Re: [civilwarwest] Shiloh Question...picking a date

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 6, 2006
      In a message dated 9/6/2006 10:28:10 AM Central Daylight Time, ks@... writes:
      Not that it would be a conflict for many, but the weekend of October 20 - 22  a number of people from this group will be meeting in Springfield, Illinois to tour Lincoln sites as well as the new museum.
      The weekend of 28-29 will be posted about. Many of y'all will have other forums to post on. It's way too late to get anything formal going, but if there's interest, I'll block out some rooms in Savannah or Corinth (to be confirmed with your own credit card). Hagy's is always there, and I suspect that mass gatherings would be a bit of catch as catch can. Coolers and sandwich fixins with each car will also likely do. No money up front, just your room reservations. Everything else would be visited on the local population.

      Shall we get to work?
      Ken

      Pat:
      Have you some details on the Springfield visit? Sounds interesting.
      Ken
    • Dan G

        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 6, 2006
          In a message dated 9/6/2006 10:38:54 PM Central Daylight Time, dan6764@... writes:
          My vote is to go ahead and do it... Last time I was there I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Cornith and it was pretty good bunk..  I think it was like $60 for a King ..
          Corinth has its come-ons. Last time I was there we stayed in Selmer. Not fancy, but had a helluva nice little neighborhood cafe at the end of the drive. 'Coon season and all that. Selmer was approximately equidistant with Corinth. If there's no objection, I'll start exploring in Savannah first, Corinth second, Selmer third.

          So far, there's four "interested." Not enough to get excited about.
          Ken
        • Dan G
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 7, 2006
            Selmer will be fine with me.. I am not complicated...  I will see if I can round up an additional guy or two..  But heck... Even four can have a good time and learn a lot from each other...

            keeno2@... wrote:
            In a message dated 9/6/2006 10:38:54 PM Central Daylight Time, dan6764@yahoo. com writes:
            My vote is to go ahead and do it... Last time I was there I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Cornith and it was pretty good bunk..  I think it was like $60 for a King ..
            Corinth has its come-ons. Last time I was there we stayed in Selmer. Not fancy, but had a helluva nice little neighborhood cafe at the end of the drive. 'Coon season and all that. Selmer was approximately equidistant with Corinth. If there's no objection, I'll start exploring in Savannah first, Corinth second, Selmer third.

            So far, there's four "interested. " Not enough to get excited about.
            Ken

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • nickrelee@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 7, 2006
              I'll probably be in Tenn, just a matter of getting there on that particular weekend, and its something I won't really know for sure until a few days before hand.  But I'll probably be camping so it doesn't matter for me about hotels.  I agree Selmer isn't anything fancy but it was about the same distance as Corinth and it might just be perception but I think it was a quicker drive from Selmer than from Corinth.
              --Nick Kurtz

            • DPowell334@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 7, 2006
                In a message dated 9/7/2006 10:48:41 AM Central Standard Time, nickrelee@... writes:
                I'll probably be in Tenn, just a matter of getting there on that particular weekend, and its something I won't really know for sure until a few days before hand.  But I'll probably be camping so it doesn't matter for me about hotels.  I agree Selmer isn't anything fancy but it was about the same distance as Corinth and it might just be perception but I think it was a quicker drive from Selmer than from Corinth.
                --Nick Kurtz
                I would like to go, but the timing is bad for me. I will be at Chickamauga the last week in September, and in mid October, going to Gettysburg. I cannot squeeze in another trip.

                I expect to be going to Shiloh next spring with another discussion group, (CWDG) so at least I won't be too deprived.

                If you do go, be sure to make some time to visit and discuss the Jones field actions. I think they are an oft overlooked part of the field.

                Dave Powell
              • keeno2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 7, 2006
                  In a message dated 9/7/2006 10:48:59 AM Central Daylight Time, nickrelee@... writes:
                  I'll probably be camping so it doesn't matter for me about hotels
                  If gas comes down some, I may do the same. Understand there's a decent campground there. Do you know where it is? It isn't listed in Woodall's or the Good Sam book. Assume its in or near Shiloh (the hamlet), but didn't go south from the entrance to the park.

                  Ken
                • keeno2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 7, 2006
                    In a message dated 9/7/2006 11:07:56 AM Central Daylight Time, DPowell334@... writes:
                    If you do go, be sure to make some time to visit and discuss the Jones field actions. I think they are an oft overlooked part of the field.
                    Ah yes. Walked Jones Field while there, but didn't know enough about the action to appreciate the markers. Heard that the casualties in that part of the field overshadowed those at better-known hot spots.
                    Ken
                  • nickrelee@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 7, 2006
                      I dont know the name but its across the street from Ed Shaw's.  You'll be camped close to where Hardcastle's boys stepped off from to start the ball rolling.  If I go I'll probably make a dawn hike from there into Fraley field before the main group meets, unless the main group wants to also make a dawn hike.
                      --Nick Kurtz

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 7, 2006
                          Though my heart is with the south I will come up from Reconitoring Rd and meet you...

                          I think taking turns at being the leader is a great idea...   I could do most any of the areas.,.

                          Dan Graff

                          nickrelee@... wrote:
                          I dont know the name but its across the street from Ed Shaw's.  You'll be camped close to where Hardcastle's boys stepped off from to start the ball rolling.  If I go I'll probably make a dawn hike from there into Fraley field before the main group meets, unless the main group wants to also make a dawn hike.
                          --Nick Kurtz

                          In a message dated 9/7/2006 12:05:37 PM Mountain Daylight Time, keeno2@... writes:
                          If gas comes down some, I may do the same. Understand there's a decent campground there. Do you know where it is? It isn't listed in Woodall's or the Good Sam book. Assume its in or near Shiloh (the hamlet), but didn't go south from the entrance to the park.

                          Do you Yahoo!?

                        • gnrljejohnston
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 7, 2006
                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@... wrote:

                            > Once we figure out how many are expected maybe we should line up
                            people to
                            > kinda lead tours of the field. For instance someone could research
                            Jones
                            > Field a bit more and lead the group there, then we could go to the
                            church where
                            > someone else would be the leader. At least that's what my
                            roundtable does
                            > when we go on our travels and it works pretty good. I'd volunteer
                            to lead a
                            > section. I looked at my schedule and as long as I dont run into
                            much rain at
                            > Chattanooga I should be able to get to Shiloh on Oct 28-29.
                            > --Nick Kurtz

                            Going to this link, you can get an idea of the various stops you
                            might want to make. Some real good pix.

                            http://civilwaralbum.com/shiloh/index.htm

                            JEJ
                          • hank9174
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 8, 2006
                              The new 'Shiloh - A Battlefield Guide' by Grimsley and Woodworth is
                              excellent...

                              HankC

                              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "gnrljejohnston"
                              <GnrlJEJohnston@...> wrote:

                              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@ wrote:
                              > >

                              > > Once we figure out how many are expected maybe we should line up
                              > people to
                              > > kinda lead tours of the field. For instance someone could
                              research
                              > Jones
                              > > Field a bit more and lead the group there, then we could go to
                              the
                              > church where
                              > > someone else would be the leader. At least that's what my
                              > roundtable does
                              > > when we go on our travels and it works pretty good. I'd
                              volunteer
                              > to lead a
                              > > section. I looked at my schedule and as long as I dont run into
                              > much rain at
                              > > Chattanooga I should be able to get to Shiloh on Oct 28-29.
                              > > --Nick Kurtz
                              > >

                              > Going to this link, you can get an idea of the various stops you
                              > might want to make. Some real good pix.
                              >
                              > http://civilwaralbum.com/shiloh/index.htm
                              >
                              > JEJ

                            • Tom Parson
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 8, 2006
                                Hi guys,
                                I have lurked at this site for some time but rarely chime in, time
                                to step out of the shadows.
                                I am a Park Ranger from Shiloh stationed at the Corinth Civil War
                                Interpretive Center (though I live on the main park in Tennessee). I
                                would be glad to help with plans and make reccomendations for
                                lodging & eats. On the weekend you are planning I will ne working on
                                Saturday in Corinth but have Sunday off.
                                Tom

                              • keeno2@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 8, 2006
                                  In a message dated 9/8/2006 1:08:15 PM Central Daylight Time, calcav@... writes:
                                  On the weekend you are planning I will ne working on Saturday in Corinth but have Sunday off.
                                  Excellent! Time for a show of hands. Anyone from Illinois or on the road down want to share a ride? I figue to head out Thursday or Friday and head back Monday. Psst. I haven't told Dear One yet, so don't release the kitty from the sack until we get some real live commitments.
                                  Ken
                                • Dan G

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 8, 2006
                                      In a message dated 9/8/2006 6:36:36 PM Central Daylight Time, dan6764@... writes:
                                      am coming from Southern Illinois but will not be able to leave until Friday afternoon and will have to be back by late Sunday nite...  10PM or so...
                                      Dan Graff
                                      Dan. Doesn't look like there's more than a shred of interest. Maybe next year
                                      Lem
                                    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 9, 2006
                                        In a message dated 9/8/2006 6:56:32 P.M. Central Standard Time, keeno2@... writes:
                                        am coming from Southern Illinois but will not be able to leave until Friday afternoon and will have to be back by late Sunday nite...  10PM or so...
                                        Dan Graff
                                        Dan. Doesn't look like there's more than a shred of interest. Maybe next year
                                        Lem
                                        This is too bad, but the timing is bad for me. I do have a strong interest in Shiloh, having done a bit of original research into the battle and taken a group of friends down there last year.

                                        I am especially interested in the Jones field counter-attack action, Trabue's attack, etc. If the right time can be arranged, I would be glad to participate and help with that aspect of the field.

                                        Dave Powell
                                      • Dan G
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 10, 2006
                                          That is too bad..  Was hoping to meet some of you guys...  By then I am going to be needing some R&R..  I am probably going to wander down that way anyway...  If anyone is interested in meeting down there let me know..  I am flexible..  It does not have to be that specific weekend if another works better for someone else..  Just cant push it much earlier into October..
                                          Your Servant
                                          Dan

                                          keeno2@... wrote:
                                          In a message dated 9/8/2006 6:36:36 PM Central Daylight Time, dan6764@yahoo. com writes:
                                          am coming from Southern Illinois but will not be able to leave until Friday afternoon and will have to be back by late Sunday nite...  10PM or so...
                                          Dan Graff
                                          Dan. Doesn't look like there's more than a shred of interest. Maybe next year
                                          Lem

                                        • Gregg Alexander
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 10, 2006
                                            Any time in OCt is fine with me i live only 4hr form there.--- In
                                            civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DPowell334@... wrote:

                                            > In a message dated 9/8/2006 6:56:32 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                                            > keeno2@... writes:
                                            >

                                            > am coming from Southern Illinois but will not be able to leave
                                            until Friday
                                            > afternoon and will have to be back by late Sunday nite... 10PM
                                            or so...
                                            > Dan Graff
                                            >

                                            > Dan. Doesn't look like there's more than a shred of interest.
                                            Maybe next year
                                            > Lem
                                            >

                                            > This is too bad, but the timing is bad for me. I do have a strong
                                            interest
                                            > in Shiloh, having done a bit of original research into the battle
                                            and taken a
                                            > group of friends down there last year.
                                            >
                                            > I am especially interested in the Jones field counter-attack
                                            action,
                                            > Trabue's attack, etc. If the right time can be arranged, I would
                                            be glad to
                                            > participate and help with that aspect of the field.
                                            >
                                            > Dave Powell

                                          • gnrljejohnston
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 11, 2006
                                              > This is too bad, but the timing is bad for me. I do have a strong
                                              interest
                                              > in Shiloh, having done a bit of original research into the battle and
                                              taken a
                                              > group of friends down there last year.
                                              >
                                              > I am especially interested in the Jones field counter-attack action,
                                              > Trabue's attack, etc. If the right time can be arranged, I would be
                                              glad to
                                              > participate and help with that aspect of the field.
                                              >
                                              > Dave Powell

                                              This is also bad timing for me. I am planning however to get back to
                                              Shiloh next late March or mid April with another group that I am
                                              associated with. The exact date we haven't selected as of yet. My
                                              particular interest is following the movements of McDowell's brigade.
                                              My biggest problem is walking rough terrain now, since having two knee
                                              replacements takes a lot out of you.

                                              JEJ
                                            • rbaquero@netzero.net
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 11, 2006

                                                Hi !

                                                    This is what I found regarding the Battle of Shiloh, hope it will help you, have a good day !.

                                                                                  www.civilwarhome.com/shiloh.htm

                                                -Raul

                                              • keeno2@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 11, 2006
                                                  In a message dated 9/11/2006 5:08:16 AM Central Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
                                                  My biggest problem is walking rough terrain now, since having two knee
                                                  replacements takes a lot out of you.
                                                  I 'spect many of us are getting creakier and crankier. I'd like to have the concession of renting out golf carts at a few of the battlefields.
                                                  Ken
                                                • gnrljejohnston
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 11, 2006

                                                    > In a message dated 9/11/2006 5:08:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                                    > GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
                                                    > My biggest problem is walking rough terrain now, since having two
                                                    knee
                                                    > replacements takes a lot out of you.
                                                    > I 'spect many of us are getting creakier and crankier. I'd like to
                                                    have the
                                                    > concession of renting out golf carts at a few of the battlefields.
                                                    > Ken

                                                    That is another problem I have Ken, my golf cart will not fit in the
                                                    trunk of my car. :-)

                                                    JEJ
                                                  • Laurence D. Schiller
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Sep 12, 2006
                                                      Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Shiloh Question...picking a date
                                                      Hey guys - been mostly lurking. Wish I could attend but I'll be hosting a fencing meet at my university that day.

                                                      Best of luck

                                                      Laurie Schiller

                                                      --

                                                      Dr. Laurence D. Schiller
                                                    • Steve Saultz
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Sep 14, 2006
                                                           Greetings...
                                                             Sorry to intrude on Shiloh subject, but "fencing"?  That is really COOL!  How long Doc have you been involved?
                                                           Again my apologies..lol... But fencing, swords, sabres...??? fit a lil in CWWT? They were weapons?... Anyhow... Very interesting to say the least..Can you swing a sabre as well? It be nice to have extra "weapons" person to fall on occasionally in group..??
                                                           Thankyou anyway..Again I apologize for interruption...
                                                            Take care.......
                                                                Respectfully Your Humble Servant,
                                                                 Capt. McCracken

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Sep 14, 2006
                                                          Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Shiloh Question...picking a date
                                                          Hello Steve - I've been in fencing for 41 years, beginning as a high school student in NY. I've actually been the head coach at Northwestern University for 29 years and my program is one of the strongest in the NCAA. As far as the ACW, I've written a monograph on the evolution of Federal Cavalry tactics for BGES, part of which was also published in Jan. 1999 in North and South. (Shameless plug...). Someday my book on the evolution of cavalry tactics both north and south will get done - probably after I retire from Division I coaching. Fencing is very cool, I agree. One of the reasons I don't post much is being on the road so much recruiting, with the team, etc.

                                                          Now, back to the ACW.

                                                          Best,

                                                          Laurie Schiller