Re: Army of the Cumberland

  • Mark Schmidt
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 17, 2006
      I am not sure why either but do now from being in the Navy that they always stay away from long names of units.
      It is just easier in combat to say numbers and easier to understand when giving orders. Less chance of mistakes.
      Plus with the Corps system things were kept to a certain size. SO if you had 2 Corps there, you knew how many men even if you did not know really how many men were in them. In the old system, One are could have 100,000 and another 20,000. Just just having names you would not know how many men there might be there. You would waste and people running around trying to find out.
      If you are back in Washington. You know that Grant has 5 Corps (with little action) and Roscrans has 2 Corps is fully engaged. You could right away order Grant to sent help without having to contact all your armies to find out who has men they can spare.