Re: Chickamauga by Turchin

  • gnrljejohnston
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006

      > Thank you evermuch General, but no one has yet given me the town near
      or in
      > which this village can be found. I'd very much like to stop at a real
      Shaker
      > community on the way to something more focal. > Ken

      Ken, Shaker Village is in Pleasant Hill which is near Harrodsburg.
      Just a short drive from either Lexington, Richmond, or Perryville.

      JEJ

    • mobile_96
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006
        < They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by
        the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the lyrics?
        Ken.>
        And don't forget to visit Merchant's Row in Perryville.
        Last I heard they were still working on turning as much of it as
        possible into a Living History village. In '03 they were working on the
        Dr's Office and home. A short distance north of town is Bragg's HQ.When
        there last, the building had residents, but I understand they were in
        the process of getting them out, so they could get it restored and
        opened. You can also take the winding drive (off the main road just a
        bit south of the house) down behind the house, to the location of the
        only still operating spring in the area. The spring is not visited
        often, as I have to get out and move branches from the road before
        proceeding down.
        There are a few soldiers, from the battle, buried in the town cemetery.
        Even without the battle held nearby, the town has a interesting early
        history.
        Chuck
      • gnrljejohnston
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "mobile_96" <mobile_96@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@ wrote:
          > < They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by
          > the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the
          lyrics?
          > Ken.>
          > And don't forget to visit Merchant's Row in Perryville.
          > Last I heard they were still working on turning as much of it as
          > possible into a Living History village. In '03 they were working on
          the
          > Dr's Office and home. A short distance north of town is Bragg's
          HQ.When
          > there last, the building had residents, but I understand they were
          in
          > the process of getting them out, so they could get it restored and
          > opened. You can also take the winding drive (off the main road just
          > bit south of the house) down behind the house, to the location of
          the
          > only still operating spring in the area. The spring is not visited
          > often, as I have to get out and move branches from the road before
          > proceeding down.
          > There are a few soldiers, from the battle, buried in the town
          cemetery.
          > Even without the battle held nearby, the town has a interesting
          early
          > history.
          > Chuck

          Also, you can take the road West out of Perryville, go to the end and
          turn right and it will loop back to the road you were on out of
          Perryville, but heading East. This little loop is quite interesting
          for there are several markers there, including where the first
          encounter of Confederate troops with Sheridan's troops, thus
          beginning the battle of Perryville. I believe I posted pix of this
          area on the website.

          JEJ

        • pete@blueone.net
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 4, 2006
            Shakertown is on Hwy 68 southwest of Lexington and northeast of Harrodsburg. From Lexington, look
            for Hwy 68 (Harrodsburg Road) on the southwest side of the city.
            If in Frankfort, take 127 south to Danville and then go northeast to Shakertown.
            Signs to Perryville in Danville and Harrodsburg abound--you'll have no problem getting to P'ville
            form either location.

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 7, 2006
              As posted earlier I may have found a copy of Chickamauga by Turchin that was owned by Rosecrans.  I looked thru the entire book and found only 4 pages where notes were made.  I just posted these scans onto the photo page on the group's homepage.  Its in a folder called "Pages from Chickamauga by Turchin"

              The notes are pretty limited.  I didn't find anything that really confirmed that it was Rosy's book.  Online I found a place selling a letter of his which you can view at:
              It appears to me that the handwriting is similar, but the two samples are small so a professional handwriting analyst probably couldn't say anything for sure.  But go ahead and look at the two samples and see what you think.  At first glance I'd say that the known letter doesn't destroy the possibility that the book was Rosy's.
              --Nick