Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Granny Lyons??

  • Steve Saultz
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 21, 2006
              Good gracious! One would think huh?  LMAO....Thankyou!

      nickrelee@... wrote:
      If Lyon could impersonate Blair's blind mother in law, does that mean that she was a rather unattractive old lady?
      --Nick

      In a message dated 9/20/2006 4:18:53 PM Mountain Daylight Time, carlw4514@yahoo. com writes:
      according to Brooksher in BLOODY HILL, someone figured out Lyon could
      impersonate a known elderly woman who went about in a carriage wearing
      a veil and never spoke but simply waved. Indeed, it was Blair's blind
      mother-in-law. Quite convenient.

    • nickrelee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 21, 2006
        Nah I wasn't expecting an answer, more a rhetorical question.  My guess is that its one of those stories that was started because if Lyons (or whoever told it first) had told the truth it would have revealed a source that they didn't want know publicly.  Don't "out" a spy at the beginning of the war, wait for your memoirs to reveal all, and if you don't live to write memoirs then the myth becomes the only version.
        --Nick

        In a message dated 9/21/2006 4:33:24 PM Mountain Daylight Time, carlw4514@... writes:
        I can't tell if you're expecting an answer or not. The old lady was
        blind and probably ugly, yeah. The story is she wore a veil etc. So it
        was easy to impersonate such a person, supposedly. Like I say, you've
        got me wondering, all right, about the whole thing.

      • Dave Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
          Chris Phillips, now at the University of Cincinnati and author of a bio
          on Lyon, holds that it was indeed Lyon who made the reconnaisance.

          He confirmed the story at a presentation he made on Lyons at our Round
          Table.

          The book is still available, I believe, and a very good read. The
          concept of Lyons as the great military leader cut down early is pretty
          well dispelled by Phillips.

          Dave

          > I can't tell if you're expecting an answer or not. The old lady was
          > blind and probably ugly, yeah. The story is she wore a veil etc. So it
          > was easy to impersonate such a person, supposedly. Like I say, you've
          > got me wondering, all right, about the whole thing.
          >
          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@ wrote:
          > >

          > > If Lyon could impersonate Blair's blind mother in law, does that
          > mean that
          > > she was a rather unattractive old lady?
          > > --Nick

        • Steve Saultz
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
                         Thanks Dave...Much appreciated...I'll look for it.

                           The
            concept of Lyons as the great military leader cut down early is pretty
            well dispelled by Phillips.
                            Interesting,.. IMHO, from my reads, I found him, Lyons, to be a "cowboy", firecracker with short fuse...lol..somebody wasnt careful they'd definately get burned, flamboyant and cocky as Custer...
                Lesson in there somewhere..??? Look what happened to both of them...lol..

                     Again, I thankyou Dave......
                          Respectfully Your Humble Servant,
                           Capt. McCracken..............

            --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@. ..>
            wrote:

            > I can't tell if you're expecting an answer or not. The old lady was
            > blind and probably ugly, yeah. The story is she wore a veil etc. So it
            > was easy to impersonate such a person, supposedly. Like I say, you've
            > got me wondering, all right, about the whole thing.
            >
            > --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, nickrelee@ wrote:
            > >

            > > If Lyon could impersonate Blair's blind mother in law, does that
            > mean that
            > > she was a rather unattractive old lady?
            > > --Nick

          • Dave Smith
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 24, 2006
              Phillips details Lyon's strict religious sense of right and wrong
              that had repeatedly (including in Missouri) landed him in trouble
              with superiors.

              Lyon was a time bomb waiting to explode, and I doubt he'd have
              survived much into 1862 before someone like Halleck caught up with
              him.

              Dave

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Steve Saultz <tristan4th@...>