Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Chickamauga by Turchin

  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
      In a message dated 11/2/2006 9:05:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
      While your that close to Richmond, KY (about twenty - thirty miles)
      it would pay to visit the sites of the battle of Richmond. They have
      a driving tour guide that can be obtained at the Chamber of Commerce.
      Do pay a visit to the cemetery that is on the south edge of town were
      the Confederate dead were buried. I believe I posted some photos of
      that cemetery and the church that served as a hospital. Plus,
      everything is free :-)

      JEJ
      General....after this years Perryville reenactment, myself and my messmate drove over to Richmond and took the driving tour of the Richmond battle.  It takes you all the way down to Big Hill and then you work your way back to Richmond.   Not a lot to see other than the church but the Battlefield Association has recently purchased more land and the beginnings of a park with a visitors center are there.   The potential for making another attraction like Perryville is obvious.  The cemetery was interesting as well.
             It appears that the state of KY and its areas have come to appreciate the benefits of tourists and their willingness to spend $ on things of historical interest.  Up the road from Richmond is also the recreated site of Boonsboro which was ok to tour.  The real gem here was that we learned about a recently accessed CW earthen fort over the river from Boonsboro.  If you are hearty enough to make the hike up to the top from the highway, it was worth the effort.

      Kent Dorr
    • gnrljejohnston
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006

        > In a message dated 11/2/2006 8:01:45 PM Central Standard Time,
        > GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
        > Also nearby Shaker Village
        > Of that I have know knowledge. Is it worth a stop in a pressed
        situation?
        > With only so much time to cover thus and such an area? Where is it
        and what is
        > its interest? Was unaware of a Shaker presence in the area. A
        strange group with
        > strange ideas that guaranteed its demise -- much in the same vein
        as the King
        > David group in Michigan. I'll definitely include it in the next
        trip that way
        > if you'll recommend it.
        > Ken
        >
        > Ken

        Ken,
        Shaker Village is surely worth a stop. The Shakers that were there
        following the Battles of Richmond and Perryville served as nurses,
        orderlies, and took wounded into their homes, both Union and
        Confederate. One of the gals that helps run it (I forgot her name,
        but she use to be "Host Orphan" in AOL's Mason Dixon Room) and is one
        of the best sources of battles in that area. She is the one that got
        the Perryville NPS Supt. give me a personal tour of the battlefield.

        JEJ
      • keeno2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
          In a message dated 11/2/2006 9:35:24 PM Central Standard Time, pete@... writes:
          If a lurker can throw in a comment, Shaker Village is very worthwhile.  If you have time, eat a meal there and you'll enjoy food as never before--everything grown or raised on the site or a nearby farm.  But to eat genly requires a reservation a few days in advance. Pete Cohron
          Excellent advice, honored lurker, but missing in your post is the location of this Shaker Village. Up this way we have the Amish. And if you want meat and pototoes to die for, slide over to one of their communities. I'm guessing the Amish and the Shakers have absolutely nothing in common except for a bottom-line appreciation for good food and plenty of it. We're certainly not going to find a dish of tossed greens lightly sprinkled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil with a scattering of garlic-touched croutons.

          Will note your response and mark my calendar with indelible ink. Thanks in advance,
          Ken.
        • keeno2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
            In a message dated 11/2/2006 9:51:23 PM Central Standard Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
            She is the one that got the Perryville NPS Supt. give me a personal tour of the battlefield.
            Thank you evermuch General, but no one has yet given me the town near or in which this village can be found. I'd very much like to stop at a real Shaker community on the way to something more focal. It would be a curiousity like the Oneida Community or the Amana Colonies or the Amish communities that dot the sweeping farmland of the great plains. (I recall some Hutterites somewhere north of where I grew up.) Of some historical but little personal interest. A blip in the road. These people were a thread in the tapesty. Good, decent, God-fearing. (Hate that word: God-fearing.) But a fundamental piece of the republic. "You can do as you wish, believe what you want, worship as you will, and if you can bring up a wagon of shelled corn, we will buy it." God bless America.
            OK. I'm waxing stupid.'
            Ken
          • keeno2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
              Mr. Dorr. Respect, sir. Kentucky seems to have figured out that it wasn't going to get federal recognition and simply set out on its own to preserve the sites. So it may have been with a left-eye toward tourist revenue, its lean toward CW sites deserves kudos. They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the lyrics?
              Ken
            • gnrljejohnston
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006

                > Excellent advice, honored lurker, but missing in your post is the
                location of this Shaker Village. Ken.

                Ken, Shaker Village is in Pleasant Hill which is close to Bardstown.

                Go to the URL for accurate info. www.shakervillageky.org/

                JEJ

              • gnrljejohnston
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006

                  > Thank you evermuch General, but no one has yet given me the town near
                  or in
                  > which this village can be found. I'd very much like to stop at a real
                  Shaker
                  > community on the way to something more focal. > Ken

                  Ken, Shaker Village is in Pleasant Hill which is near Harrodsburg.
                  Just a short drive from either Lexington, Richmond, or Perryville.

                  JEJ

                • mobile_96
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006
                    < They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by
                    the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the lyrics?
                    Ken.>
                    And don't forget to visit Merchant's Row in Perryville.
                    Last I heard they were still working on turning as much of it as
                    possible into a Living History village. In '03 they were working on the
                    Dr's Office and home. A short distance north of town is Bragg's HQ.When
                    there last, the building had residents, but I understand they were in
                    the process of getting them out, so they could get it restored and
                    opened. You can also take the winding drive (off the main road just a
                    bit south of the house) down behind the house, to the location of the
                    only still operating spring in the area. The spring is not visited
                    often, as I have to get out and move branches from the road before
                    proceeding down.
                    There are a few soldiers, from the battle, buried in the town cemetery.
                    Even without the battle held nearby, the town has a interesting early
                    history.
                    Chuck
                  • gnrljejohnston
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006
                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "mobile_96" <mobile_96@...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@ wrote:
                      > < They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by
                      > the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the
                      lyrics?
                      > Ken.>
                      > And don't forget to visit Merchant's Row in Perryville.
                      > Last I heard they were still working on turning as much of it as
                      > possible into a Living History village. In '03 they were working on
                      the
                      > Dr's Office and home. A short distance north of town is Bragg's
                      HQ.When
                      > there last, the building had residents, but I understand they were
                      in
                      > the process of getting them out, so they could get it restored and
                      > opened. You can also take the winding drive (off the main road just
                      > bit south of the house) down behind the house, to the location of
                      the
                      > only still operating spring in the area. The spring is not visited
                      > often, as I have to get out and move branches from the road before
                      > proceeding down.
                      > There are a few soldiers, from the battle, buried in the town
                      cemetery.
                      > Even without the battle held nearby, the town has a interesting
                      early
                      > history.
                      > Chuck

                      Also, you can take the road West out of Perryville, go to the end and
                      turn right and it will loop back to the road you were on out of
                      Perryville, but heading East. This little loop is quite interesting
                      for there are several markers there, including where the first
                      encounter of Confederate troops with Sheridan's troops, thus
                      beginning the battle of Perryville. I believe I posted pix of this
                      area on the website.

                      JEJ

                    • pete@blueone.net
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 4, 2006
                        Shakertown is on Hwy 68 southwest of Lexington and northeast of Harrodsburg. From Lexington, look
                        for Hwy 68 (Harrodsburg Road) on the southwest side of the city.
                        If in Frankfort, take 127 south to Danville and then go northeast to Shakertown.
                        Signs to Perryville in Danville and Harrodsburg abound--you'll have no problem getting to P'ville
                        form either location.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 7, 2006
                          As posted earlier I may have found a copy of Chickamauga by Turchin that was owned by Rosecrans.  I looked thru the entire book and found only 4 pages where notes were made.  I just posted these scans onto the photo page on the group's homepage.  Its in a folder called "Pages from Chickamauga by Turchin"

                          The notes are pretty limited.  I didn't find anything that really confirmed that it was Rosy's book.  Online I found a place selling a letter of his which you can view at:
                          It appears to me that the handwriting is similar, but the two samples are small so a professional handwriting analyst probably couldn't say anything for sure.  But go ahead and look at the two samples and see what you think.  At first glance I'd say that the known letter doesn't destroy the possibility that the book was Rosy's.
                          --Nick