Re: They're baaaaack

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
      Your efforts appreciated as well, sir.
      Do you have any links in particular you'd recommend there?

      > Since we are on the subject of links this would be a good time to
      remind
      > folks that for some months now I have been maintaining what used to
      be the
      > LSU's Civil War Center Link Index.
    • Steve Saultz
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
                 Hi Carl....
                       I wonder why they didn't include or don't have; Wilsons Creek or Pea Ridge??  Again Thankya!
                Capt McCracken..........

        Carl Williams <carlw4514@...> wrote:
        you are welcome.
        Railroad map of confederacy just helped settle an issue for me with
        someone.

        Don't know about anyone else but as a project I plan to save these
        maps and store them somewhere safe [not just my C-drive!] in case they
        go bye-bye again.

      • Bill Bruner
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
          As far as RR maps go, I don't think we can improve on
          www.csa-railroads.com. It is very complete, detailed, and very
          navigable.

          Bill Bruner

          > you are welcome.
          > Railroad map of confederacy just helped settle an issue for me with
          > someone.
          >
          > Don't know about anyone else but as a project I plan to save these
          > maps and store them somewhere safe [not just my C-drive!] in case
          they
          > go bye-bye again.

        • Carl Williams
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
            I kinda wonder if someone is working on some of these... seems to be
            more there than before

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Steve Saultz <tristan4th@...> wrote:

            > Hi Carl....
            > I wonder why they didn't include or don't have;
            Wilsons Creek or Pea Ridge?? Again Thankya!
            > Capt McCracken..........

          • Carl Williams
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
              OK, this is getting added in the maps folder! Thanks!

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...> wrote:

              > As far as RR maps go, I don't think we can improve on
              > www.csa-railroads.com. It is very complete, detailed, and very
              > navigable.
              >
              > Bill Bruner
            • Dick Weeks
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
                Carl, to be very honest I haven't looked in depth at most of the links on
                that portion of my website. Generally when I am answering questions from my
                website I just refer to my library and seldom use the Internet. On this
                page of my website when I link a site I don't really look at that site other
                than to make sure it is Civil War related and that it is on the right page
                for the category I selected. Then I just link it. Now on the other link
                section of my website I do look at the site before I link it. Also on that
                page a webmaster has to request to be linked. On that section I won't put a
                site up that is just hard over in one direction or the other and just
                contains data to support that point of view. There are just too many of the
                "Lost Cause" type sites up there where the information is borderline
                truthful at best, and just a flat lie at worst. On the LSU portion I just
                link a site when I find it and let the reader be the judge. Also I have a
                mailbox set up so that those that want their site linked to page can email
                me. That way I have the LSU portion relatively isolated from the main
                portion of my site other than the link to get to it. You can really tell
                when you visit my site but the LSU portion is actually a subweb to my main
                site. I thought it would be just too hard to manage to fully integrate it.

                Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                http://www.civilwarhome.com