Ninety days men: A question

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2006
      All those men that signed up right after Ft. Sumpter for ninety days,
      there were quite a few. Was their military service satisfied for the
      duration of the war after the expiration of their ninety days tour?
      Or were they later subject to conscription?

      Bill Bruner
    • nickrelee@aol.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2006
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>
          wrote:

          > All those men that signed up right after Ft. Sumpter for ninety
          days,
          > there were quite a few. Was their military service satisfied for
          the
          > duration of the war after the expiration of their ninety days tour?
          > Or were they later subject to conscription?
          >
          > Bill Bruner

          My understanding is that it was. However, a large number enlisted in
          other regiments under one option or the other. It seems, one
          enlistment was enough, if you wanted it to be.

          James