Re: California soldiers ?

  • Jeff Brown
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 19, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Paulette" <pbrown772@...>
      wrote:

      > That would be great Jeff. He was from Independence, CA and is
      > buried at Big Pine cemetary. His tombstone says: Corpor'l Alonzo
      > McKillip Co.B 5th Cal Inf
      > He must of been quite an awesome guy. In 1861 he was a Pony
      Express
      > rider in Placerville.
      >
      > Paulette
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Brown"
      > <berkelyzephyr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Paulette" <pbrown772@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have a great,great,great uncle, Alonzo McKellips, that
      served
      > > with
      > > > that 5th Regiment California infantry, B company.
      > > >
      > > > Paulette
      > > >

      > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene"

      > General
      > > > California
      > retaking
      Mexico
      > > > seize

      > > Indians
      > > > in
      > > > Shoshonens,

      > > <berkelyzephyr@>

      > way
      > > > out
      > war
      > > as
      > > > far
      > Head
      > > > better
      > he
      > > > really
      powder
      > > dry,
      > > > > >

      > > > Thanks Paulette. I'm going to the archives in S.F. this
      weekend.
      > > I'll see if I can find any info on him and the fifth. Anyone
      else
      > > want to embarrass me further? I was not expecting such a great
      > > response. Great group!
      > > Thanks again
      > > Jeff Brown
      > >
      > Good morning campers!
      I have up virtually all night trying to redeem my honor. Thank
      goodness I'm off work today! Got into some various Ca. military
      websites. I have a nasty feeling none of this will be new to most of
      you. If I'm imparting known info please bear with me.
      Here are a few tidbits:
      There we 17,000 volunteers that served from Ca. in the Union Army.
      both Chet and Bill were accurate as to where they served.(Like thats
      a surprise!)
      California had the highest volunteer rate per capita of any state in
      the union!
      By wars end Ca. volunteers in the west occupied more territory than
      the armies in the east.
      Were any of you aware that General Albert Sydney Johnson at one time
      commanded at Fort Point at the mouth of the San Fransisco Bay? He
      also was responsible for improving the defenses of a future Union
      prison...
      Alcatraz Island.
      California volunteers also served in Arizona,New Mexico,Texas,Utah,
      Nevada,Idaho,Oregon,Washington,and(whew!)Wyoming.
      Bakers California Brigade (1rst California), filled out with
      volunteers from Philadelphia (this explains why I'm an Eagles Fan!),
      fought in 17 major battles and campaigns including Bull Run,
      Antietam, and Fredricksburg.
      The only discrepancy I could find was that Carelton is referred to
      as a colonel not a general. For some reason I believe Bills info
      more than the websites in this case.
      o.k., o.k. enough! Please check the website www.militarymuseum.org
      for a more complete info.
      Hope everyone has a great day,