They're baaaaack

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2006
      the West Point Civil War Maps are available again, after disappearing
      for a while. I've put the link back in the "maps" folder in our
      "Links" section. There really is nothing else quite like them.

      Carl
    • Dick Weeks
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 2006
        Thanks Carl. To be honest I didn't realize that they had not been available
        but I am sure others appreciate knowing about the link being active again.

        Since we are on the subject of links this would be a good time to remind
        folks that for some months now I have been maintaining what used to be the
        LSU's Civil War Center Link Index. As you might remember, when I took it
        over I went in and cleaned out the dead links and started adding new ones.
        I finally leveled out at about 10,000. However, I haven't looked at it in
        about a month now so there may be a few dead ones there that I haven't
        purged yet. Since there are so many of them it takes a couple of hours for
        my "hyperlink verification" program to run and even at that I don't entirely
        trust it so I go in and check the ones that it identifies as bad just to
        make sure.

        Anyway, for those of you that might not be as lucky as some of us are and
        don't have a decent library, this link site is a good place to start for
        looking up Civil War material available on the Internet. I think I have it
        pretty well indexed now so it is fairly easy to move around in.

        http://www.civilwarhome.com/indexcivilwarinfo.htm

        Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
        http://www.civilwarhome.com

        > the West Point Civil War Maps are available again, after disappearing
        > for a while. I've put the link back in the "maps" folder in our
        > "Links" section. There really is nothing else quite like them.
        >

        > Carl
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bill Bruner
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2006
          Wow! What a great asset. I really appreciate your effort.

          Bill Bruner

          > the West Point Civil War Maps are available again, after disappearing
          > for a while. I've put the link back in the "maps" folder in our
          > "Links" section. There really is nothing else quite like them.
          >

          > Carl

        • Steve Saultz
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2006
                     Thankyou Carl!!!!  Much needed here! Much appreciated!
                               Respectfully Your Humble Servant,
                              Capt. McCracken...............

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
              you are welcome.
              Railroad map of confederacy just helped settle an issue for me with
              someone.

              Don't know about anyone else but as a project I plan to save these
              maps and store them somewhere safe [not just my C-drive!] in case they
              go bye-bye again.
            • Carl Williams
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
                Your efforts appreciated as well, sir.
                Do you have any links in particular you'd recommend there?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
                    As far as RR maps go, I don't think we can improve on
                    www.csa-railroads.com. It is very complete, detailed, and very
                    navigable.

                    Bill Bruner

                    > you are welcome.
                    > Railroad map of confederacy just helped settle an issue for me with
                    > someone.
                    >
                    > Don't know about anyone else but as a project I plan to save these
                    > maps and store them somewhere safe [not just my C-drive!] in case
                    they
                    > go bye-bye again.

                  • Carl Williams
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
                      I kinda wonder if someone is working on some of these... seems to be
                      more there than before

                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Steve Saultz <tristan4th@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Carl....
                      > I wonder why they didn't include or don't have;
                      Wilsons Creek or Pea Ridge?? Again Thankya!
                      > Capt McCracken..........

                    • Carl Williams
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
                        OK, this is getting added in the maps folder! Thanks!

                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...> wrote:

                        > As far as RR maps go, I don't think we can improve on
                        > www.csa-railroads.com. It is very complete, detailed, and very
                        > navigable.
                        >
                        > Bill Bruner
                      • Dick Weeks
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
                          Carl, to be very honest I haven't looked in depth at most of the links on
                          that portion of my website. Generally when I am answering questions from my
                          website I just refer to my library and seldom use the Internet. On this
                          page of my website when I link a site I don't really look at that site other
                          than to make sure it is Civil War related and that it is on the right page
                          for the category I selected. Then I just link it. Now on the other link
                          section of my website I do look at the site before I link it. Also on that
                          page a webmaster has to request to be linked. On that section I won't put a
                          site up that is just hard over in one direction or the other and just
                          contains data to support that point of view. There are just too many of the
                          "Lost Cause" type sites up there where the information is borderline
                          truthful at best, and just a flat lie at worst. On the LSU portion I just
                          link a site when I find it and let the reader be the judge. Also I have a
                          mailbox set up so that those that want their site linked to page can email
                          me. That way I have the LSU portion relatively isolated from the main
                          portion of my site other than the link to get to it. You can really tell
                          when you visit my site but the LSU portion is actually a subweb to my main
                          site. I thought it would be just too hard to manage to fully integrate it.

                          Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                          http://www.civilwarhome.com