[civilwarwest] Chickamauga by Turchin

  • nickrelee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 31, 2006
      I just received Turchin's book on Chickamauga thru inter library loan.  Inside the front cover there is a typed note pasted that this copy originally belonged to General Rosecrans.  I flipped thru the book and in the margains there are places where someone has written "this is a mistake" and one note even says "our" lines.  What do you suppose are the odds that these notes are from Rosecrans or some prankster?  Anyone have a copy of Rosy's handwritting to base these notes against?  This might be an incredible find or a pretty involved prank.  Unfortunately the large foldout maps that originally accompanied the book are gone, I really wanted to make copies of those but I guess that's not gonna happen.  But if this was Rosy's copy then I'll definetly make copies of his notes.
      --Nick
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 31, 2006
        In a message dated 10/31/2006 9:20:26 PM Central Standard Time, nickrelee@... writes:
        But if this was Rosy's copy then I'll definetly make copies of his notes.
        Sounds like a really great what if. Spect you'll report back with your conclusions when you've gotten through it. I'm skeptical, but what if it it is? Waiting. I can only hold my breath for a little while.
        Ken
      • DPowell334@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 1, 2006
[...]

          That would be pretty amazing if it were. I don't have a lot of handwritten stuff from Rosey, but his papers are at UCLA. They could help, maybe.

          I once received a copy of Col. Hiram Devol's memoir (of the 36th Ohio) in the same manner, and low and behold, it once belonged to the regimental historian of the 36th, who similarly appended notes. He corroborated Devol's more controversial claims (specifically about JJ Reynolds losing his head at Chickamauga) and suggested alternate locations. The notes transformed it from a rare memoir to a unique primary source.

          Any chance you would be willing to share "Rosey's" notes with me? In return, I will see if I can track down the maps.

          Dave Powell
        • Kevin & Judy Coy
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 1, 2006
            I think you should share with all of us.   :)

            Kevin S. Coy

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 1, 2006
              My local library has a copy of Ohio at Shiloh, no big deal, but the previous owner was a vet of the battle and he wrote 2-3 pages of recollections, pretty neat.

              I guess I'll scan the pages and post them online so all can see.  From my first skim it doesn't appear that Rosey wrote much, just a few notes every so often, primarily on second day stuff.  Will take me a few days to get around to scanning as I just got back from a week+ of touring (Chattanooga, Chickamauga and Perryville).

              Now to check UCLA to see if I can get a handwritting sample.
              --Nick

            • SDE80@aol.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 1, 2006
                In a message dated 11/1/2006 3:25:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, nickrelee@... writes:

                Will take me a few days to get around to scanning as I just got back from a week+ of touring (Chattanooga, Chickamauga and Perryville).

                I can confirm Nick was at Chattanooga, as we were in a group that visited the Wauhatchie sites last week.

                Sam Elliott
              • nickrelee@aol.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 1, 2006
                  A great time that was.  I had never been on Tyndale Hill.  I had previously visited Smith Hill but had not ventured down that road to get the better view of Lookout Mtn.

                  And Perryville is a true gem, just hope we can preserve more before times runs out there too.  We have a head start there, just need to keep going.
                  --Nick

                  In a message dated 11/1/2006 3:57:31 PM Mountain Standard Time, SDE80@... writes:
                  I can confirm Nick was at Chattanooga, as we were in a group that visited the Wauhatchie sites last week.

                  Sam Elliott

                • hank9174
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                    It was 1984 when I last visited Perryville.

                    At that time there were perhaps 8 stops using a mimeographed, type-
                    written guide.

                    How is it now?

                    HankC

                  • keeno2@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                      In a message dated 11/2/2006 8:38:34 AM Central Standard Time, clarkc@... writes:
                      At that time there were perhaps 8 stops using a mimeographed, type-written guide.

                      How is it now?
                      Kentucky has put in a lot of effort since you were there, acquiring property, etc. It's very nice still improving daily. (I visited in '03.)
                      Ken
                    • bjer50010
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006

                        > In a message dated 11/2/2006 8:38:34 AM Central Standard Time,
                        > clarkc@... writes:
                        > At that time there were perhaps 8 stops using a mimeographed,
                        type-written
                        > guide.
                        >
                        > How is it now?
                        > Kentucky has put in a lot of effort since you were there, acquiring
                        property,
                        > etc. It's very nice still improving daily. (I visited in '03.)
                        > Ken

                        I'll second that. I was there towards the middle of June of this
                        year. I did post a couple of thoughts at the time but they appear to
                        have gotten lost in some of the strangeness occurring at that time.

                        As far as the battlefield goes, it is extremely well maintained. The
                        day I visited, there were several groundskeepers out and about, but
                        only a couple of other visitors. They have a map in the VC which
                        indicates the acquisitions of ground for the park. Amazing amount of
                        acquisition. They are now up to over 20 stops.

                        I was able to cover most of the field within about 2 hrs. of walking.
                        There are placards at each of the stops which are informative. I
                        also brought along the tour guide from the Perryville issue of Blue
                        and Grey.

                        I definitely recommend the park to anyone who is in the area.

                        JB Jewell
                      • keeno2@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                          In a message dated 11/2/2006 12:04:10 PM Central Standard Time, barry.jewell@... writes:
                          I definitely recommend the park to anyone who is in the area.
                          If your route allows, a stop at the museum and frontier village in Bardstown is also a definite worthwhile. An excellent museum.
                          Ken
                        • nickrelee@aol.com

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "bjer50010" <barry.jewell@...>
                              wrote:

                              > I'll second that. I was there towards the middle of June of this
                              > year. I did post a couple of thoughts at the time but they appear
                              > have gotten lost in some of the strangeness occurring at that time.
                              >
                              > As far as the battlefield goes, it is extremely well maintained.
                              The
                              > day I visited, there were several groundskeepers out and about, but
                              > only a couple of other visitors. They have a map in the VC which
                              > indicates the acquisitions of ground for the park. Amazing amount
                              of
                              > acquisition. They are now up to over 20 stops.
                              >
                              > I was able to cover most of the field within about 2 hrs. of
                              walking.
                              > There are placards at each of the stops which are informative. I
                              > also brought along the tour guide from the Perryville issue of Blue
                              > and Grey.
                              >
                              > I definitely recommend the park to anyone who is in the area.
                              >
                              > JB Jewell

                              While your that close to Richmond, KY (about twenty - thirty miles)
                              it would pay to visit the sites of the battle of Richmond. They have
                              a driving tour guide that can be obtained at the Chamber of Commerce.
                              Do pay a visit to the cemetery that is on the south edge of town were
                              the Confederate dead were buried. I believe I posted some photos of
                              that cemetery and the church that served as a hospital. Plus,
                              everything is free :-)

                              JEJ

                            • gnrljejohnston
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006

                                > In a message dated 11/2/2006 12:04:10 PM Central Standard Time,
                                > barry.jewell@... writes:
                                > I definitely recommend the park to anyone who is in the area.
                                > If your route allows, a stop at the museum and frontier village in
                                Bardstown
                                > is also a definite worthwhile. An excellent museum.
                                > Ken

                                Also nearby Shaker Village
                              • keeno2@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                                  In a message dated 11/2/2006 8:01:45 PM Central Standard Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
                                  Also nearby Shaker Village
                                  Of that I have know knowledge. Is it worth a stop in a pressed situation? With only so much time to cover thus and such an area? Where is it and what is its interest? Was unaware of a Shaker presence in the area. A strange group with strange ideas that guaranteed its demise -- much in the same vein as the King David group in Michigan. I'll definitely include it in the next trip that way if you'll recommend it.
                                  Ken

                                  Ken
                                • pete@blueone.net
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                                    If a lurker can throw in a comment, Shaker Village is very worthwhile. If you have time, eat a
                                    meal there and you'll enjoy food as never before--everything grown or raised on the site or a
                                    nearby farm. But to eat genly requires a reservation a few days in advance
                                    Pete Cohron
                                    Lexington, KY

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                                      In a message dated 11/2/2006 9:05:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
                                      While your that close to Richmond, KY (about twenty - thirty miles)
                                      it would pay to visit the sites of the battle of Richmond. They have
                                      a driving tour guide that can be obtained at the Chamber of Commerce.
                                      Do pay a visit to the cemetery that is on the south edge of town were
                                      the Confederate dead were buried. I believe I posted some photos of
                                      that cemetery and the church that served as a hospital. Plus,
                                      everything is free :-)

                                      JEJ
                                      General....after this years Perryville reenactment, myself and my messmate drove over to Richmond and took the driving tour of the Richmond battle.  It takes you all the way down to Big Hill and then you work your way back to Richmond.   Not a lot to see other than the church but the Battlefield Association has recently purchased more land and the beginnings of a park with a visitors center are there.   The potential for making another attraction like Perryville is obvious.  The cemetery was interesting as well.
                                             It appears that the state of KY and its areas have come to appreciate the benefits of tourists and their willingness to spend $ on things of historical interest.  Up the road from Richmond is also the recreated site of Boonsboro which was ok to tour.  The real gem here was that we learned about a recently accessed CW earthen fort over the river from Boonsboro.  If you are hearty enough to make the hike up to the top from the highway, it was worth the effort.

                                      Kent Dorr
                                    • gnrljejohnston
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006

                                        > In a message dated 11/2/2006 8:01:45 PM Central Standard Time,
                                        > GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
                                        > Also nearby Shaker Village
                                        > Of that I have know knowledge. Is it worth a stop in a pressed
                                        situation?
                                        > With only so much time to cover thus and such an area? Where is it
                                        and what is
                                        > its interest? Was unaware of a Shaker presence in the area. A
                                        strange group with
                                        > strange ideas that guaranteed its demise -- much in the same vein
                                        as the King
                                        > David group in Michigan. I'll definitely include it in the next
                                        trip that way
                                        > if you'll recommend it.
                                        > Ken
                                        >
                                        > Ken

                                        Ken,
                                        Shaker Village is surely worth a stop. The Shakers that were there
                                        following the Battles of Richmond and Perryville served as nurses,
                                        orderlies, and took wounded into their homes, both Union and
                                        Confederate. One of the gals that helps run it (I forgot her name,
                                        but she use to be "Host Orphan" in AOL's Mason Dixon Room) and is one
                                        of the best sources of battles in that area. She is the one that got
                                        the Perryville NPS Supt. give me a personal tour of the battlefield.

                                        JEJ
                                      • keeno2@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                                          In a message dated 11/2/2006 9:35:24 PM Central Standard Time, pete@... writes:
                                          If a lurker can throw in a comment, Shaker Village is very worthwhile.  If you have time, eat a meal there and you'll enjoy food as never before--everything grown or raised on the site or a nearby farm.  But to eat genly requires a reservation a few days in advance. Pete Cohron
                                          Excellent advice, honored lurker, but missing in your post is the location of this Shaker Village. Up this way we have the Amish. And if you want meat and pototoes to die for, slide over to one of their communities. I'm guessing the Amish and the Shakers have absolutely nothing in common except for a bottom-line appreciation for good food and plenty of it. We're certainly not going to find a dish of tossed greens lightly sprinkled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil with a scattering of garlic-touched croutons.

                                          Will note your response and mark my calendar with indelible ink. Thanks in advance,
                                          Ken.
                                        • keeno2@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                                            In a message dated 11/2/2006 9:51:23 PM Central Standard Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
                                            She is the one that got the Perryville NPS Supt. give me a personal tour of the battlefield.
                                            Thank you evermuch General, but no one has yet given me the town near or in which this village can be found. I'd very much like to stop at a real Shaker community on the way to something more focal. It would be a curiousity like the Oneida Community or the Amana Colonies or the Amish communities that dot the sweeping farmland of the great plains. (I recall some Hutterites somewhere north of where I grew up.) Of some historical but little personal interest. A blip in the road. These people were a thread in the tapesty. Good, decent, God-fearing. (Hate that word: God-fearing.) But a fundamental piece of the republic. "You can do as you wish, believe what you want, worship as you will, and if you can bring up a wagon of shelled corn, we will buy it." God bless America.
                                            OK. I'm waxing stupid.'
                                            Ken
                                          • keeno2@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                                              Mr. Dorr. Respect, sir. Kentucky seems to have figured out that it wasn't going to get federal recognition and simply set out on its own to preserve the sites. So it may have been with a left-eye toward tourist revenue, its lean toward CW sites deserves kudos. They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the lyrics?
                                              Ken
                                            • gnrljejohnston
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006

                                                > Excellent advice, honored lurker, but missing in your post is the
                                                location of this Shaker Village. Ken.

                                                Ken, Shaker Village is in Pleasant Hill which is close to Bardstown.

                                                Go to the URL for accurate info. www.shakervillageky.org/

                                                JEJ

                                              • gnrljejohnston
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006

                                                  > Thank you evermuch General, but no one has yet given me the town near
                                                  or in
                                                  > which this village can be found. I'd very much like to stop at a real
                                                  Shaker
                                                  > community on the way to something more focal. > Ken

                                                  Ken, Shaker Village is in Pleasant Hill which is near Harrodsburg.
                                                  Just a short drive from either Lexington, Richmond, or Perryville.

                                                  JEJ

                                                • mobile_96
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006
                                                    < They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by
                                                    the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the lyrics?
                                                    Ken.>
                                                    And don't forget to visit Merchant's Row in Perryville.
                                                    Last I heard they were still working on turning as much of it as
                                                    possible into a Living History village. In '03 they were working on the
                                                    Dr's Office and home. A short distance north of town is Bragg's HQ.When
                                                    there last, the building had residents, but I understand they were in
                                                    the process of getting them out, so they could get it restored and
                                                    opened. You can also take the winding drive (off the main road just a
                                                    bit south of the house) down behind the house, to the location of the
                                                    only still operating spring in the area. The spring is not visited
                                                    often, as I have to get out and move branches from the road before
                                                    proceeding down.
                                                    There are a few soldiers, from the battle, buried in the town cemetery.
                                                    Even without the battle held nearby, the town has a interesting early
                                                    history.
                                                    Chuck
                                                  • gnrljejohnston
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Nov 3, 2006
                                                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "mobile_96" <mobile_96@...>
                                                      wrote:

                                                      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@ wrote:
                                                      > < They've done a fantastic job on sites ignored by
                                                      > the NPS. Bless Kentucky! Does "God Bless Kentucky" fit in the
                                                      lyrics?
                                                      > Ken.>
                                                      > And don't forget to visit Merchant's Row in Perryville.
                                                      > Last I heard they were still working on turning as much of it as
                                                      > possible into a Living History village. In '03 they were working on
                                                      the
                                                      > Dr's Office and home. A short distance north of town is Bragg's
                                                      HQ.When
                                                      > there last, the building had residents, but I understand they were
                                                      in
                                                      > the process of getting them out, so they could get it restored and
                                                      > opened. You can also take the winding drive (off the main road just
                                                      > bit south of the house) down behind the house, to the location of
                                                      the
                                                      > only still operating spring in the area. The spring is not visited
                                                      > often, as I have to get out and move branches from the road before
                                                      > proceeding down.
                                                      > There are a few soldiers, from the battle, buried in the town
                                                      cemetery.
                                                      > Even without the battle held nearby, the town has a interesting
                                                      early
                                                      > history.
                                                      > Chuck

                                                      Also, you can take the road West out of Perryville, go to the end and
                                                      turn right and it will loop back to the road you were on out of
                                                      Perryville, but heading East. This little loop is quite interesting
                                                      for there are several markers there, including where the first
                                                      encounter of Confederate troops with Sheridan's troops, thus
                                                      beginning the battle of Perryville. I believe I posted pix of this
                                                      area on the website.

                                                      JEJ

                                                    • pete@blueone.net
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Nov 4, 2006
                                                        Shakertown is on Hwy 68 southwest of Lexington and northeast of Harrodsburg. From Lexington, look
                                                        for Hwy 68 (Harrodsburg Road) on the southwest side of the city.
                                                        If in Frankfort, take 127 south to Danville and then go northeast to Shakertown.
                                                        Signs to Perryville in Danville and Harrodsburg abound--you'll have no problem getting to P'ville
                                                        form either location.

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Nov 7, 2006
                                                          As posted earlier I may have found a copy of Chickamauga by Turchin that was owned by Rosecrans.  I looked thru the entire book and found only 4 pages where notes were made.  I just posted these scans onto the photo page on the group's homepage.  Its in a folder called "Pages from Chickamauga by Turchin"

                                                          The notes are pretty limited.  I didn't find anything that really confirmed that it was Rosy's book.  Online I found a place selling a letter of his which you can view at:
                                                          It appears to me that the handwriting is similar, but the two samples are small so a professional handwriting analyst probably couldn't say anything for sure.  But go ahead and look at the two samples and see what you think.  At first glance I'd say that the known letter doesn't destroy the possibility that the book was Rosy's.
                                                          --Nick