Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Greetings!

  • Steve Saultz
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 21, 2006
                Came across Black Jack in Thomas Goodrich's War to the Knife/Bleeding Kansas 1854-1861...
             Evidently, J.Brown had already began his terror, and a Henry C. Pate, St. Louis "Republican" reporter had proslavery posse out looking for him. As time went by, Brown with knowledge of Pate was joined by more Northeners and the chase reversed, ending up in a ravine around hamlet of Black Jack, Ks., where Pate and cohorts were surrounded & surrendered after brief skirmish. Evidently before Brown could or would hang them, Col. Edwin Sumner & Lt.J.E.B. Stuart soon overtook Brown & forced release of prisoners...  (pg.132-135, War to the Knife)
            But I believe there were a many skirmish in those neck of the woods (or plains), at that time. They, (borderfolks, Ks./Mo.), had been going at it for awhile... late 40s, early 1850s, they had "Slicker War"...Riding around in groups giving each others neighbors canings with young slender peeled green hickory & ash limbs, they called "slickers"...Can you imagine???
              Respectfully Your Humble servant,
               Capt. McCracken...........
      Carl Williams <carlw4514@...> wrote:
      well, how about that, black jack and lone jack too!
      shows to go you, I got plenty to learn!

      > Thanks for your reply Carl, but Lone Jack, MO is east of Kansas City.
      > The field I found is west of Kansas City, KS (between Baldwin City &
      > Gardner) and it's called Black Jack. Supposedly, it's the first battle
      > between pro-slavery & anti-slavery factions, John Brown's family and
      > others. I found some info on the web at
      > http://www.blackjac kbattlefield. org. Anyone living in the Kansas
      > City area might find it interesting to visit. I recently visited
      > Harper's Ferry, so I enjoyed the John Brown connection.
      >
      > Paulette

    • Charles
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 22, 2006
        --- Hi Paulette, good to see you on the list, I do more reading on
        this list than posting. This list is a good place for "War in the
        West" infro.

        Charles

      • rbaquero@netzero.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006

           Hi Paulette and Charles, is cool to have you both here in this list here is a Civil War Newspaper web, perhaps it will help you in your search for information :

                                             www.civilwarcourrier.com

           If you want to buy it, you can find it at Books a Million Bookstore's  magazines rack is U.S.$2 ones a month . Peace .

          -raul