Re: Chickamauga by Turchin

  • gnrljejohnston
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006

      > Excellent advice, honored lurker, but missing in your post is the
      location of this Shaker Village. Ken.

      Ken, Shaker Village is in Pleasant Hill which is close to Bardstown.

      Go to the URL for accurate info. www.shakervillageky.org/

      JEJ

    • gnrljejohnston
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006

        > Thank you evermuch General, but no one has yet given me the town near
        or in
        > which this village can be found. I'd very much like to stop at a real
        Shaker
        > community on the way to something more focal. > Ken

        Ken, Shaker Village is in Pleasant Hill which is near Harrodsburg.
        Just a short drive from either Lexington, Richmond, or Perryville.

        JEJ

      • mobile_96
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006
          < They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by
          the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the lyrics?
          Ken.>
          And don't forget to visit Merchant's Row in Perryville.
          Last I heard they were still working on turning as much of it as
          possible into a Living History village. In '03 they were working on the
          Dr's Office and home. A short distance north of town is Bragg's HQ.When
          there last, the building had residents, but I understand they were in
          the process of getting them out, so they could get it restored and
          opened. You can also take the winding drive (off the main road just a
          bit south of the house) down behind the house, to the location of the
          only still operating spring in the area. The spring is not visited
          often, as I have to get out and move branches from the road before
          proceeding down.
          There are a few soldiers, from the battle, buried in the town cemetery.
          Even without the battle held nearby, the town has a interesting early
          history.
          Chuck
        • gnrljejohnston
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "mobile_96" <mobile_96@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@ wrote:
            > < They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by
            > the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the
            lyrics?
            > Ken.>
            > And don't forget to visit Merchant's Row in Perryville.
            > Last I heard they were still working on turning as much of it as
            > possible into a Living History village. In '03 they were working on
            the
            > Dr's Office and home. A short distance north of town is Bragg's
            HQ.When
            > there last, the building had residents, but I understand they were
            in
            > the process of getting them out, so they could get it restored and
            > opened. You can also take the winding drive (off the main road just
            > bit south of the house) down behind the house, to the location of
            the
            > only still operating spring in the area. The spring is not visited
            > often, as I have to get out and move branches from the road before
            > proceeding down.
            > There are a few soldiers, from the battle, buried in the town
            cemetery.
            > Even without the battle held nearby, the town has a interesting
            early
            > history.
            > Chuck

            Also, you can take the road West out of Perryville, go to the end and
            turn right and it will loop back to the road you were on out of
            Perryville, but heading East. This little loop is quite interesting
            for there are several markers there, including where the first
            encounter of Confederate troops with Sheridan's troops, thus
            beginning the battle of Perryville. I believe I posted pix of this
            area on the website.

            JEJ

          • pete@blueone.net
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 4, 2006
              Shakertown is on Hwy 68 southwest of Lexington and northeast of Harrodsburg. From Lexington, look
              for Hwy 68 (Harrodsburg Road) on the southwest side of the city.
              If in Frankfort, take 127 south to Danville and then go northeast to Shakertown.
              Signs to Perryville in Danville and Harrodsburg abound--you'll have no problem getting to P'ville
              form either location.

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 7, 2006
                As posted earlier I may have found a copy of Chickamauga by Turchin that was owned by Rosecrans.  I looked thru the entire book and found only 4 pages where notes were made.  I just posted these scans onto the photo page on the group's homepage.  Its in a folder called "Pages from Chickamauga by Turchin"

                The notes are pretty limited.  I didn't find anything that really confirmed that it was Rosy's book.  Online I found a place selling a letter of his which you can view at:
                It appears to me that the handwriting is similar, but the two samples are small so a professional handwriting analyst probably couldn't say anything for sure.  But go ahead and look at the two samples and see what you think.  At first glance I'd say that the known letter doesn't destroy the possibility that the book was Rosy's.
                --Nick