Re: Between Wind and Water

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pittman_earl" <wpittman@...>
      wrote:

      > The expression "between wind and water" is an old Navy term
      referring
      > to the body of a ship above the waterline and below the sails or
      deck
      > level. Thus, to be hit "between wind and water" is to be damaged. It
      (
      > the term) was used in other contexts beside damage. My father was
      > Regular USN and used it fairly often. I never heard it used when I
      was
      > in the USN. Earl Pittman

      Yes, this and the other explanations seem to be correct. I too had
      heard this term used in a different context before, from an old friend
      of my father's, whom I believe was an old navy man, since everyone
      called him sailor. With the definitions supplied by y'all and a bit
      of thinking on the context in which Sailor used the term I believe
      that it was used to denote, in a larger context, a blow to any weak or
      vulnerable spot.

      Thank you, Bill Bruner