Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Braxton Bragg

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 64 , Oct 9, 2006
      Bragg was no genius, but he certainly wasn't a fool either. He conducted a few operations considered by many to be brilliant, and he made some boneheaded moves as well. From my observations, he had two major shortcomings that kept him out of the ranks of really good: (1) his quarrelsome nature -- note that successful generals did not tolerate quarrels among their subordinates; (2) his apparent inability to adjust battlefield plans when things didn't go as he expected which, as we all know, never do.

      Other than that, Bragg was personally indomitable; his troops were well-trained, -supplied, and -disciplined; and he managed his army's movements with skill, imagination, and daring. His unfortunate ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory has led history to treat him unkindly when it should have recognized him as the best of the western CS commanders wirh a huge monkey named Jefferson on his back.
      Ken
    • rbaquero@netzero.net
      Message 64 of 64 , Oct 30, 2006

         To compare Braxton with Thomas is impossible, StoneWall was one of the BEST Generals and officers in the Confederate Army in all ways ! .." Jackson lost his left arm but I lost my Right one "...Gen Robert Lee