sherman also felt that a flanking
                              move was expected, and that by attacking, he had the element of
                              surprise.
                              The Confederate line was stretched somewhat thin in his mind, over 8
                              miles, and Sherman thought he could break the line. Demonstrations were
                              made on both ends of the Confederate line, but no move was made by the
                              Confederates to shift troops and weaken the line, as Sherman had hoped.

                              Regards, Dave Gorski