Re: Chickamauga

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 109 , Oct 3 8:44 AM
      Any idea how similar, or not, Wilder's brigade drills were to
      infantry and cavalry units?

      Did they learn the evolutions of the mounted arm, merely how to ride
      or something in between?

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence D. Schiller"
      <LDS307@...> wrote:

      > Hi Bill - please call me Laurie - no need for titles, please.
      Wilder
      > very often, in the Atlanta campaign, cooperated with cavalry, but
      > they were mounted infantry because when they fought, they fought
      only
      > on the ground. Cavalry in the ACW, usually were dragoons - i.e.
      they

      40yahoogroups.com>civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com,
      > >"Laurence D. Schiller"
      > ><LDS307@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Greetings Nick - actually the Federal Cavalry performed quite
      well
      > >> (and Wilder's mounted infantry). Minty at Reeds Bridge and
      Wilder
      > >at
      > >> Alexanders (and then Long and Wilder later) did excellent work
      in
      > >> holding up the right wing of Braggs attempt to flank Rosencrans
      on
      > >> the 19th.
      > >>
      > >> Best,
      > >>
      > >> Laurie Schiller

      > >don't
      Bragg

      > >Sept

      > >> --
      > >> Dr. Laurence D. Schiller
      > >>

      > --
      > Dr. Laurence D. Schiller

    • Laurence D. Schiller
      Message 109 of 109 , Oct 5 8:11 PM
        Hello Hank - as far as I know, they were not drilled as cavalry -
        they did not practice the evolutions of cavalry and I have not seen
        anywhere where they used their horses as anything but transport.
        Dismounted cavalry and infantry skirmish lines are pretty much the
        same, so Wilder's men fought in that fashion, although they had
        originally been drilled as regular infantry.

        Best,

        Laurie Schiller

        --
        Dr. Laurence D. Schiller