A matter of some definitions

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10 2:36 PM
      I my readings I have come across some terms with which I do not feel
      completely comfortable as to their meanings and or distinction:

      1. Lost Causer

      2. Neo Confederate

      3. Unreconstructed Rebel

      Bill Bruner
    • Tony Gunter
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10 2:39 PM
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>
        wrote:

        > I my readings I have come across some terms with which I do not feel
        > completely comfortable as to their meanings and or distinction:
        >
        > 1. Lost Causer
        >
        > 2. Neo Confederate
        >
        > 3. Unreconstructed Rebel
        >
        > Bill Bruner

        I believe this discussion to be wildly off topic for this here
        noosegroup.
      • Jfepperson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10 2:45 PM
          In a message dated 9/10/2006 5:37:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, banbruner@... writes:
          I my readings I have come across some terms with which I do not feel
          completely comfortable as to their meanings and or distinction:
          =====
          Most of this stuff is out-of-bounds for this group, but I'll try to
          help you with definitions.  (I don't think the boss will mind.)
          1. Lost Causer
          =====
          Someone who supports/accepts the "Lost Cause" interpretation of Civil War
          history, which basically is that the South's cause was virtuous and only
          defeated by overwhelming numbers, and RE Lee was a virtual saint.  Check
          out the book of essays edited by Alan Nolan and Gary Gallagher.
          2. Neo Confederate
          =====
          This is not well-defined.  Some folks use it to describe anyone who more
          or less supports the Confederate cause; others use it to describe modern
          Southern secessionists.
          3. Unreconstructed Rebel
          =====
          My father :-(  Someone who does not accept the historical verdict of 1865.

          JFE

          James F. Epperson
          http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/causes.html
          http://members.aol.com/siege1864