Re: Bearss' Three Volume Set On Vicksburg Campaign

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006
      it's funny to me that you would say "near-religious", as you seem to
      have decided he has, well, clay feet.

      I personally do not have these books

      > Has anyone here ever done a battle tour with him? I understand it's
      > a near-religious experience. I looked into a Vicksburg tour this
      > spring (2007), but they're asking *cough* something on the order of
      > 1700 bucks.

    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006
        NO, I have not read the three volumes -- but I have glanced t them from time
        to time. Remember, they were written decades ago and reflected the knowledge
        of an earlier area.

        As for his tours: they are a religious experience! We took one of
        Chickamauga a couple of years ago and I was prepared to be under whelmed.
        But wasn't! It was an unbelievable tour -- everyone should take a Bearss
        tour!

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

        ...the greatest and the noblest man of the last century was Abraham
        Lincoln.Though America was his motherland and he was an American, he
        regarded the whole world as his native land.

        Mahatma Gandhi, August 26, 1905

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006

          it's funny to me that you would say "near-religious", as you seem to
          have decided he has, well, clay feet.

          I personally do not have these books

          Has anyone here ever done a battle tour with him? I understand it's
          a near-religious experience.

          Never have done a battle tour with him, but I did spend five days with
          him in a seminar along with Wiley Sword, Ted Wilson (NPS Historian at
          Antietam, Richard McMurry, and (?) Greene the director of Pamplin Park.
          Seminar topics were great, but we learned more at the bar following
          all the discussions. :-)

          JEJ
        • Tony Gunter
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006

            > it's funny to me that you would say "near-religious", as you seem to
            > have decided he has, well, clay feet.

            I have issues with his three-volume set, but the following write-up
            from Wikipedia certainly makes me want to see him doing what he does
            best:

            ---

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Bearss

            Touring
            Bearss is a consummate tour guide, bringing history alive to visitors
            of all knowledge levels, revealing encyclopedic stores of memory and
            enormous personal energy, but always with rich and colorful anecdotes.
            A Washington Post reporter described his style as "Homeric monologues."
            The Wall Street Journal wrote that he evokes "almost hallucinatory
            sensations." Historian Dennis Frye said a "battlefield [tour] with Ed
            Bearss [is a] transcendental experience." Admirers have suggested that,
            if the United States ever recognizes Living National Treasures, as
            Japan and Australia do, Bearss should be an immediate honoree.

            Bearss started interpretative touring as part of his official duties in
            Vicksburg, leading eight one-hour tours a day. Although he was no
            longer required to do so after 1958, he kept it up as an avocation on
            weekends. He attracted ROTC classes, active-duty military officers and
            VIPs, and other historians. Beginning in 1961, he began annual tours
            for the prestigious Chicago Civil War Roundtable. One of his greatest
            challenges was his annual tours of Vicksburg for the Louisiana School
            for the Blind and Deaf. He is a lifetime honorary member of the
            Cleveland Civil War Roundtable, to which he has spoken many times,
            beginning in 1962 and as recently as 2004.

            Currently, Bearss, in his eighties, continues to lead numerous tours—
            traveling as many as 200 days per year—around the United States, the
            Pacific, and Europe. He routinely outpaces his much younger guests in
            charging over rough terrain, recreating the color of famous infantry
            and cavalry attacks.

            ---

            The particular tour package I pulled up was a $1700 dollar package for
            spring 2007:

            http://www.smithsonianjourneys.org/unitedstates/032404vicksburg.asp
          • Stanley Balsky
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006
              Maybe the clay feet is why it is near-religious rather
              than religious
              Stan
              --- Carl Williams <carlw4514@...> wrote:

              > it's funny to me that you would say
              > "near-religious", as you seem to
              > have decided he has, well, clay feet.
              >
              > I personally do not have these books
              >
              > > Has anyone here ever done a battle tour with him?
              > I understand it's
              > > a near-religious experience. I looked into a
              > Vicksburg tour this
              > > spring (2007), but they're asking *cough*
              > something on the order of
              > > 1700 bucks.

              Sponsored Link

              Get an Online or Campus degree
              Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's - in less than one year.
              http://www.findtherightschool.com
            • Stanley Balsky
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006
                Maybe the clay feet is why it is near-religious rather
                than religious
                Stan
                --- Carl Williams <carlw4514@...> wrote:

                > it's funny to me that you would say
                > "near-religious", as you seem to
                > have decided he has, well, clay feet.
                >
                > I personally do not have these books
                >
                > > Has anyone here ever done a battle tour with him?
                > I understand it's
                > > a near-religious experience. I looked into a
                > Vicksburg tour this
                > > spring (2007), but they're asking *cough*
                > something on the order of
                > > 1700 bucks.

                Sponsored Link

                Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $420k for $1,399/mo.
                Calculate new payment!
                http://www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
              • Stanley Balsky
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006
                  Maybe the clay feet is why it is near-religious rather
                  than religious
                  Stan
                  --- Carl Williams <carlw4514@...> wrote:

                  > it's funny to me that you would say
                  > "near-religious", as you seem to
                  > have decided he has, well, clay feet.
                  >
                  > I personally do not have these books
                  >
                  > > Has anyone here ever done a battle tour with him?
                  > I understand it's
                  > > a near-religious experience. I looked into a
                  > Vicksburg tour this
                  > > spring (2007), but they're asking *cough*
                  > something on the order of
                  > > 1700 bucks.

                  Sponsored Link

                  Free Uniden 5.8GHz Phone System with Packet8 Internet Phone Service
                  http://www.getpacket8.net/yahoo2
                • Tony Gunter
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006

                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > it's funny to me that you would say "near-religious", as you seem
                    > > have decided he has, well, clay feet.
                    >
                    > I have issues with his three-volume set, but the following write-up
                    > from Wikipedia certainly makes me want to see him doing what he
                    does
                    > best:
                    >
                    > ---
                    >
                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Bearss
                    >
                    > Touring
                    > Bearss is a consummate tour guide, bringing history alive to
                    visitors
                    > of all knowledge levels, revealing encyclopedic stores of memory
                    and
                    > enormous personal energy, but always with rich and colorful
                    anecdotes.
                    > A Washington Post reporter described his style as "Homeric
                    monologues."
                    > The Wall Street Journal wrote that he evokes "almost hallucinatory
                    > sensations." Historian Dennis Frye said a "battlefield [tour] with
                    Ed
                    > Bearss [is a] transcendental experience." Admirers have suggested
                    that,
                    > if the United States ever recognizes Living National Treasures, as
                    > Japan and Australia do, Bearss should be an immediate honoree.
                    >
                    > Bearss started interpretative touring as part of his official
                    duties in
                    > Vicksburg, leading eight one-hour tours a day. Although he was no
                    > longer required to do so after 1958, he kept it up as an avocation
                    on
                    > weekends. He attracted ROTC classes, active-duty military officers
                    and
                    > VIPs, and other historians. Beginning in 1961, he began annual
                    tours
                    > for the prestigious Chicago Civil War Roundtable. One of his
                    greatest
                    > challenges was his annual tours of Vicksburg for the Louisiana
                    School
                    > for the Blind and Deaf. He is a lifetime honorary member of the
                    > Cleveland Civil War Roundtable, to which he has spoken many times,
                    > beginning in 1962 and as recently as 2004.
                    >
                    > Currently, Bearss, in his eighties, continues to lead numerous
                    tours—
                    > traveling as many as 200 days per year—around the United States,
                    the
                    > Pacific, and Europe. He routinely outpaces his much younger guests
                    in
                    > charging over rough terrain, recreating the color of famous
                    infantry
                    > and cavalry attacks.
                    >
                    > ---
                    >
                    > The particular tour package I pulled up was a $1700 dollar package
                    for
                    > spring 2007:
                    >
                    > http://www.smithsonianjourneys.org/unitedstates/032404vicksburg.asp

                    Oops ... that would be the 2004 tour, here's the 2007 tour:

                    http://www.smithsonianjourneys.org/unitedstates/042507vicksburg.asp
                  • Ronald black
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006
                      I have the three volume set and have read 1 1/2 volumes before being sidetracked by the honey dew list.  I enjoyed them very much and specially so because of having a complete history of the campaign from start to finish in this set instead of in scattered books.  Yes, I will complete reading the set and plan on reading it a second time.
                      Ron
                      --- Carl Williams <carlw4514@yahoo. com> wrote:

                      > it's funny to me that you would say
                      > "near-religious" , as you seem to
                      > have decided he has, well, clay feet.
                      >
                      > I personally do not have these books
                      >
                      > > Has anyone here ever done a battle tour with him?
                      > I understand it's
                      > > a near-religious experience. I looked into a
                      > Vicksburg tour this
                      > > spring (2007), but they're asking *cough*
                      > something on the order of
                      > > 1700 bucks.

                      Sponsored Link

                      Get an Online or Campus degree
                      Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's - in less than one year.
                      http://www.findther ightschool. com

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    • James W. Durney
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006
                        I have the full set and have read only the 1st book. I enjoy reading
                        Bearss, he writes in the present. It gives me a better feel of what
                        they thought was happening. This makes what they did more logical.
                        Brarss will say 1,000 men are advancing down the road. After all the
                        action takes place, he tells you the report was false. Most authors
                        will give you a "were move to cover based on bad information".

                        My knowledge of Vicksburg isn't good enough to nitpick Bearss. In
                        terms of a landing, often what we think they could do, just never
                        occured to them.

                        I've never toured with him but have listened to recording of his
                        talks. These are excellent and being their would seem to be much
                        better.
                      • basecat1@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006
                          In a message dated 11/8/2006 5:28:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, huddleston.r@... writes:
                          As for his tours: they are a religious experience! We took one of
                          Chickamauga a couple of years ago and I was prepared to be under whelmed.
                          But wasn't! It was an unbelievable tour -- everyone should take a Bearss
                          tour!

                          Take care,

                          Bob
                          Bob,

                          Have taken a couple of tours with him at Perryville and battlefields of the Seven Days, and well worth the price of admission.

                          Regards from the Garden State,

                          Steve Basic
                        • hank9174
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 9, 2006

                            > Has anyone here ever done a battle tour with him? I understand it's
                            > a near-religious experience. I looked into a Vicksburg tour this
                            > spring (2007), but they're asking *cough* something on the order of
                            > 1700 bucks.

                            I took a Smithsonian day tour with him at Petersburg on a dark, gloomy
                            March day a long time ago.

                            I'm not sure about 'near-religious', but at the end of the day the sun
                            came out and a beam came through a stained glass window at Blandford
                            church as we finished ;)

                            HankC
                          • hank9174
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 9, 2006
                              Bearss leads numerous day trips in the Washington area. Here is a
                              recent list. See more at http://www.civilwarstudies.org/ ...

                              SMITHSONIAN CIVIL WAR SEMINARS
                              & One Day Events

                              New! John Mosby in Fairfax, Fauquier, and Loudoun
                              Sunday, September 24
                              Join Civil War authority Edwin C. Bearss for a tour of Mosby country -
                              the setting for much of Mosby?'s behind-the-lines activity -
                              beginning in Fairfax and ending in Loudoun County.

                              New! Civil War at Kelly's Ford and Bristoe Station
                              Saturday, September 30
                              Civil War authority Edwin C. Bearss leads this tour, which explores a
                              strategic travel route between Washington and Culpeper that was used
                              during significant campaigns.

                              Jeb Stuart's Ride to Gettysburg
                              Sunday, October 1, 7:30 am
                              This tour, led by Civil War authority Edwin C. Bearss, follows the
                              controversial cavalry operations of Stuart and his troops during the
                              Gettysburg campaign.

                              Booth's Escape Route
                              Sunday, October 8, 8:00 am
                              Civil War authority Edwin C. Bearss retraces Booth's escape route and
                              reveals the personalities and intrigues surrounding the assassination.

                              HankC
                            • Tony Gunter
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 9, 2006
                                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>
                                wrote:

                                > My knowledge of Vicksburg isn't good enough to nitpick Bearss.

                                My knowledge of Vicksburg isn't good enough to nitpick Bearss except in
                                regard to the Battle of Raymond. In that particular section, however,
                                he just plain makes stuff up, sometimes out of whole cloth. Which
                                makes me uneasy as I read the rest of the material. I feel like I
                                ought to be checking his sources every time I see a footnote.