Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Follow up on Texas "What Ifs"??

  • Steve Saultz
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
                > No sirÂ…. I believe Lincoln was
      inaugurated March 4th, and Twiggs did not surrender until March
      16/17th. The Texas Convention had not forced State officials to
      swear oath to Confederacy yet, not until March 14th, when Houston
      was forced to resign.

      You are mistaken. Twiggs surrendered in February.

                         Definately stand corrected on that, complete brain-fry!  But I will still stick with Lincoln had time with Houston, if'n it would have been made.  But just theory IMHO...

                       Seems to me you are suggesting action by some miltia from Kansas
                       marching south along with some troops from Missouri -- not sure
                       exactly how you propose they go to Texas -- along with whatever
                       troops were in Texas already. SOunds scattered to me.

                         According to Douglas Hale and his " The 3rd Texas Cavalry", it was a straight shot, taking roughly 21 days or less for Col. Elkanah B. Greer & 3rd to make it to Ft.Smith, Ark. from Dallas. (The "lower emigrants" trail from St. Louis to San Antonio, evidently was a decent road, had been traversed since mid 1840s. From San Ant. onto El Paso...)  Across the river into Van Buren, Ark., it only took him 5 days to reach Gen. McCulloch outside of Springfield for Wilsons Creek.  Evidently he did leave wagons & artillery behind to make the 5 days.
           Again the Red River at the time was navigitable from Mississippi.  Union had miltia of loyal Creeks & Cherokees in Indian Territories as well, a Kansans. Kansas fellas were pretty organized by then. Heck! They had been at it since the 1850s.
          I just personally cannot see where it would be anymore scattered than what was going on with any other action at the time.    Course, this was just a "what if"... Sooooo, reckon I'll let it just buck it'self out for now... But it has been interesting chatting with you on this. Thankyou sir!
             Respectfully,
                   Capt. McCracken..........

      William H Keene <wh_keene@...> wrote:
      --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, Steve Saultz <tristan4th@ ...>
      > William H Keene <wh_keene@.. .> wrote: Sooner than what? Twiggs
      had surrendered US military posts and
      > public property prior to Lincoln's inauguaration.
      >
      > No sirÂ…. I believe Lincoln was
      inaugurated March 4th, and Twiggs did not surrender until March
      16/17th. The Texas Convention had not forced State officials to
      swear oath to Confederacy yet, not until March 14th, when Houston
      was forced to resign.

      You are mistaken. Twiggs surrendered in February.

      > Keene: Lincoln was initially trying to defuse
      the situation. Sending
      > scattered invasion forces toward Texas would not have
      helped

      > Why would have it a been a "scattered" invasion?

      Seems to me you are suggesting action by some miltia from Kansas
      marching south along with some troops from Missouri -- not sure
      exactly how you propose they go to Texas -- along with whatever
      troops were in Texas already. SOunds scattered to me.

      Yours,

      Will