Re: Battles of Jackson Ms.

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 18, 2006
      Thank you, Keith, I had been operating under the false assumption
      that when the Union captured Jackson in May, before Vicksburg, that
      it had remained in their possession.

      Bill Bruner

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Keith Giordano <keg032461@...>
      wrote:

      > Bill
      > The Union army actually captured Jackson three times. Once on the
      way to Vicksburg (May 1863) then immediately after the fall of
      Vicksburg (the seige July 1863) and last during Sherman's Meridain
      expedition (Feb. 1864)

      Jackson
      > > with an army sized force. This expedition was relatively larger
      > than
      > > the first battle of Jackson but there was not a well defined
      > battle,
      > > rather a series of seige operations ending in the Confederates
      > > evacuating and retreating eastward.
      > >

      > > --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "Bill Bruner"
      <banbruner@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Please, can anyone help me, there seems to have been two
      battles
      > for
      > > > Jackson Ms. (not be confused with Jackson Tn.): one before
      > > Vicksburg
      > > > and one after. The one after I have found referenced as the
      > siege
      > > of
      > > > Jackson. But I can only find a description of the May 14
      battle
      > in
      > > the
      > > > CWSAC Battle Summaries (which I heavily rely on). Did the
      Conf.