Re: Corps Trivia Question I I

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@... wrote:

      > Do you mean as a corps commander or as having the most corps under
      his
      > control during his service. If its the first I dont know off hand,
      if its the
      > other it'd almost have to be Grant.
      > --Nick
      >
      > In a message dated 10/10/2006 5:48:12 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
      > banbruner@... writes:
      >
      > What General commanded the most (different) Corps. (what is the
      proper
      > plural for Corps)

    • gnrljejohnston
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2006
        I'm still wondering about the proper plural
        > of Corps.
        >
        > Bill Bruner

        I believe that either singular or plural, it is proper to use Corps.
        But then as a good friend use to say, "and then too I could be wrong."

        JEJ
      • Bill Bruner
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2006
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "gnrljejohnston"
          <GnrlJEJohnston@...> wrote:

          > I'm still wondering about the proper plural
          > > of Corps.
          > >
          > > Bill Bruner
          >
          > I believe that either singular or plural, it is proper to use
          Corps.
          > But then as a good friend use to say, "and then too I could be
          wrong."

          > JEJ

          I remember reading many of that good friend's posts and I always
          believed that after "and then I could be wrong" he hit the send button
          and said under his breath "but probably not"

          Bill Bruner
        • Bill Bruner
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>
            wrote:

            > What General commanded the most (different) Corps. (what is the
            proper
            > plural for Corps)
            >
            > Bill Bruner

            This General Commanded six different Corps, a major Army, and a grand
            division.
          • nickrelee@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
              Burnside?
              --Nick

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
                wrote:

                > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > What General commanded the most (different) Corps. (what is the
                > proper
                > > plural for Corps)
                > >
                > > Bill Bruner
                >

                > This General Commanded six different Corps, a major Army, and a
                grand
                > division.

                He seems to have had trouble keeping a job.

                Bill Bruner
              • William H Keene
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2006
                  My guess would be Hooker except that I can't think of 6 different
                  corps that he commanded. I can only think of 3: 1st, 5th and 20th.

                  wrote:

                  > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > What General commanded the most (different) Corps. (what is the
                  > proper
                  > > plural for Corps)
                  > >
                  > > Bill Bruner
                  >

                  > This General Commanded six different Corps, a major Army, and a
                  grand
                  > division.
                • Bill Bruner
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2006
                    Hooker is correct. He commanded the Corps you listed and he also had
                    command of the XI and XII before they were consolidated into the XX.

                    Bill Bruner