Re: The Beginning of the End

  • gnrljejohnston
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 6, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Black" <rblack0981@...> wrote:

      > I agree with the results of Polk's occupation of Columbus KY as you
      > mention them but the reasons why this occurred were much more
      extensive.
      > It is true the confederates made a very bad move as they got most of
      the
      > blame for violating KY neutrality. The federal goverment was just as
      > guilty if not greater as they had been sending arms into KY and been
      > openily recruiting within the state while setting up camps for federal
      > troops in KY ( Camp Dick Robinson and others ).

      Ron,
      The Confederates were also openly recruiting within the state. That
      was one of Sherman's concerns when he was still working under
      Anderson. The Zollicoffer and Buckner were signing up more recruits
      than what the Union forces were.. I guess the Union recruiters did not
      know how to make grits. :-)

      JEJ