Re: Great RR Journeys

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 1, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Wasn't the movement of Bragg's command from Florida to AS
      Johnston
      > one
      > > of the first movements?
      > >
      > > James
      > >

      > I took this from Stanley Horn's book.
      >
      > He transfered 10,000 men & equipment from Pensacola & Mobile to
      > Corinth. Nothinf is mentioned about the route but my
      understanding is

      Actually, I think this movement was a bit of dress rehearsal for
      Btagg's later, larger movement, in the opposite direction, back to
      Chattanooga. The route would most certainly have been up the
      Alabama and Fla. of Fla. from Pensacola to Pollard, then west on the
      newly completed Mobile and Great Northern. This is the tricky part,
      where a gap existed between the Tensas River and Mobile, that needed
      to be negotiated by boat or march to Mobile and the Mobile and Ohio
      RR and thence Northward, by a fairly through route, to Corinth.

      Bill Bruner

      > this is one of the first large rail movements of troops in the ACW.
      >
      > I did not find anything about this in Connelly.
      >
      > James

    • gnrljejohnston
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2006
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>
        wrote:

        This is the tricky part,
        > where a gap existed between the Tensas River and Mobile, that needed
        > to be negotiated by boat or march to Mobile and the Mobile and Ohio
        > RR and thence Northward, by a fairly through route, to Corinth.
        >
        > Bill Bruner

        Another possibility was to travel by boat from Mobile up pass Quitman,
        MS to Meridian, MS which was a RR terminal as well. From there the
        line goes to Atlanta. I forget the name of the river, but it was used
        by Confederates to transport supplies and wounded to the Texas Hospital
        in Quitman.

        JEJ
      • Bill Bruner
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2006
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "gnrljejohnston"
          <GnrlJEJohnston@...> wrote:

          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > This is the tricky part,
          > > where a gap existed between the Tensas River and Mobile, that
          needed
          > > to be negotiated by boat or march to Mobile and the Mobile and
          Ohio
          > > RR and thence Northward, by a fairly through route, to Corinth.
          > >
          > > Bill Bruner
          >
          > Another possibility was to travel by boat from Mobile up pass
          Quitman,
          > MS to Meridian, MS which was a RR terminal as well. From there
          the
          > line goes to Atlanta. I forget the name of the river, but it was
          used
          > by Confederates to transport supplies and wounded to the Texas
          Hospital
          > in Quitman.
          >
          > JEJ

          On closer examination of maps availabe it seems clear that the route
          would be from Pensacola on the Al. and Fla of Fla rr to Pollard then
          West to Tensas, by way of the Mobile and Great Northern rr. Tensas
          was the terminus of this rr at the Alabama river.

          They would board boats south down the Alabama River to Mobile bay (a
          very short distance) and then across the bay to Mobile (a total
          distance of about thirty miles from the terminus at Tensas). From
          Mobile it looks like a straight shot of 134 miles north to Meridian
          and on to Corinth.

          I think the river you were trying to recall was the Tombigbee.

          Bill Bruner
        • gnrljejohnston
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 2006
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>

            > I think the river you were trying to recall was the Tombigbee.
            >
            > Bill Bruner

            That's the problem of getting old Bill. You have those Senior
            Moments. :-) As many times I have been around and on that river, you
            would think that I at least would remember its name. Shame on me. That
            river was used by packet boats and one of the important routes to
            transport logistics from Mobile to Meridian, and from there to Atlanta
            and Corinth.

            JEJ

          • Bill Bruner
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2006
              <GnrlJEJohnston@...> wrote:

              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@>
              >
              > > I think the river you were trying to recall was the Tombigbee.
              > >
              > > Bill Bruner
              >
              > That's the problem of getting old Bill. You have those Senior
              > Moments. :-) As many times I have been around and on that river,
              you
              > would think that I at least would remember its name. Shame on me.
              That
              > river was used by packet boats and one of the important routes to
              > transport logistics from Mobile to Meridian, and from there to
              Atlanta
              > and Corinth.
              >
              > JEJ

              The more you know the more there is to forget.

              "The price of knowledge is eternal review"

              Bill Bruner

            • Ask Me
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 19, 2006
                I'm new to the group and am just begining to follow his topic:

                This post struck a chord with me. Here is a short list which might be
                of some use.

                Book: Mars Gets New Chariots - Lt Col Alan R Koenig Amazon.com -
                31.95.Info on Amazon suggests Col Koenig teaches at U Nebraska.

                Book: The Railroads of the Confederacy - Robert Block 50 year old
                book,

                Web: http://www-csa-railroads.com/index.html
                Web: http://geocites.com/Yosemite/Trails/9401/civilwar.html
                Web: http://www.shohla.com/trainwreck