Re: [civilwarwest] A matter of some definitions

  • Jfepperson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2006
      In a message dated 9/10/2006 5:37:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, banbruner@... writes:
      I my readings I have come across some terms with which I do not feel
      completely comfortable as to their meanings and or distinction:
      =====
      Most of this stuff is out-of-bounds for this group, but I'll try to
      help you with definitions.  (I don't think the boss will mind.)
      1. Lost Causer
      =====
      Someone who supports/accepts the "Lost Cause" interpretation of Civil War
      history, which basically is that the South's cause was virtuous and only
      defeated by overwhelming numbers, and RE Lee was a virtual saint.  Check
      out the book of essays edited by Alan Nolan and Gary Gallagher.
      2. Neo Confederate
      =====
      This is not well-defined.  Some folks use it to describe anyone who more
      or less supports the Confederate cause; others use it to describe modern
      Southern secessionists.
      3. Unreconstructed Rebel
      =====
      My father :-(  Someone who does not accept the historical verdict of 1865.

      JFE

      James F. Epperson
      http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/causes.html
      http://members.aol.com/siege1864