Re: Battle of Raymond Wiki (again)

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

      > In the chapter on Raymond, Smith has 44 footnotes. 3 refer to Bearss
      > exclusively. 15 cite Bearss in combination with one or more other
      works.
      > Also used in this chapter are the ORs, of course; Grant; a crapload
      of MSS
      > collections; Ballard's Pemberton book a couple of times; Winschel
      once; a
      > few regimental histories. But iot seems the most often cited sources
      are
      > letters and unpublished material.

      The section on the fighting at Raymond begins with footnote #15 and
      ends with footnote #39, or 24 footnotes, 5 of which are biographical
      references. Of the remaining 19, 11 utilize Bearss at least partially.

      But counting footnotes doesn't really tell the entire story. Most of
      Smith's conclusions seem to be drawn from Bearss, an assertion that I
      believe was backed up by an email exchange between Smith and William
      Keene if I recall correctly.