Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Chickamauga by Turchin

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
      Mr. Dorr. Respect, sir. Kentucky seems to have figured out that it wasn't going to get federal recognition and simply set out on its own to preserve the sites. So it may have been with a left-eye toward tourist revenue, its lean toward CW sites deserves kudos. They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the lyrics?
      Ken
    • gnrljejohnston
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006

        > Excellent advice, honored lurker, but missing in your post is the
        location of this Shaker Village. Ken.

        Ken, Shaker Village is in Pleasant Hill which is close to Bardstown.

        Go to the URL for accurate info. www.shakervillageky.org/

        JEJ

      • gnrljejohnston
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006

          > Thank you evermuch General, but no one has yet given me the town near
          or in
          > which this village can be found. I'd very much like to stop at a real
          Shaker
          > community on the way to something more focal. > Ken

          Ken, Shaker Village is in Pleasant Hill which is near Harrodsburg.
          Just a short drive from either Lexington, Richmond, or Perryville.

          JEJ

        • mobile_96
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006
            < They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by
            the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the lyrics?
            Ken.>
            And don't forget to visit Merchant's Row in Perryville.
            Last I heard they were still working on turning as much of it as
            possible into a Living History village. In '03 they were working on the
            Dr's Office and home. A short distance north of town is Bragg's HQ.When
            there last, the building had residents, but I understand they were in
            the process of getting them out, so they could get it restored and
            opened. You can also take the winding drive (off the main road just a
            bit south of the house) down behind the house, to the location of the
            only still operating spring in the area. The spring is not visited
            often, as I have to get out and move branches from the road before
            proceeding down.
            There are a few soldiers, from the battle, buried in the town cemetery.
            Even without the battle held nearby, the town has a interesting early
            history.
            Chuck
          • gnrljejohnston
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "mobile_96" <mobile_96@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@ wrote:
              > < They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by
              > the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the
              lyrics?
              > Ken.>
              > And don't forget to visit Merchant's Row in Perryville.
              > Last I heard they were still working on turning as much of it as
              > possible into a Living History village. In '03 they were working on
              the
              > Dr's Office and home. A short distance north of town is Bragg's
              HQ.When
              > there last, the building had residents, but I understand they were
              in
              > the process of getting them out, so they could get it restored and
              > opened. You can also take the winding drive (off the main road just
              > bit south of the house) down behind the house, to the location of
              the
              > only still operating spring in the area. The spring is not visited
              > often, as I have to get out and move branches from the road before
              > proceeding down.
              > There are a few soldiers, from the battle, buried in the town
              cemetery.
              > Even without the battle held nearby, the town has a interesting
              early
              > history.
              > Chuck

              Also, you can take the road West out of Perryville, go to the end and
              turn right and it will loop back to the road you were on out of
              Perryville, but heading East. This little loop is quite interesting
              for there are several markers there, including where the first
              encounter of Confederate troops with Sheridan's troops, thus
              beginning the battle of Perryville. I believe I posted pix of this
              area on the website.

              JEJ

            • pete@blueone.net
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 4, 2006
                Shakertown is on Hwy 68 southwest of Lexington and northeast of Harrodsburg. From Lexington, look
                for Hwy 68 (Harrodsburg Road) on the southwest side of the city.
                If in Frankfort, take 127 south to Danville and then go northeast to Shakertown.
                Signs to Perryville in Danville and Harrodsburg abound--you'll have no problem getting to P'ville
                form either location.

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 7, 2006
                  As posted earlier I may have found a copy of Chickamauga by Turchin that was owned by Rosecrans.  I looked thru the entire book and found only 4 pages where notes were made.  I just posted these scans onto the photo page on the group's homepage.  Its in a folder called "Pages from Chickamauga by Turchin"

                  The notes are pretty limited.  I didn't find anything that really confirmed that it was Rosy's book.  Online I found a place selling a letter of his which you can view at:
                  It appears to me that the handwriting is similar, but the two samples are small so a professional handwriting analyst probably couldn't say anything for sure.  But go ahead and look at the two samples and see what you think.  At first glance I'd say that the known letter doesn't destroy the possibility that the book was Rosy's.
                  --Nick