Re: The most important campaign

  • gnrljejohnston
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 6, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>
      wrote:

      > This thread has seemed to have played out. I have enjoyed it, all
      > posts have been well thought out and all opinions were backed by
      > facts and cogent reasoning.
      >
      > In the middle of this discussion, on the CW Talk Radio archives I
      > heard no less an authority as Richard McMurray state, and I
      > quote, "Mill Springs was far, far, more important strategically
      than
      > Gettysburg." Go figure.
      >
      > We have discussed Atlanta and Sheridan's Valley Campaign and
      > Farraguts conquest of Mobile Bay and their effects on the 64
      > elections. And the capture of Ft. Donelson with it's breaking ot
      the
      > Confederate center and subsequent effects. The importance or non
      > importance of the opening of the Mississippi at Vicksburg, the
      > turning back of Confederate offensives at Perryville, Gettysburg
      and
      > Antietam and the importance of the Emancipation Proclamation and
      > it's effect on foriegn interference. And the seven day's battles,
      > saving Richmond for a time and the prospect and ramifications of
      > ending the war before the Emancipation Proclamation. And now we are
      > talking about Polk's violation of Ky's neutrality.
      >
      > All are important and worthy of ones adherence. Thus I have
      decided to use am old fall back position: When confronted with
      numerous propositions, all equally attractive, and each supported by
      by good and seemingly equal evidence I will choose the one that
      pleases me the most.

      Bill Bruner

      Bill,
      Whether it be Richard McMurray, Castel, Sword, or any other
      historian, none are beyond making a mistake either in their research
      or in their conclusions. Even Ed Bearss will admit to that. Its not
      so much which one that pleases you the most, but as it is your
      determination, as it is others within this forum, to seek the factual
      truth as much as possible by your own research. Remember, nothing is
      true or false. It is all according to the color of the glass through
      which it is seen. You just have to choose the right color of glass
      to look through.

      JEJ
    • rbaquero@netzero.net
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 10, 2006

        ...No question about it, the TRUTH  is only one = Abuse of Power and politics .

        -raul