Buzzard's Roost as the "Terrible Door of Death"

  • SDE80@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
      Does anyone know the primary source attribution for this comment by Sherman?

      Sam Elliott
    • jimali@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
        OMG another famous person on the list :) alice in Calif

        Does anyone know the primary source attribution for this comment by
        Sherman?

        Sam Elliott

        `````````````````````````````````````````````````

        ALICE >*;*<...."Life might not be the party we hoped for, but
        while we're here we might as well dance"
      • SDE80@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
          In a message dated 1/4/2007 12:12:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, jimali@... writes:

          OMG another famous person on the list :) alice in Calif

          Does anyone know the primary source attribution for this comment by
          Sherman?

          Sam Elliott

          Same name, different guy.

          Sam Elliott
        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007

            You mean you’re NOT the dashing Chattanooga barrister and author of “Soldier of Tennessee”?

            POSER!!!!!!

            Harry

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
              well I suspected that, espicially when Tom Mix is also onlist :)...alice
              in Calif

              ```````````````````````
              Same name, different guy.
              Sam Elliott
            • jimali@webtv.net

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
                  Hi Sam...
                  I'm not sure if this helps, but I came acroos it in searches;

                  From Red Clay, from Ringgold, from Lee and Gordon's Mills, the
                  blue columns funneled south, down the winding green valleys that led
                  to Dalton, where Sherman's spies estimated Johnston had an army of
                  45,000 to 60,000 men dug in on Rocky Face Ridge, an abrupt, 800-foot
                  elevation straddling the Western & Atlantic Railroad. A deep gorge,
                  Mill Creek Gap, carried the railroad and the main wagon road through
                  the ridge at a heavily fortified notch known as Buzzard's Roost, but
                  Sherman had no intention of attacking this "terrible door of death."
                  Evans, David. Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the
                  Atlanta Campaign. Indiana Univ. Pr. 1996

                  Respectively Your Humble Servant,
                  Capt. McCracken......

                • SDE80@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
                    In a message dated 1/4/2007 8:40:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, tristan4th@... writes:

                    Hi Sam...
                    I'm not sure if this helps, but I came acroos it in searches;

                    From Red Clay, from Ringgold, from Lee and Gordon's Mills, the
                    blue columns funneled south, down the winding green valleys that led
                    to Dalton, where Sherman's spies estimated Johnston had an army of
                    45,000 to 60,000 men dug in on Rocky Face Ridge, an abrupt, 800-foot
                    elevation straddling the Western & Atlantic Railroad. A deep gorge,
                    Mill Creek Gap, carried the railroad and the main wagon road through
                    the ridge at a heavily fortified notch known as Buzzard's Roost, but
                    Sherman had no intention of attacking this "terrible door of death."
                    Evans, David. Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the
                    Atlanta Campaign. Indiana Univ. Pr. 1996

                    Respectively Your Humble Servant,
                    Capt. McCracken... ...

                    --- In
                    civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, SDE80@... wrote:

                    > Does anyone know the primary source attribution for this comment by
                    Sherman?

                    > Sam Elliott

                    Thanks, Capt.  I do have David's book, but with the help of others on the board, I found the primary source.

                    Sam
                  • gnrljejohnston
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

                      > You mean you're NOT the dashing Chattanooga barrister and author
                      of "Soldier
                      > of Tennessee"?
                      >
                      > POSER!!!!!!
                      >
                      > Harry

                      Harry, you forgot his "Second Bishop of Tennessee: Bishop Quintard"

                      JEJ
                    • Art Bagley
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 31, 2007
                        You western theater folks can probably help me in understanding
                        Sherman's approach to Atlanta better than any other group of folks.
                        Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                        Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
                        playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?

                        Also, I've been to the Dug Gap site and can understand the
                        difficulties attacking troops would encounter. By any chance has Dug
                        Gap been cleaned up in the last 4 years? Any added interpretive
                        markers, plaques, etc.? I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
                        downtown Dalton, too.

                        ArtorBart33624
                        Tampa, FL
                      • keeno2@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 31, 2007
                          In a message dated 1/31/2007 8:17:31 PM Central Standard Time, abagley@... writes:
                          Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                          Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain?
                          My guess is that he was impatient to get to Atlanta, made a dumb mistake, and then returned to his proven technique.
                          Ken
                        • LWhite64@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                            Well one thing to remember is that he didnt launch a full out attack on Big Kennesaw, it was mainly against Cheatham Hill, which although tough is nothing like the heighths at Buzzard Roost.

                            Lee
                          • gnrljejohnston
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bagley" <abagley@...> wrote:

                              I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
                              > downtown Dalton, too.
                              >
                              > ArtorBart33624
                              > Tampa, FL

                              From what I understand, it is the only statue of JEJ

                              JEJ
                              Sun City Center, FL
                            • gnrljejohnston
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bagley" <abagley@...> wrote:

                                > You western theater folks can probably help me in understanding
                                > Sherman's approach to Atlanta better than any other group of folks.
                                > Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                                > Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
                                > playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?
                                >
                                > Also, I've been to the Dug Gap site and can understand the
                                > difficulties attacking troops would encounter. By any chance has
                                Dug
                                > Gap been cleaned up in the last 4 years? Any added interpretive
                                > markers, plaques, etc.? I enjoyed seeing Joe Johnston's statue in
                                > downtown Dalton, too.
                                >
                                > ArtorBart33624
                                > Tampa, FL

                                Art,
                                This site might help give you more info on Kennesaw
                                http://ngeorgia.com/history/kennesaw.html also this site
                                http://ngeorgia.com/history/kolbsfarm.html

                                JEJ
                              • Dave Gorski
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
                                  >Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
                                  >Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
                                  >playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?

                                  My understanding is that Sherman was concerned about his supply and
                                  communication line, both connected to the RR line. As the Union force
                                  drew closer to Atlanta, guerrilla activity against them increase. Continued
                                  flanking movements to the right would have taken Schofield more than a
                                  mile further south, and in Shermans view, would have been met with a
                                  Confederate countermove that would take them even further from the
                                  lines of supply and communications. Sherman also felt that a flanking
                                  move was expected, and that by attacking, he had the element of
                                  surprise.
                                  The Confederate line was stretched somewhat thin in his mind, over 8
                                  miles, and Sherman thought he could break the line. Demonstrations were
                                  made on both ends of the Confederate line, but no move was made by the
                                  Confederates to shift troops and weaken the line, as Sherman had hoped.

                                  Regards, Dave Gorski