RE: [civilwarwest] Book Recommendation - Stealing the General

  • Bill Gower
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006

      History Book Club has a deal right now until December 1.  All books and they have a good selection of CW books are 9.99 and no payments dues until March 1.  www.historybookclub.com         Forgive the commercial, I get nothing from it, I am just a satisfied customer.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
        In a message dated 11/1/2006 8:00:15 AM Central Standard Time, billgower@... writes:

        History Book Club has a deal right now until December 1.  All books and they have a good selection of CW books are 9.99 and no payments dues until March 1.  http://www.historybookclub.com/         Forgive the commercial, I get nothing from it, I am just a satisfied customer.

        Thanks for the heads up. As a satisfied customer myself, I will be visiting them before signing off.
        Ken
      • russellsbonds
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
          Dear Bill, Ken, Bob, Tom and Steve:

          I'm the author of Stealing the General, and I recently discovered
          your group here. Thanks, Bill, for mentioning the book, and to all
          of you who have ordered it. Please post here or send me an e-mail at
          rbonds@... and let me know if you enjoy the book.

          I'm a lifelong Georgia resident--I grew up almost literally in the
          shadow of Kennesaw Mountain--and like all of you am a student of the
          war in the (still overlooked) West. Also, I'm considering a number
          of ideas for my next book topic. If any of you have a thought on a
          Civil War story, battle or character that deserves more attention or
          a new narrative treatment, please let me know.

          Thanks again; I look forward to participating in the group.

          Warmest regards,
          Russ Bonds

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@...>
          wrote:

          > Today I received in the mail, a newly published book
          entitled "Stealing the
          > General" by Russell S. Bonds. It's approximately 374 pages with
          lots of
          > footnotes. His goal is to tell the story of the soldiers who
          attempted to
          > steal the General and their fate. I hadn't realized this but many
          of the
          > men on this raid received the Medal of Honor, which was given for
          the first
          > time in U.S. History. James M. McPherson has this to say about the
          book,
          > "The Great Locomotive Chase has been the stuff of legend and the
          darling of
          > Hollywood. Now we have a solid history of the Andrews Raid.
          Russell S.
          > Bond's stirring account makes clear why the raid failed and what
          happened to
          > the raiders." My only background on this event is the 1952 Walt
          Disney
          > movie starring Fess Parker, so I am anxious to read the book and
          find out
          > more about this raid.
          >

          > Bill

        • Bill Gower
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006

            The only disappointing thing I have to say about the book is that because I know the outcome, I am trying to cheer the guys on and want them to get away but I know that it is futile.  It seems like what started out as a “well-thought” out plan is falling apart because of silly mistakes that are occurring after the locomotive is stolen.  I have enjoyed the background info that you have provided on cities, people and the railroad.  I am at the point where the conductor and his compatriots are riding the handcar and have just reached the locomotive sitting at the siding of the cut-off.  I think that one of the problems that I see happening is that Andrews and the others started becoming cocky and thinking that it was all over instead of causing more damage to the RR and trying to make better time.

            Bill

            rbonds@.... com and let me know if you enjoy the book.

          • basecat1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
              In a message dated 11/8/2006 9:41:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, jillandruss@... writes:
              Dear Bill, Ken, Bob, Tom and Steve:

              I'm the author of Stealing the General, and I recently discovered
              your group here. Thanks, Bill, for mentioning the book, and to all
              of you who have ordered it. Please post here or send me an e-mail at
              rbonds@.... com and let me know if you enjoy the book.

              I'm a lifelong Georgia resident--I grew up almost literally in the
              shadow of Kennesaw Mountain--and like all of you am a student of the
              war in the (still overlooked) West. Also, I'm considering a number
              of ideas for my next book topic. If any of you have a thought on a
              Civil War story, battle or character that deserves more attention or
              a new narrative treatment, please let me know.

              Thanks again; I look forward to participating in the group.

              Warmest regards,
              Russ Bonds

              Russ,

              Got my copy of the book last week, and I look forward to reading it.  If you are interested, we do have a CW chat room, and we do have book chats on CW books.  When a book is chosen, we "assign" homework, as in a few chapters to read each week for the discussion.  The topic of your book is quite a popular one for many who visit there, and am sure those involved would enjoy a chat on this event of the Civil War.

              If this is something you wish to participate in, please let me or my fellow moderator ks know, and we will schedule a discussion on the book accordingly.

              Best of luck with the book, and welcome aboard! :)

              Regards from the Garden State,

              Steve Basic
            • Tom Mix
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006

                Steve,

                Each December we have quite an excellent discussion of all areas of Civil War books especially for Christmas.  I have found many great recommendations during that time, and we are near there if it is again ok with our esteemed moderators this year.

                (my computer has been out for about a week but it is now back and healthy again)

                Tom

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 14, 2006
                  In a message dated 11/13/2006 9:54:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:

                  Steve,

                  Each December we have quite an excellent discussion of all areas of Civil War books especially for Christmas.  I have found many great recommendations during that time, and we are near there if it is again ok with our esteemed moderators this year.

                  (my computer has been out for about a week but it is now back and healthy again)

                  Tom

                  Tom,

                  They are great discussions, and always enjoy reading what books folks recommend etc. :)

                  Hope all is well.

                  Regards from the Garden State,

                  Steve Basic
                • James W. Durney
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 17, 2006
                    Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal
                    of Honor by Russell S. Bonds

                    Product Details
                    • Hardcover: 444 pages
                    • Publisher: Westholme Publishing (October 15, 2006)
                    • Language: English
                    • ISBN: 1594160333
                    A small failed raid in 1862 produced a long and complex history.
                    Along the way, this raid serves as the inspiration for two moves and
                    a number of books. "Stealing the General" is the latest addition to
                    that stack of books. Not having read the others, I cannot state
                    that it is the best but it has to be very close. Russell S. Bonds
                    tells a story that most of think we know. Along the way, he
                    corrects are misimpressions, fills in the blanks while adding story
                    lines we had no idea existed. All of this happens in the nicest,
                    most entertaining manner possible without once making us feel that
                    we do not know what is going on.

                    The book divides into four parts, The Plan, The Chase, Consequences
                    and Valor.

                    The Plan sets the stage detailing the reasons for the raid,
                    introducing the raiders and the hoped for results. Solid writing,
                    with attention to detail produces very real characters that the
                    reader can identify with and take a keen interest in. Brigadier
                    General Ormsby "Old Stars" Mitchell, one of the people that we know
                    nothing about, authorizes the raid. James Andrews, sometime spy,
                    sometime smuggler and possible Confederate agent is the author of
                    the plan and leader of the raid. The men volunteer from three Ohio
                    regiments, agreeing to slip behind enemy lines, destroy the railroad
                    cutting Chattanooga off from the Confederacy. That done, General
                    Mitchell's division will seize the city and the CSA's main East/West
                    railroad line. A strong point of this part is the author's
                    intelligent instruction on the contemporary mechanics of travel by
                    and view of railroads. Atlanta to Chattanooga is just under twelve
                    hours by train.

                    The Chase is what we have seen in the movies. It is the story of
                    taking of the train, the pursuit and capture of the raiders. The
                    book shows us the limitations of a 90-minute film and how little
                    history it contains. The Plan provided a good account of train
                    travel, allowing us to understand the chances both sides take and
                    the problems they encounter. This is a well-written history and
                    this is the most exciting part of the tale. The author takes the
                    time to correct misconceptions and lay the foundation for the legend
                    that follows. These side trips do not slow the on-rushing trains
                    but increase our understanding of the story to come.

                    The movies emphasize The Chase with a quick nod to Valor.
                    Consequences detail the imprisonment and military justice that the
                    raiders faced after capture. The conditions the raiders faced in
                    prison, the quality of their trails and the feelings of the people
                    are the backbone of this part of the book. The division between the
                    residents is graphically brought to light, as pro-Union and pro-
                    Confederate locals, vie to hang or help the raiders. A number of
                    the raiders are tried, commended and executed by hanging. Three of
                    the hangings are badly done, James Andrews' strangles while being
                    held off the ground. Twice a rope breaks and the men are hung a
                    second time. With the exception of Andrews, living or dieing seems
                    to be a matter of luck. Some raiders are tried, while others are
                    simply imprisoned. No logic seems to have been used to separate the
                    two groups. This part of the book is one of brutality and escapes
                    that compete with The Chase in daring. The escape and trek to
                    freedom of one group could be a stand-alone story. Those who did
                    not escape are exchanged after almost a year of captivity.

                    Valor begins with a short history of the Medal of Honor; these men
                    are the first to receive the medal. We follow the men on both sides
                    through the balance of their lives. We have hints along the way but
                    this part makes each player all the more real and human. Included
                    in this part is the birth of the legend and the in fighting between
                    the participants for the glory.

                    This is a well-balanced book, not about Union soldiers or
                    Confederates civilians but about "ordinary men, far from home,
                    called to do extraordinary things". This is the attraction of this
                    event and the reason we return to it so often. "Stealing the
                    General" is the story of these "ordinary men" and
                    that "extraordinary" event, well told, instructive and enjoyable.

                    This review is posted on Amazon.com. If you liked it, please take
                    the time to rate my review there. Thanks.

                    James