Re: Great RR Journeys

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 30, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>
      wrote:

      > Wasn't the movement of Bragg's command from Florida to AS Johnston
      one
      > of the first movements?
      >
      > James

      I took this from Stanley Horn's book.

      He transfered 10,000 men & equipment from Pensacola & Mobile to
      Corinth. Nothinf is mentioned about the route but my understanding is
      this is one of the first large rail movements of troops in the ACW.

      I did not find anything about this in Connelly.

      James
    • Bill Bruner
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 1, 2006
        wrote:

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Wasn't the movement of Bragg's command from Florida to AS
        Johnston
        > one
        > > of the first movements?
        > >
        > > James
        > >

        > I took this from Stanley Horn's book.
        >
        > He transfered 10,000 men & equipment from Pensacola & Mobile to
        > Corinth. Nothinf is mentioned about the route but my
        understanding is

        Actually, I think this movement was a bit of dress rehearsal for
        Btagg's later, larger movement, in the opposite direction, back to
        Chattanooga. The route would most certainly have been up the
        Alabama and Fla. of Fla. from Pensacola to Pollard, then west on the
        newly completed Mobile and Great Northern. This is the tricky part,
        where a gap existed between the Tensas River and Mobile, that needed
        to be negotiated by boat or march to Mobile and the Mobile and Ohio
        RR and thence Northward, by a fairly through route, to Corinth.

        Bill Bruner

        > this is one of the first large rail movements of troops in the ACW.
        >
        > I did not find anything about this in Connelly.
        >
        > James

      • gnrljejohnston
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2006
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>
          wrote:

          This is the tricky part,
          > where a gap existed between the Tensas River and Mobile, that needed
          > to be negotiated by boat or march to Mobile and the Mobile and Ohio
          > RR and thence Northward, by a fairly through route, to Corinth.
          >
          > Bill Bruner

          Another possibility was to travel by boat from Mobile up pass Quitman,
          MS to Meridian, MS which was a RR terminal as well. From there the
          line goes to Atlanta. I forget the name of the river, but it was used
          by Confederates to transport supplies and wounded to the Texas Hospital
          in Quitman.

          JEJ
        • Bill Bruner
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 2006
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "gnrljejohnston"
            <GnrlJEJohnston@...> wrote:

            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > This is the tricky part,
            > > where a gap existed between the Tensas River and Mobile, that
            needed
            > > to be negotiated by boat or march to Mobile and the Mobile and
            Ohio
            > > RR and thence Northward, by a fairly through route, to Corinth.
            > >
            > > Bill Bruner
            >
            > Another possibility was to travel by boat from Mobile up pass
            Quitman,
            > MS to Meridian, MS which was a RR terminal as well. From there
            the
            > line goes to Atlanta. I forget the name of the river, but it was
            used
            > by Confederates to transport supplies and wounded to the Texas
            Hospital
            > in Quitman.
            >
            > JEJ

            On closer examination of maps availabe it seems clear that the route
            would be from Pensacola on the Al. and Fla of Fla rr to Pollard then
            West to Tensas, by way of the Mobile and Great Northern rr. Tensas
            was the terminus of this rr at the Alabama river.

            They would board boats south down the Alabama River to Mobile bay (a
            very short distance) and then across the bay to Mobile (a total
            distance of about thirty miles from the terminus at Tensas). From
            Mobile it looks like a straight shot of 134 miles north to Meridian
            and on to Corinth.

            I think the river you were trying to recall was the Tombigbee.

            Bill Bruner
          • gnrljejohnston
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2006
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>

              > I think the river you were trying to recall was the Tombigbee.
              >
              > Bill Bruner

              That's the problem of getting old Bill. You have those Senior
              Moments. :-) As many times I have been around and on that river, you
              would think that I at least would remember its name. Shame on me. That
              river was used by packet boats and one of the important routes to
              transport logistics from Mobile to Meridian, and from there to Atlanta
              and Corinth.

              JEJ

            • Bill Bruner
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 2, 2006
                <GnrlJEJohnston@...> wrote:

                > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@>
                >
                > > I think the river you were trying to recall was the Tombigbee.
                > >
                > > Bill Bruner
                >
                > That's the problem of getting old Bill. You have those Senior
                > Moments. :-) As many times I have been around and on that river,
                you
                > would think that I at least would remember its name. Shame on me.
                That
                > river was used by packet boats and one of the important routes to
                > transport logistics from Mobile to Meridian, and from there to
                Atlanta
                > and Corinth.
                >
                > JEJ

                The more you know the more there is to forget.

                "The price of knowledge is eternal review"

                Bill Bruner

              • Ask Me
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 19, 2006
                  I'm new to the group and am just begining to follow his topic:

                  This post struck a chord with me. Here is a short list which might be
                  of some use.

                  Book: Mars Gets New Chariots - Lt Col Alan R Koenig Amazon.com -
                  31.95.Info on Amazon suggests Col Koenig teaches at U Nebraska.

                  Book: The Railroads of the Confederacy - Robert Block 50 year old
                  book,

                  Web: http://www-csa-railroads.com/index.html
                  Web: http://geocites.com/Yosemite/Trails/9401/civilwar.html
                  Web: http://www.shohla.com/trainwreck