Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Chickamauga

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 109 , Oct 4, 2006
      In a message dated 10/3/2006 10:55:45 A.M. Central Standard Time, clarkc@... writes:

      Any idea how similar, or not, Wilder's brigade drills were to
      infantry and cavalry units?

      Did they learn the evolutions of the mounted arm, merely how to ride
      or something in between?

      HankC

      They learned how to ride, and they learned the basics of mounted manuever. I have never seen evidence that they learned combat drills like charging, etc. They could go into line, dismount forward, etc.

      On the ground, they fought mostly in a single rank, kind of like a modified skirmisher drill. It is one reason their losses were much lighter than regularly formed infantry, but they could only do this due to the increased firepower.

      Dave Powell
    • Laurence D. Schiller
      Message 109 of 109 , Oct 5, 2006
        Hello Hank - as far as I know, they were not drilled as cavalry -
        they did not practice the evolutions of cavalry and I have not seen
        anywhere where they used their horses as anything but transport.
        Dismounted cavalry and infantry skirmish lines are pretty much the
        same, so Wilder's men fought in that fashion, although they had
        originally been drilled as regular infantry.

        Best,

        Laurie Schiller

        --
        Dr. Laurence D. Schiller