Skip to search.

Corps Trivia Question I I

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2006
      What General commanded the most (different) Corps. (what is the proper
      plural for Corps)

      Bill Bruner
    • nickrelee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2006
        Do you mean as a corps commander or as having the most corps under his control during his service.  If its the first I dont know off hand, if its the other it'd almost have to be Grant.
        --Nick

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2006
          Sorry, Nick, I meant the first. Otherwise Grant would be a slam
          dunk: he had control over every Corps and every platoon in the
          Union army. I'm talking about the guy who actually commanded the
          most different Corps. I'm still wondering about the proper plural
          of Corps.

          Bill Bruner

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@... wrote:

          > Do you mean as a corps commander or as having the most corps under
          his
          > control during his service. If its the first I dont know off
          hand, if its the
          > other it'd almost have to be Grant.
          > --Nick
          >
          > In a message dated 10/10/2006 5:48:12 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
          > banbruner@... writes:
          >
          > What General commanded the most (different) Corps. (what is the
          proper
          > plural for Corps)

        • Bill Bruner
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2006
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@... wrote:

            > Do you mean as a corps commander or as having the most corps under
            his
            > control during his service. If its the first I dont know off hand,
            if its the
            > other it'd almost have to be Grant.
            > --Nick
            >
            > In a message dated 10/10/2006 5:48:12 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
            > banbruner@... writes:
            >
            > What General commanded the most (different) Corps. (what is the
            proper
            > plural for Corps)

          • gnrljejohnston
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 10, 2006
              I'm still wondering about the proper plural
              > of Corps.
              >
              > Bill Bruner

              I believe that either singular or plural, it is proper to use Corps.
              But then as a good friend use to say, "and then too I could be wrong."

              JEJ
            • Bill Bruner
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 10, 2006
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "gnrljejohnston"
                <GnrlJEJohnston@...> wrote:

                > I'm still wondering about the proper plural
                > > of Corps.
                > >
                > > Bill Bruner
                >
                > I believe that either singular or plural, it is proper to use
                Corps.
                > But then as a good friend use to say, "and then too I could be
                wrong."

                > JEJ

                I remember reading many of that good friend's posts and I always
                believed that after "and then I could be wrong" he hit the send button
                and said under his breath "but probably not"

                Bill Bruner
              • Bill Bruner
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>
                  wrote:

                  > What General commanded the most (different) Corps. (what is the
                  proper
                  > plural for Corps)
                  >
                  > Bill Bruner

                  This General Commanded six different Corps, a major Army, and a grand
                  division.
                • nickrelee@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
                    Burnside?
                    --Nick

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
                      wrote:

                      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > What General commanded the most (different) Corps. (what is the
                      > proper
                      > > plural for Corps)
                      > >
                      > > Bill Bruner
                      >

                      > This General Commanded six different Corps, a major Army, and a
                      grand
                      > division.

                      He seems to have had trouble keeping a job.

                      Bill Bruner
                    • William H Keene
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 12, 2006
                        My guess would be Hooker except that I can't think of 6 different
                        corps that he commanded. I can only think of 3: 1st, 5th and 20th.

                        wrote:

                        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > What General commanded the most (different) Corps. (what is the
                        > proper
                        > > plural for Corps)
                        > >
                        > > Bill Bruner
                        >

                        > This General Commanded six different Corps, a major Army, and a
                        grand
                        > division.
                      • Bill Bruner
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 12, 2006
                          Hooker is correct. He commanded the Corps you listed and he also had
                          command of the XI and XII before they were consolidated into the XX.

                          Bill Bruner