Re: Size of the Confederate Army

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2006
      Bob Huddleston writes:

      More importantly, any territory that the Yankee Army occupied became
      ipso facto
      free territory: long before the Emancipation Proclamation, and long
      before the
      Union leadership recognized it, and long before most of the soldier
      in blue
      realized it, the United States Army carried Freedom in its baggage.
      The rank
      and file quickly learned that blacks were the only friends they had
      and began
      protecting runaway slaves. Ben Butler started the process with
      his "contraband"
      proclamation, but across the war fronts other Yankees were
      protecting slaves and
      hiding them from both the local authorities and their own officers.

      Thank you Bob

      I had begun to think that I had overreached a bit on the Union
      furnishing weapons, except when they actually formed bonafied
      military units. I have neither heard nor read of the Union
      supplying or encouraging ad hoc uprisings.

      Your analysis makes it much more clear that the Fabian tactics that
      many recommend would not have worked very well. Yes, the South
      could conceivably regain lost territory but they could not regain
      the slaves that made that land profitable. George Washington was
      not presented with this problem.

      Bill Bruner