Re: The Beginning of the End

  • gnrljejohnston
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 6, 2006

      > How much did Jeff Davis have to do with this bone-headed decision, is
      > what I'd like to know.
      > Same flawed thinking that led to firing on Sumter.

      The Secretary of War ordered Polk and Pillow to withdraw from Columbus
      and Kentucky immediately, but Davis cancelled that order. Davis was
      also advised not to fire on Sumter but then again, he went against the
      advice. Your description of him as a bone head is very apropo.

      JEJ
    • gnrljejohnston
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2006
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Black" <rblack0981@...> wrote:

        > I agree with the results of Polk's occupation of Columbus KY as you
        > mention them but the reasons why this occurred were much more
        extensive.
        > It is true the confederates made a very bad move as they got most of
        the
        > blame for violating KY neutrality. The federal goverment was just as
        > guilty if not greater as they had been sending arms into KY and been
        > openily recruiting within the state while setting up camps for federal
        > troops in KY ( Camp Dick Robinson and others ).

        Ron,
        The Confederates were also openly recruiting within the state. That
        was one of Sherman's concerns when he was still working under
        Anderson. The Zollicoffer and Buckner were signing up more recruits
        than what the Union forces were.. I guess the Union recruiters did not
        know how to make grits. :-)

        JEJ