Re: [civilwarwest] Kansas City Hotel...

  • Steve Saultz
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
              Hi Dave..
                   Thankyou Sir so very much!
                        Capt.........

      Dave Gorski <amhistoryguy@...> wrote:
      > Can you name a few references for me so that I may look &
      >save for myself?? I really appreciate it.

      Captain,
      My research on this subject was done quite a few years ago,
      and before I had much space to store papers etc.. My originals
      with sources are not at hand - (in fact packed away
      somewhere) - but, I do have a few sources that back what I
      posted.

      The Missouri Historical Review, No. 89, April 1995, pages 290 to
      306, an article, "Catalyst of Terror; The Collapse of the Women's
      Prison in Kansas City," by Charles F. Harris, is far and away the
      best source of information on the subject I've come across, very
      detailed and extensive.

      There is a good account in Albert Castel & Thomas Goodrich's
      book "Bloody Bill Anderson," pages 26 and 27. An account
      can also be found in "Civil War on the Western Border," by Jay
      Monaghan, page 280. As mentioned in the original post, Duane
      Schutz has an extensive mention of the accident in "Quantrill's
      War," pages 140 to 143. William Elsey Connelley, in "Quantrill
      & the Border Wars," pages 299 to 304, relates the information
      he obtained on the subject after interviewing a number of folks
      with first hand knowledge of the accident.

      Some information can also obtained through period newspaper
      accounts. "The Kansas City Daily Journal of Commerce" for
      August 4, 1863, has an account, which you may be able to obtain
      through inter library loan. The Indiana State Library in Indianapolis
      has an extensive collection of newspapers on film, and IIRC, that is
      where I viewed articles on the accident.

      The is also information available IIRC, at the Missouri State Archives
      in Jefferson City, MO, and also at the Missouri State Historical Society
      in St. Louis, MO.

      Hope this has been of some help.

      Regards, Dave Gorski