Re: [civilwarwest] They're baaaaack

  • Steve Saultz
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2006
               Thankyou Carl!!!!  Much needed here! Much appreciated!
                         Respectfully Your Humble Servant,
                        Capt. McCracken...............

      Carl Williams <carlw4514@...> wrote:
      the West Point Civil War Maps are available again, after disappearing
      for a while. I've put the link back in the "maps" folder in our
      "Links" section. There really is nothing else quite like them.

      Carl

    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
        you are welcome.
        Railroad map of confederacy just helped settle an issue for me with
        someone.

        Don't know about anyone else but as a project I plan to save these
        maps and store them somewhere safe [not just my C-drive!] in case they
        go bye-bye again.
      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
          Your efforts appreciated as well, sir.
          Do you have any links in particular you'd recommend there?

          > Since we are on the subject of links this would be a good time to
          remind
          > folks that for some months now I have been maintaining what used to
          be the
          > LSU's Civil War Center Link Index.
        • Steve Saultz

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
              As far as RR maps go, I don't think we can improve on
              www.csa-railroads.com. It is very complete, detailed, and very
              navigable.

              Bill Bruner

              > you are welcome.
              > Railroad map of confederacy just helped settle an issue for me with
              > someone.
              >
              > Don't know about anyone else but as a project I plan to save these
              > maps and store them somewhere safe [not just my C-drive!] in case
              they
              > go bye-bye again.

            • Carl Williams
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
                I kinda wonder if someone is working on some of these... seems to be
                more there than before

                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Steve Saultz <tristan4th@...> wrote:

                > Hi Carl....
                > I wonder why they didn't include or don't have;
                Wilsons Creek or Pea Ridge?? Again Thankya!
                > Capt McCracken..........

              • Carl Williams
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
                  OK, this is getting added in the maps folder! Thanks!

                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...> wrote:

                  > As far as RR maps go, I don't think we can improve on
                  > www.csa-railroads.com. It is very complete, detailed, and very
                  > navigable.
                  >
                  > Bill Bruner
                • Dick Weeks
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
                    Carl, to be very honest I haven't looked in depth at most of the links on
                    that portion of my website. Generally when I am answering questions from my
                    website I just refer to my library and seldom use the Internet. On this
                    page of my website when I link a site I don't really look at that site other
                    than to make sure it is Civil War related and that it is on the right page
                    for the category I selected. Then I just link it. Now on the other link
                    section of my website I do look at the site before I link it. Also on that
                    page a webmaster has to request to be linked. On that section I won't put a
                    site up that is just hard over in one direction or the other and just
                    contains data to support that point of view. There are just too many of the
                    "Lost Cause" type sites up there where the information is borderline
                    truthful at best, and just a flat lie at worst. On the LSU portion I just
                    link a site when I find it and let the reader be the judge. Also I have a
                    mailbox set up so that those that want their site linked to page can email
                    me. That way I have the LSU portion relatively isolated from the main
                    portion of my site other than the link to get to it. You can really tell
                    when you visit my site but the LSU portion is actually a subweb to my main
                    site. I thought it would be just too hard to manage to fully integrate it.

                    Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                    http://www.civilwarhome.com