Re: [civilwarwest] Great RR Journeys

  • Mary Hawthorne
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 25, 2006
      Not so much for the greatness of the journey but for the importance of rail transportation...Andrew's Raid in 62.
      bluelady
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 25, 2006
        Dear Mr.Bruner:

        I have the honour to provide you with an account which was received by
        wire at these offices only yesterday. It was furnish'd by Messr.
        Scott Trostel, author of THE LINCOLN FUNERAL TRAIN. I have been given
        permission to share it with you and others on this discussion board
        and it reads as follows:

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        There has long been a great deal of confusion about just how many
        locomotives pulled the train over its 1,700 mile route. This is
        largely due to the style of local reporting at the time of the funeral
        train. At this point I know of 44 separate locomotives used over the
        route, this includes pilot train locomotives, funeral train
        locomotives and at least two terminal switch engines.

        I met with Mark Warther, grandson of Mooney Warther, famous carver of
        locomotives and the Lincoln funeral train, two weeks ago. He was quite
        surprised to learn of the actual number of locomotives used. His
        grandfather had made the assumption it was considerable less than the
        44 known.

        Locomotive 331 was a PRR locomotive that pulled the funeral train from
        Harrisburg to Philadelphia on April 22. At all times the "funeral
        train" consisted of no less than two distinct trains and on the B & O
        it was a pilot train pulled by B&O 239 with Wm. Galloway as engineer
        and James Brown as fireman. The actual funeral train was pulled by B&O
        238 with Thomas Beckitt engineer and C. A. Miller fireman.

        Newspapers in April 1865, were so anxious to report progress of the
        train that they would pick-up the telegraph news reports from some
        distant town, where a locomotive name and/or number was reported and
        somehow it worked itself into a news story that latter proved to be in
        error.

        The Associated Press reporters - there were two on the train, got into
        a bit of trouble by trying to guess how things would go in coming
        hours as the train switched from day time to night time running, which
        happened west of Albany, New York. They wanted a bit of sack time
        apparently, and so made out reports based on prior events and finally
        got caught at Syracuse, New York by the newspaper editor there, who
        promptly took them to task in his publication. In my 37 years of
        research on the topic, it caused me to have to retrace all of my prior
        research to validate many newspaper accounts. In that AP reporting,
        certain few locomotives are often reported hundreds of miles from
        their home rails, which was a gross error because in those days a
        typical locomotive was good for about 75 miles of running until it
        needed servicing. The railroads were prepared for any kind of
        maintenance, loading mechanics and parts into a baggage car on the
        pilot train just in case something happened en route.

        There were seven reporters allowed on the train and I ended up having
        to follow the reports of each and in many cases the other five
        reporters accounts closely follow the track-side accounts of local
        newspapers along the route. The AP guys never did catch on, continuing
        to report wrong station names, times of events that were an hour or
        more in difference to local times and even skipping some terminal
        stops and memorial stops en route. Has anything changed today?

        It was Webster Wagner's sleeping cars that were on the train west of
        Albany, New York, when sleeping cars were added to the train. George
        M. Pullman's small fleet was split between being used at Springfield
        as portable hotels and a few which were attached to an advance train
        at Chicago. Shamefully, Pullman used the funeral to promote his new
        hotel cars and hauled many members of the press through the cars at
        Springfield to get additional PR for his hotel car service. He got
        his needed press coverage, usually printed elsewhere in many papers
        during the funeral.

        On top of Lincoln's designation of Thanksgiving, the tradition of
        florals at funerals is established with the Lincoln funeral. Lincoln
        was mumified, but the process could not be fully completed, so his
        coffin was lined with lead sheeting to act as a water-tight seal and
        he was packed on ice for the entire trip. The florals were used as a
        frangrance to mask the ongoing odor of decomposition.

        The funeral was shortened by two days by the time the train reached
        Buffalo, New York becasue he gas getting "rather fragrant." The
        entiore story is a rather amazing bit of American engenuity.
        Everything from having troops on board to protect from gurilla raiders
        to crossing rivers without bridges, to leaving part of the official
        delegation behind at a breakfast stop, to a run-away funeral train.

        About one-fourth of the United States population is estimated to have
        been at track side. For weeks after his coffin laid in state at The
        Exchange in Baltimore, crowds passed through to see the spot where the
        remains of the great president had lain for a few hours on April 21, 1865.

        The Lincoln scholars tell me that when the book came out three years
        ago, it was the first new ground published on Lincoln in about 50
        years. Out here in Ohio, at the time of the Civil War, many
        communities were small rural towns and villages and they had perhaps a
        weekly paper which, while it gave coverage of the train, failed to
        fully detail, as I would have liked, certain elements and facts. I
        finally gave in after 37 years and sent it to press. It is currently
        awaiting a reprint as a soft-cover and is listed on my web site.

        Scott Trostel
        http://canteenbooks.com
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``35``~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...> wrote:

        I am trying to digest and get some understanding of the geography of
        the CW by studying the RRs.

        The most interesting way I have found to do this is the study and
        tracing of different great journeys made on the RR. To this end I
        have come up with four remarkable trips:

        1. Bragg's movement from Tupelo to Chattanooga
        2. Jefferson Davis' trip to Vicksburg in 63
        3. Freemantles journey (23 diff roads) from Texas to Gettysburg
        4. Davis' trip in 65 to Palmetto, Ga. and Montgomery

        I would be most pleased if someone could add to this list.

        Thank you, Bill Bruner
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``30``~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • Dick Weeks
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 25, 2006
          Thanks a lot for that info Walt and thank your friend for allowing you to
          share it. I have to admit that I had not seen the that kind of material
          before. I might have to go out and but "The Lincoln Funeral Train." Thanks
          again.

          Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
          http://www.civilwarhome.com

> [...]
          >
          > About one-fourth of the United States population is estimated to have
          > been at track side. For weeks after his coffin laid in state at The
          > Exchange in Baltimore, crowds passed through to see the spot where the
          > remains of the great president had lain for a few hours on April 21, 1865.
          >
          > The Lincoln scholars tell me that when the book came out three years
          > ago, it was the first new ground published on Lincoln in about 50
          > years. Out here in Ohio, at the time of the Civil War, many
          > communities were small rural towns and villages and they had perhaps a
          > weekly paper which, while it gave coverage of the train, failed to
          > fully detail, as I would have liked, certain elements and facts. I
          > finally gave in after 37 years and sent it to press. It is currently
          > awaiting a reprint as a soft-cover and is listed on my web site.

        • Dick Weeks
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 25, 2006
            Sure hosed up that reply. Meant to say "I might have to go out and "buy"
            "The Lincoln Funeral Train." Of course you all knew that but it just read
            so hooky I thought I have better clarify :-)

            Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
            http://www.civilwarhome.com
            > Thanks a lot for that info Walt and thank your friend for allowing you to
            > share it. I have to admit that I had not seen the that kind of material
            > before. I might have to go out and but "The Lincoln Funeral Train."
            > Thanks
            > again.
            >
            > I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
            > Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
            > http://www.civilwarhome.com

          • William H Keene
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 26, 2006
              wrote:

              > Longstreet to Chickamauga: I am pretty sure he came up from
              Atlanta
              > to Chick. or Ringold but I haven't read of his route to Atlanta.
              > There are numerous possibilities, some more direct than others. I
              > also don't know his exact starting point. If you have more
              > information I would appreciate it.

              "The movement of Longstreet's troops from Virginia to reinforce
              General Bragg in Georgia was an outstanding logistical achievement
              for the Confederacy. Even though by this time railroads had become
              an important factor in the strategy of war, no major troop movement
              involving so many lines over such a long distance had yet been
              attempted. It also shows the great concern the Southern War
              Department felt for the approaching battle.

              From the Army of Northern Virginia to General Bragg's forces in
              Georgia was a distance of some 900 miles by railroad lines through
              Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia. It was
              necessary for the troops to take this longer and roundabout route of
              reaching General Bragg because General Burnside had cut the railroad
              line by way of Knoxville.

              By the summer of 1863 the railroads in the Confederacy were in very
              poor condition, for it had been extremely difficult to replace rails
              and rolling stock as the war continued. For the most part, the lines
              were comparatively short; were not connected at many points; lacked
              bridges across some of the major rivers; and like railroads
              everywhere, had different gauges. Sixteen different railroad lines
              were involved in the transfer as all parallel routes and all types
              of rolling stock were pressed into service.

              In spite of all these difficulties, however, the movement was
              attended with dispatch and secrecy. Leaving the vicinity of Orange
              Courthouse, Va., on or about September 9, the advance brigades of
              Longstreet's Corps were joining General Bragg 9 days later."

              -- http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/hh/25/hh25e.htm

              > Hooker to Chat. with what was to become the 20 Corps has peaked my
              > interest since this would be the only Federal movement on my list
              > and a very large one. I am guessing that he would have had to come
              > down from Nashville as the complicating factor in all these
              > movements is which roads were held by the enemy. I haven't read
              amy
              > sort of itinerary of this movement but it would seem to me that it
              > may rival Bragg's movement from Miss. Please, any additional info
              > would be appreciated.

              "The troops began to entrain at Manassas Junction and Bealton
              Station, Va., on September 25, and 5 days later on September 30 the
              first trains arrived at Bridgeport, Ala. The route traveled was by
              way of Washington, D. C.; Baltimore, Md.; Bellaire and Columbus,
              Ohio; Indianapolis, Ind.; Louisville, Ky.; Nashville, Tenn.; and
              Bridgeport, Ala. Several major railroad lines, including the
              Baltimore and Ohio, Central Ohio, Louisville and Nashville, and
              Nashville and Chattanooga were involved.

              Not all of the troops, however, made such good time as the first
              trains, and for the majority of the infantry the trip consumed about
              9 days. The movement of the artillery, horses, mules, baggage, and
              impediments was somewhat slower, but by the middle of October, all
              were in the vicinity of Bridgeport ready to help break the siege.

              These two corps under Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker, comprising 20,000
              troops and more than 3,000 horses and mules, traveled 1,157 miles.
              Differences in the railroad gauges hampered the movement, but most
              of the changes in gauge occurred at river crossings which had no
              bridges and the troops had to detrain at these points anyway."

              - http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/hh/25/hh25i.htm
            • Bill Bruner
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 26, 2006
                Very good! Excellent!! Outstanding!!! Your response and the links
                provided to my humble inquiry has gratified me exceedingly.

                Thank you, Bill Bruner

                <wh_keene@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > Bridgeport, Ala. Several major railroad lines, including the
                > Baltimore and Ohio, Central Ohio, Louisville and Nashville, and
                > Nashville and Chattanooga were involved.
                >
                > Not all of the troops, however, made such good time as the first
                > trains, and for the majority of the infantry the trip consumed
                about
                > 9 days. The movement of the artillery, horses, mules, baggage, and
                > impediments was somewhat slower, but by the middle of October, all
                > were in the vicinity of Bridgeport ready to help break the siege.
                >
                > These two corps under Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker, comprising 20,000
                > troops and more than 3,000 horses and mules, traveled 1,157 miles.
                > Differences in the railroad gauges hampered the movement, but most
                > of the changes in gauge occurred at river crossings which had no
                > bridges and the troops had to detrain at these points anyway."

              • hank9174
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 27, 2006
                  The 20th was perhaps the most-travelled corps in the war. Fighting
                  first Lee in the early eastern campaigns and then at Chattanooga,
                  Atlanta and through the Carolinas, they eventually completed the
                  circuit back to the grand review in Washington in May 1865.

                  Rivalled by...
                  the 19th corps which fought at Port Hudson and the Red River
                  campaign, then shipped east and fought in Sheridan's Shenandoah
                  campaign before shipping back south to garrison duty in Savannah and
                  the North Carolina coast.

                  And...
                  Schofield's 23rd corps campiagned to Atlanta and then back to
                  Nashville as the Army of the Ohio and then to Washington and
                  Goldsboro NC, re-linking with Sherman's army group.

                  These trips amply demonstrate the US' ability to move men and
                  material long distances as their usefulness waxed and waned in
                  various theaters.

                  HankC

                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jason van Teylingen
                  <jvt1976@...> wrote:

                  > Not sure this is what you're looking for, but Hooker and the 20th
                  corps from the AoP to outside Chattanooga after Chicamaugua.

                • Bill Bruner
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 27, 2006
                    I haven't computed the distances and done the necessary Arithmetic
                    involved. But my vote for the most travelled Corps would go to the
                    Ninth.

                    Roanoke Island; New Berne; Camden; Wilmington Island; James Island;
                    Manassas; Chantilly; South Mountain; Antietam; Fredericksburg; Siege
                    Of Vicksburg; Jackson; Blue Springs; Lenoir Station; Campbell's
                    Station;Fort Sanders; Siege Of Knoxville; Strawberry Plains;
                    Wilderness; Ny River; Spotsylvania; North Anna; Bethesda Church;
                    Cold Harbor; Assault On Petersburg, June 17th; Petersburg Trenches;
                    Petersburg Mine; Weldon Railroad; Poplar Spring Church; Boydton
                    Road; Hatcher's Run; Fort Stedman; Fall Of Petersburg.

                    Bill Bruner

                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

                    > The 20th was perhaps the most-travelled corps in the war. Fighting
                    > first Lee in the early eastern campaigns and then at Chattanooga,
                    > Atlanta and through the Carolinas, they eventually completed the
                    > circuit back to the grand review in Washington in May 1865.
                    >
                    > Rivalled by...
                    > the 19th corps which fought at Port Hudson and the Red River
                    > campaign, then shipped east and fought in Sheridan's Shenandoah
                    > campaign before shipping back south to garrison duty in Savannah
                    and
                    > the North Carolina coast.
                    >
                    > And...
                    > Schofield's 23rd corps campiagned to Atlanta and then back to
                    > Nashville as the Army of the Ohio and then to Washington and
                    > Goldsboro NC, re-linking with Sherman's army group.
                    >
                    > These trips amply demonstrate the US' ability to move men and
                    > material long distances as their usefulness waxed and waned in
                    > various theaters.
                    >

                    > HankC
                    >
                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jason van Teylingen
                    > <jvt1976@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Not sure this is what you're looking for, but Hooker and the
                    20th
                    > corps from the AoP to outside Chattanooga after Chicamaugua.

                  • James W. Durney
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 27, 2006
                      Wasn't the movement of Bragg's command from Florida to AS Johnston one
                      of the first movements?

                      James
                    • Bill Bruner
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 27, 2006
                        I don't know. Do you have any specific information. I am assuming
                        this movement would have been from Pensacola to Mississippi the RRs
                        would have been pretty good at that time. The Memphis Charlston
                        route was still held by the South. The round-about route throug and
                        around Mobile would not have been necessary. It should have been a
                        pretty direct route. I have no idea how many troops were involved.
                        I would be interested in details of this movement.

                        Bill Bruner

                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Wasn't the movement of Bragg's command from Florida to AS Johnston
                        one
                        > of the first movements?
                        >
                        > James

                      • Stanley Balsky
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 27, 2006
                          It is interesting that all movements discussed so far
                          are within the Confederate States by a Confederate
                          Army I always read that the rail system in the south
                          was a disaster and it was easier to move by rail in
                          the North.Where there any large movements by rail by
                          Union forces ?
                          Stan

                          --- Bill Bruner <banbruner@...> wrote:

                          > I don't know. Do you have any specific information.
                          > I am assuming
                          > this movement would have been from Pensacola to
                          > Mississippi the RRs
                          > would have been pretty good at that time. The
                          > Memphis Charlston
                          > route was still held by the South. The round-about
                          > route throug and
                          > around Mobile would not have been necessary. It
                          > should have been a
                          > pretty direct route. I have no idea how many troops
                          > were involved.
                          > I would be interested in details of this movement.
                          >
                          > Bill Bruner
                          >

                          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W.
                          > Durney" <JWD2044@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Wasn't the movement of Bragg's command from
                          > Florida to AS Johnston
                          > one
                          > > of the first movements?
                          > >
                          > > James

                          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                        • Bill Bruner
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 27, 2006
                            Damn. I was hoping this post would not have made it across the
                            ether. It is totally wrong. Of Course Bragg would have to cross
                            Momile Bay and proceed up the Mobile and Ohio to the Southern Miss.
                            RR. The Memphis and Charleston is far to the North. Maybe I'm
                            still a Sophmore after all.

                            Bill Bruner

                            wrote:

                            > I don't know. Do you have any specific information. I am assuming
                            > this movement would have been from Pensacola to Mississippi the
                            RRs
                            > would have been pretty good at that time. The Memphis Charlston
                            > route was still held by the South. The round-about route throug
                            and
                            > around Mobile would not have been necessary. It should have been
                            > pretty direct route. I have no idea how many troops were
                            involved.
                            > I would be interested in details of this movement.
                            >
                            > Bill Bruner
                            >

                            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Wasn't the movement of Bragg's command from Florida to AS
                            Johnston
                            > one
                            > > of the first movements?
                            > >
                            > > James

                          • Bill Bruner
                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 27, 2006
                              Stanley, check out Mr. Keenes post just a little while back, he
                              gives an excellent link with a good map portraying Hookers movement
                              of 20,000 troops 3000 animals, artillery, etc. over 1100 miles,
                              mostly on Northern roads from Northern Virginia to Chattanooga.

                              Bill Bruner

                              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Stanley Balsky <balsky@...>
                              wrote:

                              > It is interesting that all movements discussed so far
                              > are within the Confederate States by a Confederate
                              > Army I always read that the rail system in the south
                              > was a disaster and it was easier to move by rail in
                              > the North.Where there any large movements by rail by
                              > Union forces ?
                              > Stan
                              >
                              > --- Bill Bruner <banbruner@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > I don't know. Do you have any specific information.
                              > > I am assuming
                              > > this movement would have been from Pensacola to
                              > > Mississippi the RRs
                              > > would have been pretty good at that time. The
                              > > Memphis Charlston
                              > > route was still held by the South. The round-about
                              > > route throug and
                              > > around Mobile would not have been necessary. It
                              > > should have been a
                              > > pretty direct route. I have no idea how many troops
                              > > were involved.
                              > > I would be interested in details of this movement.
                              > >
                              > > Bill Bruner
                              > >

                              > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W.
                              > > Durney" <JWD2044@>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Wasn't the movement of Bragg's command from
                              > > Florida to AS Johnston
                              > > one
                              > > > of the first movements?
                              > > >
                              > > > James

                              > http://new.mail.yahoo.com

                            • Ronald black
                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 28, 2006
                                Stan:
                                Yes, the north used their railrioad systems extensively throughout the civil war.  A good example was the movement of Hooker's troops west from Virginia to Chattanooga and Burnsides to Knoxville.
                                Ron

                                --- Bill Bruner <banbruner@bellsouth .net> wrote:

                                > I don't know. Do you have any specific information.
                                > I am assuming
                                > this movement would have been from Pensacola to
                                > Mississippi the RRs
                                > would have been pretty good at that time. The
                                > Memphis Charlston
                                > route was still held by the South. The round-about
                                > route throug and
                                > around Mobile would not have been necessary. It
                                > should have been a
                                > pretty direct route. I have no idea how many troops
                                > were involved.
                                > I would be interested in details of this movement.
                                >
                                > Bill Bruner
                                >

                                > --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "James W.
                                > Durney" <JWD2044@... >
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Wasn't the movement of Bragg's command from
                                > Florida to AS Johnston
                                > one
                                > > of the first movements?
                                > >
                                > > James

                                Do you Yahoo!?
                                http://new.mail. yahoo.com

                                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              • Bill Bruner
                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 28, 2006
                                  Burnside to Knoxville? My maps show only one route to Knoxville and
                                  they are all Confderate roads.

                                  Bill Bruner

                                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Stan:
                                  > Yes, the north used their railrioad systems extensively throughout
                                  the civil war. A good example was the movement of Hooker's troops
                                  west from Virginia to Chattanooga and Burnsides to Knoxville.
                                  > Ron

                                  11/27/2006

                                • hank9174
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 28, 2006
                                    wrote:

                                    > Stan:
                                    > Yes, the north used their railrioad systems extensively throughout
                                    > the civil war. A good example was the movement of Hooker's troops
                                    > west from Virginia to Chattanooga and Burnsides to Knoxville.

                                    The Northern transportation rail and water net was so robust and
                                    reliable that it seldom gets more than a mention.

                                    Generals thought nothing of zipping to another theater for a meeting.
                                    Sherman's schedule in early 1864 is nothing short of amazing. He
                                    visited Nashville, Memphis, Vicksburg, New Orleans and Cincinnati
                                    before starting the spring campaign at Chattanooga.

                                    Politicians had no compulsion on asking for entire regiments home to
                                    vote. In November 1864, there were more Indiana regiments home voting
                                    then there were in Georgia fighting (literary license here - there
                                    were many Indiana regiments ghting elsewhere as well ;) )

                                    Shucks, the movement of AJ Smith's division(s) from western Missouri
                                    to Nashville in December 1864 would have been considered a miracle in
                                    the CSA...

                                    HankC
                                  • Bill Bruner
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 28, 2006
                                      A. J. Smith used steamers from St. Louis to Nashville.

                                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Stan:
                                      > > Yes, the north used their railrioad systems extensively
                                      throughout
                                      > > the civil war. A good example was the movement of Hooker's
                                      troops
                                      > > west from Virginia to Chattanooga and Burnsides to Knoxville.
                                      >
                                      > The Northern transportation rail and water net was so robust and
                                      > reliable that it seldom gets more than a mention.
                                      >
                                      > Generals thought nothing of zipping to another theater for a
                                      meeting.
                                      > Sherman's schedule in early 1864 is nothing short of amazing. He
                                      > visited Nashville, Memphis, Vicksburg, New Orleans and Cincinnati
                                      > before starting the spring campaign at Chattanooga.
                                      >
                                      > Politicians had no compulsion on asking for entire regiments home
                                      > vote. In November 1864, there were more Indiana regiments home
                                      voting
                                      > then there were in Georgia fighting (literary license here - there
                                      > were many Indiana regiments ghting elsewhere as well ;) )
                                      >
                                      > Shucks, the movement of AJ Smith's division(s) from western
                                      Missouri
                                      > to Nashville in December 1864 would have been considered a miracle
                                      in
                                      > the CSA...
                                      >

                                      > HankC

                                    • James W. Durney
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 30, 2006
                                        wrote:

                                        > Wasn't the movement of Bragg's command from Florida to AS Johnston
                                        one
                                        > of the first movements?
                                        >
                                        > James

                                        I took this from Stanley Horn's book.

                                        He transfered 10,000 men & equipment from Pensacola & Mobile to
                                        Corinth. Nothinf is mentioned about the route but my understanding is
                                        this is one of the first large rail movements of troops in the ACW.

                                        I did not find anything about this in Connelly.

                                        James
                                      • Bill Bruner
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 1, 2006
                                          wrote:

                                          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Wasn't the movement of Bragg's command from Florida to AS
                                          Johnston
                                          > one
                                          > > of the first movements?
                                          > >
                                          > > James
                                          > >

                                          > I took this from Stanley Horn's book.
                                          >
                                          > He transfered 10,000 men & equipment from Pensacola & Mobile to
                                          > Corinth. Nothinf is mentioned about the route but my
                                          understanding is

                                          Actually, I think this movement was a bit of dress rehearsal for
                                          Btagg's later, larger movement, in the opposite direction, back to
                                          Chattanooga. The route would most certainly have been up the
                                          Alabama and Fla. of Fla. from Pensacola to Pollard, then west on the
                                          newly completed Mobile and Great Northern. This is the tricky part,
                                          where a gap existed between the Tensas River and Mobile, that needed
                                          to be negotiated by boat or march to Mobile and the Mobile and Ohio
                                          RR and thence Northward, by a fairly through route, to Corinth.

                                          Bill Bruner

                                          > this is one of the first large rail movements of troops in the ACW.
                                          >
                                          > I did not find anything about this in Connelly.
                                          >
                                          > James

                                        • gnrljejohnston
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 2, 2006
                                            wrote:

                                            This is the tricky part,
                                            > where a gap existed between the Tensas River and Mobile, that needed
                                            > to be negotiated by boat or march to Mobile and the Mobile and Ohio
                                            > RR and thence Northward, by a fairly through route, to Corinth.
                                            >
                                            > Bill Bruner

                                            Another possibility was to travel by boat from Mobile up pass Quitman,
                                            MS to Meridian, MS which was a RR terminal as well. From there the
                                            line goes to Atlanta. I forget the name of the river, but it was used
                                            by Confederates to transport supplies and wounded to the Texas Hospital
                                            in Quitman.

                                            JEJ
                                          • Bill Bruner
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 2, 2006
                                              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "gnrljejohnston"
                                              <GnrlJEJohnston@...> wrote:

                                              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > This is the tricky part,
                                              > > where a gap existed between the Tensas River and Mobile, that
                                              needed
                                              > > to be negotiated by boat or march to Mobile and the Mobile and
                                              Ohio
                                              > > RR and thence Northward, by a fairly through route, to Corinth.
                                              > >
                                              > > Bill Bruner
                                              >
                                              > Another possibility was to travel by boat from Mobile up pass
                                              Quitman,
                                              > MS to Meridian, MS which was a RR terminal as well. From there
                                              the
                                              > line goes to Atlanta. I forget the name of the river, but it was
                                              used
                                              > by Confederates to transport supplies and wounded to the Texas
                                              Hospital
                                              > in Quitman.
                                              >
                                              > JEJ

                                              On closer examination of maps availabe it seems clear that the route
                                              would be from Pensacola on the Al. and Fla of Fla rr to Pollard then
                                              West to Tensas, by way of the Mobile and Great Northern rr. Tensas
                                              was the terminus of this rr at the Alabama river.

                                              They would board boats south down the Alabama River to Mobile bay (a
                                              very short distance) and then across the bay to Mobile (a total
                                              distance of about thirty miles from the terminus at Tensas). From
                                              Mobile it looks like a straight shot of 134 miles north to Meridian
                                              and on to Corinth.

                                              I think the river you were trying to recall was the Tombigbee.

                                              Bill Bruner
                                            • gnrljejohnston
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 2, 2006
                                                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>

                                                > I think the river you were trying to recall was the Tombigbee.
                                                >
                                                > Bill Bruner

                                                That's the problem of getting old Bill. You have those Senior
                                                Moments. :-) As many times I have been around and on that river, you
                                                would think that I at least would remember its name. Shame on me. That
                                                river was used by packet boats and one of the important routes to
                                                transport logistics from Mobile to Meridian, and from there to Atlanta
                                                and Corinth.

                                                JEJ

                                              • Bill Bruner
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 2, 2006
                                                  <GnrlJEJohnston@...> wrote:

                                                  > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@>
                                                  >
                                                  > > I think the river you were trying to recall was the Tombigbee.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Bill Bruner
                                                  >
                                                  > That's the problem of getting old Bill. You have those Senior
                                                  > Moments. :-) As many times I have been around and on that river,
                                                  you
                                                  > would think that I at least would remember its name. Shame on me.
                                                  That
                                                  > river was used by packet boats and one of the important routes to
                                                  > transport logistics from Mobile to Meridian, and from there to
                                                  Atlanta
                                                  > and Corinth.
                                                  >
                                                  > JEJ

                                                  The more you know the more there is to forget.

                                                  "The price of knowledge is eternal review"

                                                  Bill Bruner

                                                • Ask Me
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 19, 2006
                                                    I'm new to the group and am just begining to follow his topic:

                                                    This post struck a chord with me. Here is a short list which might be
                                                    of some use.

                                                    Book: Mars Gets New Chariots - Lt Col Alan R Koenig Amazon.com -
                                                    31.95.Info on Amazon suggests Col Koenig teaches at U Nebraska.

                                                    Book: The Railroads of the Confederacy - Robert Block 50 year old
                                                    book,

                                                    Web: http://www-csa-railroads.com/index.html
                                                    Web: http://geocites.com/Yosemite/Trails/9401/civilwar.html
                                                    Web: http://www.shohla.com/trainwreck